Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
While I like BH very much and have ordered a lot from them, the price of K-5 is just too high ($1200). So I went through the "dark" side and order one through the infamous BestPricePhoto. Called them and refused all the "bells and whistles" and told them that I was pretty familiar with the thing. So the deal came through ($930) after one minute of conversation.

Will update you my "dark" experience after I receive the body.

BTW: Chatted with Pentax support and they OKed the extended warranty (2 extra yrs for $20), even though BestPricePhoto is not an authorized dealer. There is also NO shutter account limit on the warranty. I shoot about 60k per year. So the warranty is of great value if it works as Pentax has proclaimed.
Your very daring. Here is their address when I google "bestpricephoto nyc",

2380 60th Street, Brooklyn , NY 11204

go look it up on google maps and check out the store front via street view & tell us what you think.

02-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
You may have't to worry about a lot more than the warranty. These stores survive by advertising low prices and then scam customers by selling them overpriced unwanted accessories (such as "long life batteries"), by padding shipping/ packing charges or by adding non-optional "insurance". These usually put the final price above what you would have paid at a reputable store like Adoramo or B$H.

Run, run, very far away from these guys!

Mike
This is a great point. When you see a good price on gear on someone's website, scroll down and look over the 'recommended items' on the page. When you see $150 memory cards (often off-brand ones) it's a serious clue as to their intent.
02-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote

go look it up on google maps and check out the store front via street view & tell us what you think.
I feel sorry for any honest business that tries to open a camera store in Brooklyn. There have been so many scams by the Brooklyn camera crooks that there are entire websites devoted to tracking the scam artists.

I have no direct experience with bestpricephoto but *any* camera address in Brooklyn raises a red flag. After more consumers catch on, then the scammers will start working out of a different part of NYC.
02-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
Try AjRichies.com, their price is $899.95 free shipping.
This is a total scam site! AjRichard.com as well!

03-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I purchased from BestPricePhoto in January of this year and am pleased. The camera arrived quickly (no shipping fee!) and is in good working order. Yes, there are a lot of sellers out there and many of them shady to say the least. But if you check the feedback, the vast majority of buyers seem pleased.
03-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Resellerratings.com has some interesting feedback and some of it is probably from real customers. (Some, alas, sound a bit too good to be true.)

Regardless of the numerical rating, there seems to be a few common threads in the negative reviews. Sounds like it may be OK if all works well on the first attempt but dicey if things don't go as planned.

I'd also note that they don't seem to carry much stock but instead order it drop shipped from another seller. That means that they don't necessarily know what's available and cannot guarantee availability or order status. I'm looking for a K-5 but would give this outfit amiss.

BTW, it has the smell of a seller that promises a "free gift" to those who post a five-star review. That alone might explain something ....
03-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Okay, here's a followup to my last post. When I got the camera from Best PricePhoto there was no invoice. I had to request one and one was sent e-mail. It has the date of purchase and an "order number, but does not have the camera serial number. I just hope this is valid. It does say on the web site "1 year U.S. warranty." Now whether this is a genuine Pentax warranty or from "Fred's Camera Service and Storm Doors" is another question. I did call Pentax and they told me that if the camera was purchased from any dealer in the U.S. it was under warranty. Interested in anyone else's experience with BPF.
03-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OTTSY Quote
I purchased from BestPricePhoto in January of this year and am pleased. The camera arrived quickly (no shipping fee!) and is in good working order. Yes, there are a lot of sellers out there and many of them shady to say the least. But if you check the feedback, the vast majority of buyers seem pleased.
QuoteOriginally posted by OTTSY Quote
Okay, here's a followup to my last post. When I got the camera from Best PricePhoto there was no invoice. I had to request one and one was sent e-mail. It has the date of purchase and an "order number, but does not have the camera serial number. I just hope this is valid. It does say on the web site "1 year U.S. warranty." Now whether this is a genuine Pentax warranty or from "Fred's Camera Service and Storm Doors" is another question. I did call Pentax and they told me that if the camera was purchased from any dealer in the U.S. it was under warranty. Interested in anyone else's experience with BPF.
I smell fish.

03-05-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I have seen others report that Pentax USA will, for some reason, honor warranties for cameras purchased in the US. I am certain that none of my four (five?) bodies came with a warranty document. I was simply told to send it in with a copy of the invoice. I don't remember if the serial number was required on the invoice but the date certainly was.

I've not had to use Pentax warranty service yet and my bodies were purchased through well-known sources. I've never chosen to deal with a company like this but that could change.
03-05-2012, 06:33 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Places like BestPricePhoto *may* (but don't hold your breath on it) send you the camera; HOWEVER, it will be gray market i.e., imported.
03-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #26
Pentaxian

And the others are made in the US ?
03-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
I smell fish.
I smell Bestpricephoto Troll myself. from post one

these brooklyn guys are best avoided. Not a chance in hell if I was opening a camera store I would do so in Brooklyn. the reputation all these scammers have developed has made it impossible for anyone to open a legit store there
03-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote

I love the pile of cardboard boxes full of junk and tripods on the sidewalk LOL

Some of the Brooklyn sellers look even worse than this at least this is an actual camera store of some limited description
03-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yyyzzz Quote
While I like BH very much and have ordered a lot from them, the price of K-5 is just too high ($1200). So I went through the "dark" side and order one through the infamous BestPricePhoto. Called them and refused all the "bells and whistles" and told them that I was pretty familiar with the thing. So the deal came through ($930) after one minute of conversation.

Will update you my "dark" experience after I receive the body.

BTW: Chatted with Pentax support and they OKed the extended warranty (2 extra yrs for $20), even though BestPricePhoto is not an authorized dealer. There is also NO shutter account limit on the warranty. I shoot about 60k per year. So the warranty is of great value if it works as Pentax has proclaimed.
Well after looking at the reviews below and realizing the high ratings are almost certainly troll reviews from the company I hope it works out for you. Almost certainly what you are receiving is grey market

Bestpricephoto.com Website Reviews - Page 1 | SiteJabber

For the difference in price versus known authorized dealers it's not worth it IMO (As a US citizen you could also buy from a Canadian company and register the international warranty (the card is in the box) and have a valid Pentax warranty)
You can get the camera up here for $955 or so at Aden and Lorizeau (many other dealers will match those prices as well but you have to call in for a match)
Prodigital2000 also ships to US with 1 year US warranty and are usually less than $1000
03-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #30
Pentaxian

The warranty in Canada from Pentax is 2 years also