Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Grid Line Display?

Does the K5 have the capacity to show those intersecting grid lines (so common in digital cameras) in the viewfinder? I use those to straighten my images as I shoot and prefer that over using the built-in leveling meters. They are a tad slow to respond and I prefer the eyeball method. I can't find anything on this in the manual.

12-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have to go into the menus and go to Live View under the #4 page. Then you check "Show Grid" and pick one of 3 choices.
12-14-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, but only in live view mode. There are a couple options in the menu as I remember.

If you want a grid in the viewfinder, then you can change the focusing screen to one with a grid. Pentax ML-60 is the model.
12-14-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was hoping it was available in the camera. I do find the girds annoying in that I avoid following rules as much as possible (gird placement) but do find the lines helpful in leveling. I haven't done the proper testing yet, but have had some real problems with a few lenses, my kit 18-55mm and the 35mm 2.4 I just got yesterday, of aligning straight lines. I'm wondering if it might be something in the lens. I have yet to mount the cameras on a tripod and carefully align them and examine the images, but as I said, I haven't done that yet. My other lenses seem fine (18-135, 50-200.)

12-14-2011, 05:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Yes, but only in live view mode. There are a couple options in the menu as I remember.

If you want a grid in the viewfinder, then you can change the focusing screen to one with a grid. Pentax ML-60 is the model.
Was there ever a menu-driven option for grids in the viewfinder? The only one I recall for the K-x, K-r or now the K5 is the one I mentioned.
12-14-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

You have to buy a focusing screen to get the grid
12-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks.
12-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Was there ever a menu-driven option for grids in the viewfinder? The only one I recall for the K-x, K-r or now the K5 is the one I mentioned.
Nope only in superzoom p/s possibly. not something that could happen in an optical VF

12-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Nope only in superzoom p/s possibly. not something that could happen in an optical VF
Thanks, I didn't think so but one of the answers here had me asking myself if I had missed something (quite likely).
12-14-2011, 02:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote
have had some real problems with a few lenses ...of aligning straight lines
I have the same problem. A suggestion: you can use the electronic level indicators in the viewfinder, in conjunction with the AF frame lines in the viewfinder, to square up your subject. The electronic level display appears instead of the EV bar at the bottom of the display, and in the top LCD, when that feature is on.

I have the level indicators assigned to the RawFX button, and find it very handy.
12-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TooLoose Quote
but have had some real problems with a few lenses, my kit 18-55mm and the 35mm 2.4 I just got yesterday, of aligning straight lines.
Not sure if this is the same as your problem but I received my k-5 last week and found the grid lines in the viewfinder to not be in alignment with the sensor. Lining the grid up perfectly with a straight edge would result in a crooked picture. Very disconcerting as it looked just fine in the viewfinder. I tried the electronic level next and found it to be significantly off as well, maybe 4 - 5 degrees to the left. 5 full 'dots' on the indicator off level.

Sent it back as defective and a replacement is in the post.
12-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #12

Photos: Gallery
If you want the grid lines in the viewfinder your options are:
- get a different focusing screen with engraved grid lines.
- consider Nikon or Sony (on all Sony SLTs you can enable the grid lines, since it's an electronic viewfinder there). While Nikon projects the grid lines on the focusing screen on some models.

I wish I could enable the rule of 3rds grid lines on my K5