Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 05:21 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all very much. Italy was just wonderful! Great food! I had a blast shooting something other than Florida wildlife. The K5 did a great job. Totally changed the way I shoot. All of the indoor shots were hand held. The carrousel was also hand held. The only time I used the tripod was for the Outdoor night shots. As for the moon in the archway, I used a tripod for that shot, and the moon was just in the right position.

12-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by an3ony Quote
the coliseum, just awesome
Thanks. It was difficult shooting it with all the people that were around.
12-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #18
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I shot the entire trip using my 18-135 zoom.
And it kind of shows - the purple fringing in the San Pietro roof shot, for example, was visible even in the smaller image shown in this thread. Overall, the IQ reminds me of what I got from the 18-55 kit lens in similar conditions - usable, but not great. Most of these seem shot in the focal range of the kit lens too, which makes me wonder whether you wouldn't have been better served by a Tamron 17-50/2.8 - it costs about the same as the 18-135 anyway.

The interior shot of Notre-Dame prompts a question: did you have a filter on the lens by any chance? I can't believe the lens alone would produce those purple halos around the lights.

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
The DA 18-135 is a much better lens than you would imagine based on it's reviews and reputation.
It seems to perform worse than I imagined though. I don't remember getting PF from the kit lens in any shots.
12-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
And it kind of shows - the purple fringing in the San Pietro roof shot, for example, was visible even in the smaller image shown in this thread. Overall, the IQ reminds me of what I got from the 18-55 kit lens in similar conditions - usable, but not great. Most of these seem shot in the focal range of the kit lens too, which makes me wonder whether you wouldn't have been better served by a Tamron 17-50/2.8 - it costs about the same as the 18-135 anyway.

The interior shot of Notre-Dame prompts a question: did you have a filter on the lens by any chance? I can't believe the lens alone would produce those purple halos around the lights.

It seems to perform worse than I imagined though. I don't remember getting PF from the kit lens in any shots.
To answer your second question first, yes I did have a UV filter on the end of the lens which created the ghosting effect. As far as the purple fringing in the dome of St. Peter's is concerned, I feel it is totally acceptable in this grade lens. Truth be told I can, and will remove it in Aperture once I go through all the photos. Again I'm sure the UV filter contributed to this. Most of these were shot within the focal length of the kit lens, but many of the other 2000 were not. I feel I can easily fix these images up, and given the connivence of not having to switch out lenses in misty damp weather more than out weights the problems. The weather was very bad most of the trip. Out of 2 weeks we had a day and a half of sun. I did learn my lesson of using a cheap UV filter though.

12-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I'd guess that it was related to the UV filter. I haven' noticed any PF with my copy and I never use a filter. OTOH, my DA12-24 is a PF nightmare, although much of it can be cleaned up in PP.
12-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #21
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony3d Quote
I did learn my lesson of using a cheap UV filter though.
If filters are going to impact images they'll do it especially at night. FWIW, I always used my kit lens with a decent multicoated filter (a <$20 Quantaray) and I didn't hit issues like this.
12-27-2011, 06:13 PM   #22

Congrats to Tony, it seems one of his shots is now on Pentax's site!
Go here: http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX-DA_18-135mm_F3.5-5.6_ED_AL_[IF]_DC_WR
Look at the bottom from the photo gallery, click next if need be, looks like his shot comes up as the first pic every time, though.

12-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rtpguy Quote
Congrats to Tony, it seems one of his shots is now on Pentax's site!
Go here: http://www.pentaximaging.com/camera-lenses/smc_PENTAX-DA_18-135mm_F3.5-5.6_ED_AL_[IF]_DC_WR
Look at the bottom from the photo gallery, click next if need be, looks like his shot comes up as the first pic every time, though.
Congrats, Tony.

Looks like one of mine is coming up under the FA77 Limited.
12-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
Congrats, Tony.

Looks like one of mine is coming up under the FA77 Limited.
Gratz! Never knew they did that. I just thought it was in the gallery. Cool.