Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2011, 12:55 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mujibyepi Quote
I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses to my inquiry, and especially appreciate the thoughts from newmikey and vonBaloney cautioning against jumping into a new camera when I already have a pretty decent model (the Canon T3i). One complication that I did not originally mention (in the interest of keeping my original post simpler) was that my camera prior to the Canon was a Pentax K10D -- and I have three Pentax lenses (Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens; Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lens; and the kit lens that came with the K10D). When I moved from the K10D to the Canon, I wanted a new camera with video, and at the time I was looking (early spring), the prices I was seeing for the Pentax K5 were over $1400, which I couldn't wrap my brain around.
Why didn't you say so? Sell the Canon -- it sucks! You can sell the K10D if you still have it to also help with the financing for a K-5 -- you can probably still get $200 or so for it in good shape.

12-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your past experience with Pentax makes the decision a bit more complicated... On the one hand, you have some good pentax lenses that will go a long way into completing your kit. Do you find you like the pic quality of the Canon (color, sharpness, high iso, etc)? And how do you like the build quality (single control wheel, pentaprism vs pentamirror)? Of course the t3i has an articulating screen, so that's a feature you need to know if you can live without...

Really, it sounds like it's going to come down to the feature sets you feel like you have to have. Now you mentioned that you bought the Canon for video; now I'm not familiar with the features on the T3i, but a friend has a 7d and it has quite a few video capabilities that the K5 does not have. And that could matter a lot to you... Of course there are the issues of weather sealing, in body stabilization, and increased customization that the k5 has that the T3i does not.

But regardless, it would be interesting to hear what your impressions of the t3i vs the k10 in terms of build, pic quality, and ergonomics. Although I am not going to switch, it's still nice to know (and a friend of mine is thinking of buying a dslr and knowing a bit more about Canon's strengths and weaknesses will help her).

Good luck w/ your decision.

Mike
12-19-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mujibyepi Quote
I really appreciate all the thoughtful responses to my inquiry, and especially appreciate the thoughts from newmikey and vonBaloney cautioning against jumping into a new camera when I already have a pretty decent model (the Canon T3i). One complication that I did not originally mention (in the interest of keeping my original post simpler) was that my camera prior to the Canon was a Pentax K10D -- and I have three Pentax lenses (Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens; Pentax DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED Lens; and the kit lens that came with the K10D). When I moved from the K10D to the Canon, I wanted a new camera with video, and at the time I was looking (early spring), the prices I was seeing for the Pentax K5 were over $1400, which I couldn't wrap my brain around.

So my buyer's remorse is fueled in part by having the Pentax lenses, as well as seeing how amazing the K5 seems to be - particularly the high ISO capabilities and the quality build/weather sealing (as vagrant10, a fellow Portlandian, points out - weather sealing is nice in the often soggy Pacific NW).

Thanks for giving me some thoughts to ponder in my decision-making. I'm in flux now, and will take some time to chew on it. I have a feeling that at some point, I'll return to the Pentax camp, especially since I have the lenses already. I might wait and see what comes out next. I know it comes down to a matter of choice and opinion, but I'd appreciate any additional shared thoughts in light of the considerations I've raised here if anyone is still following this post. Also I'm curious about thoughts about what might be coming down the pike; it's hard to imagine wanting more than the K5 offers! Thanks again for all the responses; I'm struck again by how friendly this forum is!

Peace, Christopher
I am not going to tell you to dump your T3i in favour of the k-5, but I am going to share with you some of my experience with others using other brands. One of the strong point for the T3i is likely the video feature which most people will find it to be better than k-5. If that is what you are after, then that is likely a good decision for you. However, there are many things that you will be missing which are the advanced features that comes with the k-5 and not in the T3i. The 2-dial controls, the multiple exposure features, the mirco-adjustments of lenses, the penta-prism, the WR features. These are just a few of those that enhances your photo taking experiences. Plus, the lenses with equal or better quality are far less than the comparable ones from Canon. I find the k-5 to be a great tool to enhance my ability to take great pictures and the limitation is on my skill and creativity not the camera. If you have no desire to go beyond the basic features and functions (such as P&S style and casual shots), then I agree that just about any of existing DSLR lineup (even entry levels) can do the job pretty decently. I recently compared my friend's 7D 16-35/2.8 L combo with my k-5 12-24/4 combo, guess who is jealous of whose gear (there is no SR on that L glass, heavier and costs more). One good thing about technology is that there is always a better one coming out in the future, so perhaps, after a while, you will have to upgrade again (which may be a good sign that you out-grow the system). Meanwhile, enjoy your camera (which ever model you have) to its fullest potential. May be sometime next year, you can also get a used k-5 for half of the current price.
12-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I find the price of pentax camera drop kind fast...which is good thing anyway...
I think the price will only drop or remain after the instant rebate ends...
about lens there are a few option depend on how ur style is..
u can do 18-55 + 55-300, 17-70, 18-135, tarmon 17-50, tarmon 28-75...and they are all under 500 I remember..
if u buy second hand here..u can save more

Yeah..I am into HDSLR videography recently too..I think one revolution feature of DSLR is the video capability...It really open a new world for us..
until seeing what video improvment pentax bring us on next model, I am envy of canon user...even a low end t2i with magic Lantern firmware installed can have so much better video function.

but video function can only get better in the future..so this may not be a problem for future pentax model...

but for now..canon outperform pentax in video segment..
but that not to say we can not make great movie by using k-5..we can still do..There are some great sample out there..

Last edited by liukaitc; 12-19-2011 at 07:10 PM.