Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2011, 09:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
bestpricephoto any good?

I am shopping for a new K-5. I found a website called www.bestpricephoto.com selling new K-5 Body only for $979, when all the others are selling for over $1000. It would be helpful to know if any of the forum user has had any good/bad experience with this dealer. ( The dealer rating I checked does seem to be bad though over 4 out 5 with more than 800 ratings)

Thanks

Mouli.

12-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

You should stiock with reputed sellers: your local dealer or large, well-established like Adorama and B&H. By buying through Adorama and B&H, you further suppor the PF using the URL provided by Adam: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/128050-where-bu...t-upgrade.html.

The main issue is the warranty. You want piece of mind and be assured that the seller will fulfill its warranty commitments if needed.
12-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Not an AD.

Bestpricephoto.com Website Reviews - Page 1 | SiteJabber
12-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
They seem to be a real scumbag operation.

12-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
The main issue is the warranty. You want piece of mind and be assured that the seller will fulfill its warranty commitments if needed.
Warranties are through the manufacture.
12-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Warranties are through the manufacturer, not the reseller.
12-09-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
- Not if it is a grey market import.
Here in Australia the authorised importer is C R Kennedy & Co who specifically refuse to honour warranty claims for items not distributed by themselves. (Which of course is only right given that some grey importer gets the sale profit which naturally covers the liability for any warranty claim). The grey importer/seller may provide a warranty, but it will not be through an authorised Pentax repairer.

12-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I changed the thread title from "help!!!" to something a bit more searchable

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-10-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK:
- Not if it is a grey market import.
I think SpecialK's implication was that a 'warranty' offered by a gray-market seller is just about worthless, that only a warranty backed by the maker or an official distributor has any value.
12-10-2011, 03:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I think SpecialK's implication was that a 'warranty' offered by a gray-market seller is just about worthless, that only a warranty backed by the maker or an official distributor has any value.
If so, my mistake! I thought he was implying that regardless of the seller's geography or authorisation, Pentax has the ultimate liability for the warranty, and that may be correct but it is much easier to deal with the authorised local people.
12-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
If so, my mistake! I thought he was implying that regardless of the seller's geography or authorisation, Pentax has the ultimate liability for the warranty, and that may be correct but it is much easier to deal with the authorised local people.
You may have't to worry about a lot more than the warranty. These stores survive by advertising low prices and then scam customers by selling them overpriced unwanted accessories (such as "long life batteries"), by padding shipping/ packing charges or by adding non-optional "insurance". These usually put the final price above what you would have paid at a reputable store like Adoramo or B$H.

Run, run, very far away from these guys!

Mike
12-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Try AjRichies.com, their price is $899.95 free shipping.
12-10-2011, 09:13 AM   #13

Original Poster
Adam, Thanks for changing the Post title. (don't know why I didn't think about that)

Thanks to all the folks that responded to my concern.
12-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by violini Quote
Try AjRichies.com, their price is $899.95 free shipping.
Another one that is NOT an AD and should be googled before attempting to make a purchase.

thoughts-of-dave: ajrichard.com aka AJ Richard: Beware

http://www.sitejabber.com/reviews/www.ajrichard.com
02-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

BestPricePhoto experience

While I like BH very much and have ordered a lot from them, the price of K-5 is just too high ($1200). So I went through the "dark" side and order one through the infamous BestPricePhoto. Called them and refused all the "bells and whistles" and told them that I was pretty familiar with the thing. So the deal came through ($930) after one minute of conversation.

Will update you my "dark" experience after I receive the body.

BTW: Chatted with Pentax support and they OKed the extended warranty (2 extra yrs for $20), even though BestPricePhoto is not an authorized dealer. There is also NO shutter account limit on the warranty. I shoot about 60k per year. So the warranty is of great value if it works as Pentax has proclaimed.