Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 03:27 PM   #46
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
1. Faster focusing on Live View - almost useless now for moving objects
2 Tilt LCD, for ease in composition and to facilitate video and shooting from the hip.

I predict that will be the next incarnation - essentially a K-5-B, rather than a big leap like a K3.

12-09-2011, 04:18 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
9. Auto lens calibration of the PDAF using the CDAF of the camera.
Interesting idea, how would you propose for this to work?
12-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Could work like this:

1) you pin a test chart (*) on the wall and point the camera (on a tripod) to it and activate this.
2) The camera goes ahead and does CDAF with mirror up and
3) puts mirror down and reads the PDAF sensor

A back/front focus figure can probably be had from the CDAF sensor directly and converted to an AF adjustment setting. Failing that, the camera could go trough 2 and 3 trying different AF adjustment settings and pick the one where the CDAF sensor indicates best focus. Might make sense to do a couple of iterations and use the average of the settings thus derived.

(*) say, a .PDF on the CD/DVD that comes with the camera you can print on a sheet of paper, a simple high-contrast, AF-friendly pattern would do (but this could be fancier ...)
12-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
I can see a closed loop system

START
Take two shots - one with PDAF and one with CDAF
Compare shots
IF focus areas are comparable THEN no adjustment needed. EXIT
ELSE
adjust lens calibration (if second time through loop, did prior adjustment bring samples closer together or farther apart? adjust accordingly)
GO TO START

12-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #50
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well at the moment I need three hot shoes! 1: Lilliput Screen 2: GPS and er... oh yes 3: Flash.

I really liked the deeper grip on the K5 silver. Apart from that I guess it would be a increase in operation speed in all areas including sync. The auto calibration of lenses could be expanded further for focus bracketing and in addition to in camera HDR, in camera focus stacking. USB 3 connectivity & WiFi tethering.

Separate button for video, there are times when I don't want to take the camera away from my eye and a "filmic" moment occurs, obviously this could only work in conjunction with a hybrid viewfinder.

Oh can I also up the gain when focusing using live view, particularly at night, and not have it use/imitate the ISO setting especially when I'm in bulb!
12-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #51
Veteran Member

If they reissued my K20D with a tilt/swivel LCD I would be all over it. Or, if they reissued my K200D with a tilt/swivel LCD I would be all over that. If the next Pentax dSLR does not have a tilt/swivel screen I will buy an unmentionable that does.
12-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #52

autofocus

the k-5 needs better autofocusing.
12-09-2011, 05:33 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

It will have to be pretty special to beat the K5...but it just might be. 24MP would be a dream for a habitual cropper like me. I crop the crops...sometimes until they totally disappear......
Regards!

12-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #54

If Pentax improves the auto focus, maybe they could find a way to estimate the focus distance? That would be super cool for doing hyperfocal focusing.

Baring something like that or the other things mentioned so far, I think I'll upgrade to the K5 when the new one comes out
12-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Focus. Smaller points. Faster. Implies improvements in lenses.

Uncrippled mounts. Or improvements where functions are consistent across mounts.

Better viewfinder screen.

Two cards.

A way to have user setups loaded with specific lenses. An auto calibration procedure for metering which saves the curves would allow a K mount to be more automatic. Tethering would help here due to the amount of data entry.

Full featured video.

Larger buffer/ faster writing. I regularly run up against the limit even when doing quick individual shots.
12-09-2011, 07:24 PM   #56
Site Supporter

I don't think the new camera that is likely based on the Sony 24mp sensor will offer anything dramatically new over the 16mp one on the K5. So if I am to be convinced to get one, then it will be for useful and attractive features.

Maybe :
1. Better and faster AF accuracy
2. Uncrippled mount
3. Focus peaking
4. Less lag between pressing shutter releaseand photo taken like a mirror less
5. Higher max flash syn speed

In fact if they brought out a nex5n that uses k-mount, is KR proportioned with built in evf similar to the one on A77, I'd buy it in an instant
12-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #57
Site Supporter

It would take a lot of special features to get me to buy a bigger or heavier camera. So if they can keep the size down, and retain the compact solid feel of the K-5, with similar great ergonomics, I might get interested. Then:
- better autofocus;
- auto indication of DOF, and hyperfocal distance based on lens and aperture;
- same back compatibility with legacy lenses.
But I'm pretty happy with my K-5.
12-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #58

I would buy the next camera if it was FF. But I would also like the ability to fast pace sync with studio flashes via wireless radio triggers. I know you can trick it on a canon and possibly a nikon but for some reason pentax won't. Id rather not use ND filters the get shallow DOF with flash off camera in the middle of the day.

Otherwise the K5 is awesome
12-10-2011, 09:49 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sbroadbentphoto Quote
I would buy the next camera if it was FF. But I would also like the ability to fast pace sync with studio flashes via wireless radio triggers. I know you can trick it on a canon and possibly a nikon but for some reason pentax won't. Id rather not use ND filters the get shallow DOF with flash off camera in the middle of the day.
This can probably be fixed w/ software....they just shut off the sync/hotshoe pulse when the shutter is about 1/180, but Canikon don't. I'm guessing it was to head off the complaints from people who would return the camera because of black bars at 1/200 shutter speed
12-11-2011, 12:42 AM   #60
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
This can probably be fixed w/ software....they just shut off the sync/hotshoe pulse when the shutter is about 1/180, but Canikon don't. I'm guessing it was to head off the complaints from people who would return the camera because of black bars at 1/200 shutter speed
Better not do it.
If not, we'll get another 'K? is the worst camera ever!" thread for another year.

Too bad Pentax doesn't just let the fine print in the camera manual protect them from liability from such things.
If they did, perhaps we'd see un-guaranteed/uncontrolled flash sync speed above 1/180 and perhaps things like matrix metering with manual lenses.