Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

A rude awakening.

This morning, at just after the crack of noon and with the hangover from hell, I got woken by the postman with a letter from the taxman I really, really wasn't expecting. After the postman gave me the letter I took it indoors and opened it, and saw a bill for just under a thousand quid. Once I'd recovered from the shock of how much I owed, I looked at it again, and saw that, not only was it a grand I didn't owe, but a cheque for a rebate for a shade under 1000. And here's me wanting a k5, Christmas on the way and the trip to the Faroes I want to make .

Guess what I'll be spending 700 of the money on... So excited by this that I accidently have already bought a grip, two batteries and a split-screen ready for when the cheque's cleared and the camera's in my hand. No news here, I'm just very, very chuffed that I can finally buy a k5 and see what all the fuss is about after suffering (!) for a whole year with my kx, and get to the Faroes to take some photos of an amazing place.

I'm now wearing my chufty badge with pride....

12-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Enjoy your new toys. They will come in very handy on your trip.
12-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Congrats! Not sure what you mean by suffering with K-x though, since even if the handling isn't perfect, there's a lot to love on that camera.
12-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Enjoy your new toy, good story BTW.

12-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Great news. Congratulations. The K-x is a very nice little camera and deserves more respect IMHO. I kept it as my backup for the K5.
12-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Good news; congrats.
12-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

You will be thrilled, no doubt about it! Not to take away your joy, I'd be equally thrilled myself, but my belief is that if you want something new, or something better, or bigger, or whatever...be very thankful for what you already have. Works for me!

Best wishes for a great trip!
Regards!
12-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's always a nice surprise when Uncle Sam (or John Bull?) sees fit to give you some of your hard earned money back. Enjoy it in good health, my friend! The K-5 is a wonderful camera.

12-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
Once I'd recovered from the shock of how much I owed, I looked at it again, and saw that, not only was it a grand I didn't owe, but a cheque for a rebate for a shade under 1000.
Stone the crows, - what did you have the night before that you couldn't make the dif between debit and credit the morning after !

Whatever it was, don't have it again before using your new K-5 or else all you shots may turn out as negatives !

Greetings

Aussie Slang "A"
12-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Stone the crows, - what did you have the night before that you couldn't make the dif between debit and credit the morning after !

Whatever it was, don't have it again before using your new K-5 or else all you shots may turn out as negatives !

Greetings

Aussie Slang "A"
I'm just so used to getting bills that I couldn't quite get my head around being given money for a change. And for the record, I was drinking cider the night before...

When I said 'suffered' with my kx I was being ironic. I love the camera and will most likely keep it as a backup - I've learnt so much and had so much fun with it that I don't know if I could bear to part with it. I've used it so much in the last year or so I've grown calluses on my right hand/fingers; it feels like an extension of my hand, eye and imagination.
12-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...t my belief is that if you want something new, or something better, or bigger, or whatever...be very thankful for what you already have. Works for me!
Works for me too, I'm still very happy to have a camera at all and appreciate it every time I take the lens cap off.
12-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm just so used to getting bills that I couldn't quite get my head around being given money for a change
I know what you mean

I was drinking cider the night before...
That explains it

Greetings and enjoy the festive season and your new toy.
12-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Works for me too, I'm still very happy to have a camera at all and appreciate it every time I take the lens cap off.
The Devil Squirrel sees good fortune in your future. So do I!
Regards!
12-16-2011, 07:27 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The Devil Squirrel sees good fortune in your future. So do I!
Regards!
Thanks, I might have to post a few shots of Otis' English cousins soon, the local parks are full of them burying conkers and acorns and getting ready for winter at the moment.

Postman just called, I think I'm in love... Just got to wait for the battery to charge, then I'm off to shoot a mate's band this evening to give it a going try out.
12-19-2011, 05:22 AM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This is even better than I was hoping, I thought it'd take me a while to get used to the layout of the k5 but, after all the time spent with my kx the interface is completely instinctive. I love Tav and I think I'm going to have to remind myself that there are other settings, and the autofocus speed is a nice step up. The kit lens ain't bad either, the shots below were all taken with it. A faster lens wouldn't have been too much more use either due to dof. All in all, I couldn't be happier with this camera.
Attached Images

Last edited by wildweasel; 12-19-2011 at 05:44 AM.