Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #1

Just picked up my second K-5 after breaking my first

During the Thanksgiving break I was taking pics using my tripod. As I was taking the cam off the tripod and it slipped out of my hands and hit the ground, when it did, it snapped the lens ring off of the body. After the initial urge to throw-up passed I remembered my renter's insurance. That Monday I put in a claim, and three weeks later I got my check to replace the camera!

The moral to this story; get renter's or homeowner's insurance!

12-15-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Doesn't renters insurance cover only loss of property due to theft, fires, etc?
12-15-2011, 11:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
Accidents too!
12-15-2011, 11:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Insurance is good. My first high-end P&S coast about as much in adjusted dollars as a K5 body does now. I had it on a lightweight tirpod on a windy night whilst camping far from anywhere; down it went, smashed to smithereens, and no insurance to cover it. (Camper's insurance? Not that I've heard of!) Yes, if you're going to break a camera, do so at home.

12-15-2011, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by an3ony Quote
During the Thanksgiving break I was taking pics using my tripod. As I was taking the cam off the tripod and it slipped out of my hands and hit the ground, when it did, it snapped the lens ring off of the body. After the initial urge to throw-up passed I remembered my renter's insurance. That Monday I put in a claim, and three weeks later I got my check to replace the camera!

The moral to this story; get renter's or homeowner's insurance!
Helpful tip: Don't break this one.
12-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #6

You can insurce yourself and your stuff against everything, everywhere :S

I am just reading trough some paper work for my camera insurce against:

Fire,Accident (i smash it), Accident (someone smashes it), theft, beeing forgotten in a sub/tube/bus/anywhere,

But atm i am not sure which company to choose.
12-15-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Forum Member

I had my wife check on camera insurance for me, she works for State Farm. The said I can pull out a personal articles policy on my camera equipment for $1.60 per $100.00 dollars of coverage per year. So for $3,000 worth of coverage it would cost me $48.00 per year. It covers everything from me dropping it to theft. It would then be a zero or 100$ deductible (I don't recall).
12-15-2011, 02:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That's not what I'd consider as picking up a second K-5, you've merely replaced the first one. If you were so in love with your K-5 that you had to have two of them, that's what I'd call picking up a second one! I hope you have a better luck with your replacement K-5 and hope your insurance premium don't skyrocket.

12-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
That's not what I'd consider as picking up a second K-5, you've merely replaced the first one. If you were so in love with your K-5 that you had to have two of them, that's what I'd call picking up a second one! I hope you have a better luck with your replacement K-5 and hope your insurance premium don't skyrocket.
I'm going to buy another two and use them as bookends! My plan is to send the busted one off to Pentax and have it repaired if its possible.
12-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear there was a happy ending. I dropped my K-2000 from my hand directly onto a very hard dirt road in Jamaica. Felt like slow motion seeing it hit the ground. Picked it up, dusted it off and had no problems with it whatsoever. Just ordered a K-5. Hope I won't "test" that one like I did my K-2000.
12-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm glad your story has a happy ending too. Exactly the same thing happened to me. My K20D with 50-135 attached fell off the tripod and crashed from four feet into the pavement. Neither was scratched, and both are humming two years later!

I was just lucky. You were smart!