Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #1

New K-5

I have been using my K-5 for a few days.

Having had Pentax DSLRs a couple of years ago, I expected the ergonomics to be good, and I have not been disappointed. Shooting functions are easily at hand, and menu access using the front and rear dials is as it should be. Much better overall than my Nikon D90.

Review mode seems pretty good. I like the availability of the EV comp and green buttons to zoom in review mode. I would like at least one full-screen view without the blinking highlights and shadows. The blinking is useful, but not always.

I haven't figured out yet how to set the Program Line. Normal seems to choose a shutter speed slower than I want and sports higher. I guess Tav is the answer, but P (hyper-program) is such a cool mode. I also have not figured out the relationship between the Program Line and the auto ISO parameters.

A new camera always takes some time, but I find that I am adjusting to the K-5 very quickly.

The camera's multi-segmented metering does seem less protective of highlights than that of other cameras I've used. I have been shooting raw, and even so, highlights that I'd expect to be recoverable in LR were not. I'll probably dial in some negative EV comp as my default.

My 18-135 is back focusing too much to correct, and I plan to exchange it for another one, after I redo focus tests to be sure.

Also, my 35 f/2.4 seems accurate, but I have had several OOF shots outdoors in good light. The AF point was on a person's torso and the camera was set to AF.S and focus-priority. I need to experiment more with this.

Note: My internet access will be limited until Monday evening or Tuesday, so I will not be able to respond to posts until then.

Jeff

12-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm having the same kind of growing into the K5 issues (not, thank goodness the 18-135 problem though) that you listed. LOTS to learn on the camera and more than my share of mistakes so far, but its fun learning and experimenting.
12-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jeff Charles Quote

My 18-135 is back focusing too much to correct, and I plan to exchange it for another one, after I redo focus tests to be sure.

Jeff
My 18-135mm does not require any micro adjustment either... sorry to hear about yours; it would be good if you can exchange for another one.
12-19-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
Closed Account

Hi there! I joined "Club K-5" myself two weeks ago, but I haven't experienced any of the focusing issues you've mentioned. In fact, on about 2-3 other K-5s I tested before taking the plunge, I found the AF to be fast and accurate. I'm not trying to brag, but rather agreeing that experimentation is likely the key.

For the record, the feature I didn't know the camera had before I got it that I just love is how you can press INFO and use the rear dial to quickly adjust shake reduction, file format, etc. Other features I love include the mode dial lock (changed mode too many times by accident on my K20D) and how the right thumb reaches all but 2 of the rear buttons in one nice arc without little awkwardness. I could go on and on about a bunch of other great things I've found, but these are my favorites.

All in all a very worthwhile upgrade from the K20D, especially at current prices.

12-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
Other features I love include the mode dial lock (changed mode too many times by accident on my K20D) and how the right thumb reaches all but 2 of the rear buttons in one nice arc without little awkwardness.
Yes.. indeed I found that too many times on my k10, the mode dial get changed when I asked someone to take pictures of me. Pentax has implemented that feature on the k-7; yet earlier in Digitalrevu (youtube), the funny guy claimed that the Canon 60D has a very creative idea (first time) of putting a locking mechanism on the mode dial. It shows how credible those people are...obviously they did not review the k-7 which was released a year earlier.
12-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
... Pentax has implemented that feature on the k-7; yet earlier in Digitalrevu (youtube), the funny guy claimed that the Canon 60D has a very creative idea (first time) of putting a locking mechanism on the mode dial. It shows how credible those people are...obviously they did not review the k-7 which was released a year earlier.
They're also probably too young/ignorant to remember the film age! The locking mode dial is by no means a new feature; in fact, I was wondering why it took so long for it to appear on Pentax DSLRs. My first SLR, a Canon Elan IIE that I bought back in 1996, had one and I'm sure that idea dates back even several years prior.