Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sadly returning my K-5

I bought a K-5 from Adorama during their Black Friday sale. After one failed photo shoot and a few hundred test shots I am sadly disappointed. It is not the leap forward I was hoping for. I have to imagine it's somehow defective. After my bad holiday photo session with my daughter, I started checking focus of the various lenses I used and, even dialed in to the best of my ability, the AF performance is terrible. It does focus fast in low light, but I have overall better success with my K20D. I really wanted to like this camera, and I know you guys all get terrific results out of them, it's probably a bad copy, but I think I'm going to wait on the K-3 and enjoy my K20D and K-r in the meantime.

12-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like you might have a broken copy or something, because the K-5 more or less stomps the K20 is all aspects as far as specs are concerned.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I second that. You definitely had a bad copy if it couldn't match and exceed your K20D.

I still use a K20D along with my L-5 across a wide range of lenses with no discernible differences in performance.
12-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Maybe you adjusted the AF wrong?
It is hard to adjust AF right, but very easy to do wrong.

12-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well even shooting at 5.6 the shots don't look good.
12-11-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Just another voice to echo those above. The K-5 stomps the K20 at AF in any light. In general, the K-5 is better. In particular, you must have something wrong with your setup to get opposite results. I don't know where the problem lies, but your results are not typical.
12-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well the K5 shines so much that I have taken the opportunity of the 100 euros rebates to buy a second K5 body; gives it another try it worth it
Regards
12-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I figured my results were atypical, but I can't be happy with this copy. I thought about exchanging it for another copy. I really wanted to like this camera. AF was the biggest improvement I was looking for, second was the marvelous IQ I've seen from the seasoned members here. This experience has made me appreciate the K20D. On which, the only focus I've changed is for my Tammy 90. I think I have the patience to wait for the next body.

12-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Yeah I figured my results were atypical, but I can't be happy with this copy. I thought about exchanging it for another copy. I really wanted to like this camera. AF was the biggest improvement I was looking for, second was the marvelous IQ I've seen from the seasoned members here. This experience has made me appreciate the K20D. On which, the only focus I've changed is for my Tammy 90. I think I have the patience to wait for the next body.
Are you perhaps pixel peeping at 100%? I've noticed that I need a lot more stability to see sharpness at 100% than I do with my K100DS. More pixels means that it's far easier to see shooting mistakes than with lower resolution cameras.

It's a quantum leap ahead of the K20D.
12-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear that the k-5 didn't work out for you as you expected. In my case, I am really surprised at how good the k-5 is compare to my k-7 (which I was quite happy with already). All my limited lenses plus the DA* lens appear sharper and easier to get focus with the k-5.
12-11-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Are you perhaps pixel peeping at 100%? I've noticed that I need a lot more stability to see sharpness at 100% than I do with my K100DS. More pixels means that it's far easier to see shooting mistakes than with lower resolution cameras.

It's a quantum leap ahead of the K20D.

I was always a fan of my K100D. I've had a K100D, K-r, K20D, a K-7 and now the K-5 which has oddly been the worst of the bunch for auto-focus (the colors do look great). Shooting at 5.6 should give me enough leeway even if my AF calibration is off. Maybe some of it is motion blur as I was able to calibrate OK on the tripod, not perfectly. I will check some of the shots again. The K-5 is supposed to have the best anti-shake though. One thing i noticed is the anti-shake mechanism makes a ton of noise on this K-5. I figured it was normal, but my other cameras don't make as much noise when I move the camera. I am not an expert photographer by any stretch, but I updated the firmware, followed this site's articles on config and tried focus calibration to a greater extent than I ever have for any of my cameras. I think I am going to return the camera and get a 77mm LTD instead.

Last edited by kenafein; 12-11-2011 at 09:21 PM.
12-11-2011, 10:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Potentially great camera but poor QC. Who's to blame?
12-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
One thing i noticed is the anti-shake mechanism makes a ton of noise on this K-5

Hi
Really ? In my K-5's the anti-shake is inaudible. Could this perhaps be the cause of he problem ? Perhaps it got bashed during transport and is now out of wack.

Greetings
12-11-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Send that K-5 in for servicing and add you lenses!
I had some AF adjustments to do with mine but wasn't that satisfied with what I did, so the camera and all the lenses were send in for AF adjustment, and it came back working perfectly!

As a fellow photographer once said: "NEVER TAKE YOUR CAMERA FOR GRANTED! NEVER ASSUME THAT YOUR CAMERA IS WORKING PROPERLY! CHECK IT OUT BEFORE AND DURING EVERY JOB!"
12-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Just wondering.....are you a "seasoned" shooter or are you a seasoned K20D shooter? The reason I ask is that almost every new Pentax I have owned seemed like a step backwards the first week or so with it. I don't even think the K5 is "similar" to my K20d, but the first few times with it, I felt that maybe I had made a mistake.......after a little more experience, and reading that dreaded manual, I found the K5 to be absolutely incredible....and still do.
There is also that chance you have a bad copy, but I would do a more careful and side by side evaluation with the K20D before I bailed out on the K5. Whatever the problem may be, I would be very surprised to find a K5 owner that would go back to his K20D, even as fine as the K20D is.
Regards!