Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I see autofocus as an assistant rather than an overlord. Having lost a lot of shots which I put down to user error, I'm now a lot more careful about it all. I'll double-tap the shutter button to make sure there is a lock and I'll usually check with quick focus too. I've turned shake reduction off and only use it now for slow, considered shots. I've also tried to calibrate my lenses, after noticing that my old smc-A 50mm f1.4 needed at least -5 when using shallow depth of field. Quickfire street-shooting is still a bit of a crapshoot but I'd be mildly surprised if any camera was all that good at this except for the large and very expensive ones which aren't the best for unobtrusive candids anyway. I often now preset the focus on manual and judge when a subject is within range.

Things are better now. Like all the promises of automatic everything in life, autofocus brings its own set of problems and is a little oversold, imho. For really critical shallow DOF stuff or in mixed lighting - museums, typically - I now usually use manual focus anyway.

02-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #182
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
One thing to check is your firmware. The upgrade to 1.03 addressed the issue of focusing in low light

Changes to V1.03

• Improved the accuracy of auto focus in low-intensity light condition.
  • Improved stability for general performance.