Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

Flash

Im having trouble getting depth of field with flash. Do you all shoot indoor on P, Av, Tv, or what? What iso ? I don't seem to be able to close the aperture in p mode, or if I do, I may close it so much the picture is under exposed. I don't know if this makes any sense...but I wasn't this confused with a manual camera and film...set the shutter speed, dial up the aperture on the back of the flash...poof great picture exposure.

12-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which flash are you using?
12-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On camera:
Use Av (or M), adjust aperture on camera to get desired DOF
Fixed ISO, adjusted ISO so 'reach' is sufficient. If underexposed, increase ISO.

On flash:
That depends on the flash so an answer on demp10's question would be useful And if you're using pTTL, auto or manual on the flash
12-13-2011, 03:38 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're used to manual exposure and flash settings, you can do the very same thing with your camera and P-TTL flash (assuming that's what you have).
Just flip to M mode on your camera, and M mode on your flash - setting your intensity as calculated right for your exposure settings, and you've got consistent results every time.

12-13-2011, 04:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have no idea why an SLR would have P mode. If someone wants a point&shoot, tay should get one.
You know how to use manual, choose a setting where you have sue control. Pretend P mode doesn't exist.
If you're used to Manual, no reason to not stick with it.

I normally use Av mode, unless shutter speed is critical.
I use the lowest ISO is required to get the shot, I don't really worry about ISO so much any more. If you're using flash, you're not likely to use ISO 128,000. Although last night I used ISO 5000 with the flash to get better ambient and catch action without blur form the higher ambient light.

[edit] FYI, I rarely use P-TTL on the flash unless I need high speed sync. PTTL is just too flaky to be reliable in an uncontrolled environment.
12-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. I have a 360 as well as trying to use the built in.
12-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I have no idea why an SLR would have P mode. If someone wants a point&shoot, tay should get one.
That's a little over the top, don't you think? Program mode is fantastic, and here's why:

Hyper-Program

The unique Pentax 'Hyper-Program' really is as useful as the name suggests. It is clearly a normal program exposure mode but turning the front or rear dial quickly switches the camera into shutter priority (front dial) or aperture priority (rear dial) modes. To return back to full Program mode just press the green button beside the shutter release. This shockingly simple but effective method of going between the three exposure modes is genius. Note that you can change the program-line from a 'standard' one to hi-speed (favors higher shutter speeds), depth-of-field (favors smaller apertures) or MTF (selects the optimum aperture for the lens used).

12-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
On camera:
Use Av (or M), adjust aperture on camera to get desired DOF
Fixed ISO, adjusted ISO so 'reach' is sufficient. If underexposed, increase ISO.
That's exactly what I do.
12-13-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I think the hyper program mode is great for the reasons Audiobomber mentioned. But I can't seem to get the aperture to increase F stop when I'm using the internal flash.. And if I increase shutter time, it is irreversible.
12-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

P mode is indeed funny with internal flash; I haven't tested it with external flash and I usually don't use P mode.

You can increase the shutter speed but you can not go the other way. Totally confused with this as well. But turning the aperture dial 'resets' the shutter speed to the original value (which depends on the selected focal length). I can select any aperture (forward and backward) on my DFA100WR but adjusting shutter speed after that resets aperture to widest aperture.

Never knew all of this till I started testing it now. There might be a sensible explanation for this (at this moment however I can not think of one) or a setting that influences this behaviour or it's simply a bug.

No biggie for me; I normally use Av or M. P mode has its place, but 'obviously' not so much with internal flash.
12-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
P mode is indeed funny with internal flash; I haven't tested it with external flash and I usually don't use P mode.
I tested my K20D with internal and external flash. I was able to change aperture at will, but trying to change the shutter speed gave whacky results.

As others have said, use Av mode. If you want to keep the shutter speed up, try X-mode, it locks the shutter at 1/180s.