Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #16

For the body: A better 100% angle of view optical view finder with no magnification and a rotating, high resolution display.
For the sensor: I don't care how many pixels, I was image quality above all others. I will not mind paying more knowing that this is a flagship DSLR. Low light, contrast control and just better all around out of camera raw performance.

12-08-2011, 08:04 PM   #17

Better Low-light, Better Focus, Full Frame, 18Mpixel.

I really like my K-5:

(1) Small form factor.
(2) Haptics/Usage, in particular knob/button placement and the green button, single hand operation.
(3) Wide dynamic range of the RAW files
(4) Good prime lenses

I don't care or want more pixels than 18M; I'd rather have improved low-light performance.

I feel insecure about the K-5's focusing ability with moving subjects, especially in low light.

I have great prime lenses, in particular the 31mm and 77mm limiteds. The former is a great performer, and the 77mm has wonderful, creamy bokeh. But, I wish I could use the 31mm and 77mm to their full capability on a FF sensor.

My ideal replacement would be a Full Frame 18M (maybe 24M) sensor with improved focus engine.
12-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Probably FF
12-08-2011, 09:49 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the price of the K5 essentially under $1K - now, I have the cash sitting right here in the desk drawer - but its not burning a hole in my pocket. My current K20 is as solid as a rock and is serving me well. That's my delima. I am willing to wait and see what the K3 (or what ever its called) actually is, and make a decision. What I would like to see...
  • A unit as solid as the K20
  • Tethering
  • I would really like to see the K3 fully integrated with the GPS for astro tracking - something I would really like to do.... I have read posts about it not working well.
  • ISO 50 & 25
  • I really don't need any more MegaPixels - especially if they add any noise to the design
  • My K20 still hunts when I feel it shouldn't so some better Autofocusing.
  • Every time I pull the SD card out of the K20 I think of the comments about difficulties on the K5.
But, it essentially comes down to what is in the new K3. If there is nothing really compelling over the K5, i.e., not a substantial part of the above list, then I just would pick up the K5 and be happy for the next few years. I called the K20 such a large feature jump over the K100 that it was probably my last body. And that still could be the case.

All of that said, if the K3 hits all of my points, then I still need to wait the better part of the year for all the early adopters to shake, rattle and roll with it. I would rather you all test it out and demonstrate that its as rock solid as the K20.

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-09-2011 at 06:54 AM.
12-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Anyone of these:
- Full-frame in the K-7/K-5 smaller than the competition for its feature set style.
- RF wireless flash with P-TTL. Improvements in how FP sync works to make it more seamless in general. Well just improvements in the flash system in general...
- A worth while improvement in video control and quality (1080p 30fps, 720p 60fps). Keep mjpeg as an encoding option, but also offer another format that is more space efficient yet still has good quality.
- All metal casing and buttons (titanium) with improved durability in general.
12-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

So far, no problems with my K-5 and I'm really happy with it. As long as it stays that way I can see keeping this camera for a while, at least the next 5 years, before the next upgrade. I haven't really identified any major nitpicks yet.
12-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #22

I would only upgrade to a full-frame (or medium format) now

12-09-2011, 03:01 AM   #23
Banned

APS-H at #1

Well my ultimate upgrade would have a APS-H sensor with 16 megapixels at max and a stunning performance at hi-iso-settings.

For my K-5 replacement (I have two and one is Silver) I have the following wishes:

1) Sensor: looking at the sensor performance it can have the current 16 mp sensor or the new 24mp sensor. Both of them are good, but not making me to descide to swith both camera's (so I keep my K-5 Silver).
2) Electronics. If it runs on a PRIME III processor that is at least twice the speed of the PRIME II processor and supports UHS-I writingspeed I will replace my black K-5.
3) AF: If it has a descent performance/upgrade to being able of AF-c properly and better low light performance and no focus shift with certain light I will replace my black K-5.
4) SR: a better performing SR system would make me upgrade the black K-5.

Since I don't expect a better performing APS-C sensor at hi-iso-settings at this time there is no way that it will be meeting all my demands.

For a compact well performing APS-H sensor camera with all above mentioned improvements I would trade in both of my K-5's. I do hope they will make a Silver edition again.
12-09-2011, 03:11 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I think the only way I'd upgrade from my K200D would be:

1. A huge raise
2. A huge windfall
3. A K5 pricepoint of 400 GBP or less
4. My current camera breaking (in which case the "upgrade" would be to a second hand K200D / K20D or K7)

Just as well I love the K200D then, isn't it?

J.
12-09-2011, 03:16 AM   #25
Veteran Member

What would make me upgrade? A large inheritance. C'mon and DIE, somebody!! (Present company excluded. Mostly.)

Technically: FF, fast AF, high & low ISO (20-200k), rotating LCD, TTL support, great QC, tethering, and more-programmable controls.

The right GXR mountor might be very tempting too.
12-09-2011, 05:46 AM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

This is not a FF thread, it's what should be change to the K-5, We have enought FF thread
12-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
What would make you upgrade to the next flagship APS-C?

My dealer getting one in for me will be when I upgrade.
12-09-2011, 07:00 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh, and one more thing - separate WB and drive mode buttons!
12-09-2011, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

The K-5 is an excellent camera. I have owned the following Pentax dslr cameras: *istDS, K10D, K20D, K-7 and K-5. I love the K-5 enough to buy a second one for a back-up.

Now what would it take in a APS-C replacement of the K-5 for me to want to upgrade is a very good question.

1. One of my biggist complains with the K-5 is the AF points. I would love to see spot (smaller) AF points as an option. JUst 5 spot AF points would be fine with me with one in the center and the other 4 at the 1/3 intersections. They could also keep the 11 large area AF points. Then again it could also be done with many more AF points. Maybe 55 AF points in 11 groups.

2. Better sensor performance with more DR and less noise.

3. Iso 25.

4. Better SR.

5. Improved flash system. Built-in wireless flash controller would be nice.

6. Dual SD slots.

7. Hybrid viewfinder. Pentax does have a patent for one.

8. Built-in WIFI with apps so that smart phones and tablets can be used for a remote control with the ability to view the liveview image on the tablet (or smart phone) and use the tablet (or smart phone) to store the image file after the shot is taken.

9. Auto lens calibration of the PDAF using the CDAF of the camera.

10. General faster overall operation.

All of these goodies will require a slightly larger camera body (maybe K10D size body.
12-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

A faster CPU would be nice in a new flagship, maybe double CPU's like the Canon 7D, to speed up image capture processing. When it is digesting newly captured images, especially shooting RAW+, the K-5 can feel somewhat laggy, even when using a fast SDHC card.

If the K-5 successor has more MP, better video etc, I guess a faster CPU is going to be a given though.