Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

MF

i just got a new pentax k-5 dslr with a 50-200mm lens... how do i MF? i see where i switch it to MF but then how do i actually do it? i also couldn't figure out how to do it on video mode but i am sure it is the same however it is done. THANKS

12-23-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations and welcome to the forum.
  1. Mount the lens on the body
  2. turn camera on
  3. turn the mode dial on top to the GREEN rectangle (fully automatic mode)
  4. turn the switch from af to mf on the body that is on the left hand side of the body near where the lens mounts.
  5. While looking through the viewfinder, turn the barrel of the lens to focus. Note that there are two sections of the barrel that turn independently. 1) to control the focal length (between 50 to 200), i.e., the amount of zoom; and 2) the focus ring that provides manual focus.
  6. So focus first and then use the zoom to compose the picture you want.

The two sections of the barrel are...
  • Wide section - this controls the amount of zoom - has markings for 50, 80, 100, .... 200.
  • Narrow section - towards the front of the lens. This has numbers from infinity (the 8 laying on its side) with additional numbers in both feet and meters.

Also, this lens should probably have the focus clutch, that allows you to manual focus while in auto focus (enabling you to manual focus without switching to MF). The AL version of the lens does not have this feature. So if you have the AL version and when in autofocus mode, just do not try to manual focus the lens (i.e., if the focus ring has any resistance to it - just don't force it).

With you right hand holding the camera up to your eye (looking through the viewfinder) and your index finger (right hand) on the shutter button, then using your left hand to cradle and support the lens a bit, gently grasp the barrel of the lens (left hand), move your hand out to the front finding the narrow focus ring and gently twist it. This should bring the view in the viewfinder into focus. Then move your left hand back to the wide barrel ring on the lens - the zoom ring and then turn until you have framed/composed your picture as desired. Then with the index finger of the right hand depress the shutter a bit - about half way, and the camera will meter (sense the light), Then continue depressing the shutter until the camera takes the picture. Then take a look at the picture on the rear screen.

Do this a few times and it will become second nature.

Here are some videos for you to watch that would probably explain a lot more of your questions...
pentax k-5 review - YouTube

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-23-2011 at 12:08 PM.
12-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

Original Poster
thank you so much! great news ... well there is a huge piece covering the focus ring... do i take that off somehow or i guess just leave it... i notice there is a little opening that slides off the side of it
12-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
wait i think i see, so you zoom in to do the focus ring first then zoom out or however close you want to take the picture

12-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

To keep things simple: set your camera to MF and then turn the small ring on the lens until the picture is sharp

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by moral decay Quote
thank you so much! great news ... well there is a huge piece covering the focus ring... do i take that off somehow or i guess just leave it... i notice there is a little opening that slides off the side of it
That sounds like the lens hood, which you want to leave on. The little opening is for rotating a polarizer filter you might add on the lens.
12-23-2011, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by moral decay Quote
That huge piece may be the lens hood reversed back on to the lens for storage and carrying when not in use. If it covers the body of the lens, twist it slightly so that it is able to slide off then turn it around, and then slide it back on (giving it a slight twist to lock it into place). The hood is suppose to project OUT from the front of the lens and is used to keep the sun from shining into the lens, possibly causing flare, etc. As SpecialK said, the little opening is so that when the hood is on along with a filter, you can adjust the filter (in particular a polarizing filter that turn around providing varying amounts of polarization to the light entering the lens).

Have you been over saturated yet with your new camera? If so, just go take a lot of pictures with what you currently know - and don't worry about the rest. It will all come with time.

Just enjoy the camera!!!

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-23-2011 at 01:10 PM.
12-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you so much, got it

12-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

In standard picure taking mode (not Movie mode), if using MF I suggest using LV and clicking on the Info button to zoom in 2x, 4x, 6x (AF) or 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x, 10x (MF). This will come in really handy if you get a cheap old MF prime lens with a large aperture (f/1.4-f/2) to improve image quality compared to a standard zoom lens, to get better low-light capability and to get a shallow depth-of-field to isolate a subject from a distracting background.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/168950-super-t...ml#post1751554

Dan

Last edited by dosdan; 12-23-2011 at 06:38 PM.
12-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Zoom first then focus. Consumer zoom lenses invariably should be focused after composing by zooming.