Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 03:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
In my K-5's the anti-shake is inaudible.
Ditto here.

The situation may be different when using LiveView or video with the SR active, when the SR may be more active and audible. Perhaps that is what is being referred to.

Either way, before handing it back, I'd reset the camera config to factory defaults, including all AF adjustments, and see if that makes a difference.

12-12-2011, 04:27 AM   #17
Pentaxian

It is possible that your K-5 copy was defective, but on the other hand, unless the K-7's noise or shutter blur issue causes you headaches, I think that going for the 77/1.8 makes more sense than getting a K-5.

I believe that photographically a lens like the 77/1.8 will be more satisfying than a slightly faster AF (which is known to fail in low light, BTW, even after the firmware "fix") and the best sensor noise performance.

Some people really benefit from the improvement the K-5 brought, others will benefit more from getting a better lens for their K-7.

If the camera upgrade isn't urgent for you, I'd wait a bit longer and see what 2012 brings. You can still get a K-5 after having convinced yourself that the new models are not for you (yet).
12-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I believe that photographically a lens like the 77/1.8 will be more satisfying
For around the same price I would also try out the new Sigma 85/1.4. I have the Zeiss 85/1.4, tried the 77 last week (disappointed after all the hoo-ha) and tried the Sigma 85/1.4 today (still to process the shots) ..... this will be in my bag later this month. Incredibly fast AF on the K5 and incredibly sharp. I can see how multiple reviews have this as better than any 85 from Canikon, yes .... even those !
12-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A friend of mine has the 85/1.4 for his Canon. It surely is a beautiful lens, and I think I read Adam saying it was as good as the FA85/1.4. It is very well built and beautiful to behold. I thought the output was only ok from the processed images my friend brought back to me. I think I shot better images with my K-r and 135/2.5 Tak on the same day we brought them into work(similar subjects and lighting), but he is mostly a video guy. He takes amazing videos with the lens. If only I lived near a great camera store like Adorama or B&H and I could test everything in person. I do trust your opinion considering all the great photos you have posted. Do you think the 85/1.4 might suffer from the dreaded Sigma QC issues?

12-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
A friend of mine has the 85/1.4 for his Canon. It surely is a beautiful lens, and I think I read Adam saying it was as good as the FA85/1.4. It is very well built and beautiful to behold. I thought the output was only ok from the processed images my friend brought back to me. I think I shot better images with my K-r and 135/2.5 Tak on the same day we brought them into work(similar subjects and lighting), but he is mostly a video guy. He takes amazing videos with the lens. If only I lived near a great camera store like Adorama or B&H and I could test everything in person. I do trust your opinion considering all the great photos you have posted. Do you think the 85/1.4 might suffer from the dreaded Sigma QC issues?
Thanks Kenafein - it was nice of you to say that.

I have two other (sorry three other !) Sigma lenses (10-20 / 50-150 / 30) and I've not had a single issue with any of them. I try 2 or 3 lenses each time I buy a lens but the only one that I had a real issue buying was the Tamron 17-50/2.8 (a superb lens when you get a good one) ! Added to that you have Sigma's great guarantee (only one year over here but it's like 3 - 6 years elsewhere in the world isn't it) ?
12-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Thanks Kenafein - it was nice of you to say that.

Added to that you have Sigma's great guarantee (only one year over here but it's like 3 - 6 years elsewhere in the world isn't it) ?
Ten years in Canada! I guess Sigma figures we don't get out much.