Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What would make you upgrade to the next flagship APS-C?

Being a Digital Pentax shooter since the 100D first came out, and an MX shooter before that I always found great reasons to upgrade.

100D to 20D was an obvious choice. Going for 20D to 5D was another obvious choice. (I was going to go K7 but didn't see a big enough improvement.)

With how impressed I am with the K5 after nearly a year of operation I'm not to sure what I would want to upgrade again the APS-C format.

What are other peoples opinions on the matter?

12-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my case it is easy - if I got a huge raise from my employer I'll upgrade. Otherwise I stick to the K-5 for some more time - honestly, I have tried shooting with more expensive cameras like d3, D700, 5D or even 1D and still I believe the K-5 is the best camera I could have, regardless of the money spent. I do not need a better one.
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #3

I moved back to Pentax from a Canon 5DII because it is so much easier to carry and gives me great shots. I am happy with the small sensor. Sensor technology has come a long way in the past few years.
12-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite honestly, I have no idea what the next big thing will be. Having a K20d, I skipped the K7 for the K5 and am totally happy with it (warts and mirror flopping all). There will be a next big thing and likely one after that too. I'm not one who is waiting for that Pentax K1 or K3 full frame beast but clearly that would be a significant source of temptation for many, and as much as I've said it before, I'd consider it if it came out at a non-astronomical price.

If the next Pentax, lets call it the K5 mark II came out with a 20-25mp sensor and some extra bells and whistles, I'd find it interesting but not compelling as more mp isn't what I need.

12-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Having just upgraded from the K-r I believe it will be some time before I upgrade again.......
12-08-2011, 05:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I would be happy to upgrade to just a K-5+ that lacked unwanted features like my buttons falling off, locking up on low battery, front focusing in low light, etc. Seriously, I would pay to upgrade to k-5 clone if it were as solid as my k20d which has never had a single glitch. Its not just a bad copy of the k-5.....I am on my 3rd copy in a year. A bigger, better sensor would be gravy, as would autofocus in movie mode and any number of nice to haves but the one new feature that would jump out would be faster and more accurate AF-C focusing.
12-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Rotating LCD.

12-08-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Full mechanical support for M42 lenses, including open aperture metering. An ESII type viewfinder blind would also be nice.
12-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #9
Banned

Anything that has Pentax labeled on it, that is proven better than the K5 in high ISO, dynamic range and IQ.
I'm in.
12-08-2011, 07:00 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
K5 is a superb camera...
If Pentax has a new model with any form of upgrade, i'm in...
I am sure i can house a telephoto zoom on my K5 as my second camera..
12-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Full mechanical support for M42 lenses, including open aperture metering. An ESII type viewfinder blind would also be nice.
I'd buy one of those, same if they added the aperture coupling back to the k mount, or, if they added TTL flash to support legacy lenses in flash mode

Aside from that there is not too much, everything else could be software upgrades
12-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hand me a free K-3 (or whatever they'll call it) and I'll upgrade, lol. Well, I won't throw my K-x in the trash but I'll relegate it to second body, how's that? But no way I'd just go out and buy the new one for kicks. I don't have that kind of money. The fact that I even have my K-x now is a bit of a miracle.

If I suddenly won the lottery? I'd buy a K-5, probably a K-3 too when it comes out. At that point I might even find someone to give my K-x to. As much as I love it at that point I wouldn't need it. (Maybe I'd even buy a few K-5's for a lucky crew of folks on here, grin.) But I don't feel the need to upgrade just to upgrade. I do need a second digital body, doing professional work I think you need a backup plan, but 2 is all I can ever see myself owning in so far as digital bodies are concerned. Three or more cameras that cost that much would be a real luxury unless I was stinking rich.

The K-5 is honestly more camera than I need except for the whole WR thing which I do think would come in handy. I want one, but I could do with a lesser camera for my 2nd body really. I don't need an upgrade for that so much as I just need a comparable backup camera. I like to be able to take it out by the ocean and in the rain to shoot sans worry. I'm a little nervous about putting that much stress on my K-x. It's been factory serviced once. So far, so good, knock on wood, but I don't think I'd chance dunking it in a stream or taking it out during a storm. I think that would be pushing my camera too far.

K-5 I wouldn't have to worry about much, that's for sure. But probably I'll end up buying a used K-r to go with my K-x and that will be it. I was saving up for a K-x. I still have a piggy bank designated for a K-r or similar. Maybe there's a used K-7 or K-5 in my future instead, who knows? I'm fine till then though. I think I am ahead of the game actually with my K-x. I didn't think I'd have one yet so...

12-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

A 12 mp sensor, bigger ovf, at least triple the number of AF points (smaller points too), and an uncrippled k mount and I'm in. As a bonus I'd like Pentax to bring back full functionality of power zoom (tracking and auto zoom).
12-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Rotating LCD.
+1, that's about the only thing that would interest me.
12-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Full manual video with a multimedia grip - XLR inputs, audio monitoring, etc...