Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is K-5 Next?

With K-r being discontinued... is there any indication K-5 is next for the hatchet?

12-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not yet, there haven't been any signs of discontinuation.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

They aren't going to discontinue their flagship model until another one is available to buy, and considering they haven't even announced one yet, I think the K-5 will be around at another year or so.
12-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
With K-r being discontinued... is there any indication K-5 is next for the hatchet?
Yes, it is next, whenever that is.

12-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ScreamingIdiot Quote
Yes, Pentax is doomed, better get a Canikon.
12-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As above, it will be discontinued - at some stage, but you can bet it'll take a while.
There'll be something in its stead to buy before it's discontinued - it's unlike the K-x or K-r in that there aren't the huge mass produced stockpiles of the units as entry-level sellers are, so you can also bet the K-r will linger in stores way beyond the discontinuation date. The K-5 won't last anywhere near as long following discontinuation. So my thinking is that a replacement APS-C model will come on board, as well as the FF and mirrorless cameras - giving a fuller complement to the Pentax lineup before K-5 goes out the door.
12-11-2011, 07:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

What I find fascinating is that the K-r has been discontinued just as Pentax arranged a deal with WalMart for various colors of the camera online. Odd. Very odd.

12-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just a reminder guys, Pentax hasn't announced discontinuation of the K-r yet. The story seems to be that someone at B&H is saying that Pentax told them it was being discontinued, and B&H decided to blurt it out on their site at their first opportunity. Pentax seems to be mum on the issue, their websites do not show it as discontinued at all. It seems more like B&H is just trying to push the K-r out the door ahead of time, for whatever reason. Maybe they thought it would give them some kind of edge over competition to be the first to announce it, or maybe they already had low stock of it so it doesn't really impact them. Who knows?
12-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No
Pentax Japan have announced that K-R is bye bye
12-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What I find fascinating is that the K-r has been discontinued just as Pentax arranged a deal with WalMart for various colors of the camera online. Odd. Very odd.
Not at all. Pentax have inventory to move (prior to launch of replacement) and Walmart is willing to sell them. Rather standard retail business. Begin to worry if they appear at the £ Stretcher or the Dollar Store, depending upon your continent.
12-12-2011, 12:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
No
Pentax Japan have announced that K-R is bye bye
Where can I read about this?
12-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Pentax Japan has merely stopped taking orders for the colored Pentax Kr.
This is no indication that the standard Kr has been discontinued.
However I recognize there will be people stupid enough to propagate such rumors as well as people gullible enough to believe them.
12-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Pentax Japan has merely stopped taking orders for the colored Pentax Kr.
This is no indication that the standard Kr has been discontinued.
However I recognize there will be people stupid enough to propagate such rumors as well as people gullible enough to believe them.
Just might be time to reconsider the above ....

A trip to Walmart might be considered one of Gullible's travels ? Or perhaps to B&H for the Lilliputian Pentax Q?
12-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Yes, Pentax is doomed, better get a Canikon.
Probably not, but bad things do happen to good DSLR product lines. Just ask an Oly Four Thirds user.

Jeff
12-12-2011, 10:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote
Probably not, but bad things do happen to good DSLR product lines. Just ask an Oly Four Thirds user.
After Panasonic buys the stinking rotten corpse of Olympus, all will be well in m4/3 land. Or not. It don't worry me. Just beware of creative accounting.