Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by garyk Quote
Ridiculousness post by a woman.. Wow.
And then there is that Canon attitude coming blasting through. Reminds me of couple guys at work, they "know shiiit, cause their gear"..

12-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
Classy.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
And then there is that Canon attitude coming blasting through. Reminds me of couple guys at work, they "know shiiit, cause their gear"..
In fairness to Canon and their users, not everyone who shots Canon is a giant d-bag.
12-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
not everyone who shots Canon is a giant d-bag
A true statement, for sure. The ones I know, have little "attitudes".
12-26-2011, 06:37 PM   #49
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It is the truth. I really dislike posts and people sugar coating Pentax problems. It is a joke in low light. You cannot use good fast glass with it with consistent results. After two years with Pentax and changing to Canon. It is a joke in low light.
Just a shame people come here for informed decision making. It ruins photography for many who buy and think this is a good product. It ain't.
As far as my comment on the OP.. It stands.

12-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn.That is rough.
Lets see some Canon shots!

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-26-2011 at 07:15 PM.
12-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #51
Veteran Member

It is the truth. I really dislike posts and people sugar coating Pentax problems. It is a joke in low light. You cannot use good fast glass with it with consistent results. After two years with Pentax and changing to Canon. It is a joke in low light.
Just a shame people come here for informed decision making. It ruins photography for many who buy and think this is a good product. It ain't.
Well speaking for myself, I had the AF of my K-5 recalibrated by Pentax Japan recently and the results indoors or outdoors in available light have been stellar. I haven't had any issues using my DA* 55mm f/1.4 SDM, FA 77mm f/1.8 and Sigma 30mm f/1.4 which in most people's books are fast lenses, so I don't consider your description "a joke in low light" to hold up at all. If there is a joke somewhere, it must be why you're still hanging around a forum on Pentax cameras when you've presumably switched to Canon. Why be bitter and making it you're life's work to diss Pentax... just move on. I'm sure people will understand you better on a forum discussing Canon gear.

Last edited by creampuff; 12-27-2011 at 05:07 PM.
12-27-2011, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

I take all the anecdotal reports I hear here about one brand's AF being better than another wth a huge grain of salt.

A simple Google search, for example, reveals many reports that say the Canon 7D has a horribly bad AF system, with lots of bad reports about OOF shots and even an online petition requesting Canon issue a urgent service fix and recalibrate their AF system:

canon 7d af problems - Google Search

I could easily find the same stuff for Nikon.

And the Sony NEX 5N has a big issue in the forums at the moment too about it's simple inability to focus accurately in low light when the subject is as challenging and static as Xmas trees illuminated by a few simple LED lights....

12-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I take all the anecdotal reports I hear here about one brand's AF being better than another wth a huge grain of salt.

A simple Google search, for example, reveals many reports that say the Canon 7D has a horribly bad AF system, with lots of bad reports about OOF shots and even an online petition requesting Canon issue a urgent service fix and recalibrate their AF system:

canon 7d af problems - Google Search

I could easily find the same stuff for Nikon.

And the Sony NEX 5N has a big issue in the forums at the moment too about it's simple inability to focus accurately in low light when the subject is as challenging and static as Xmas trees illuminated by a few simple LED lights....
+1

Do searches on Nikon D7000, Fuji x100, x10:

QuoteQuote:

I was so excited to finally get my X10 but bitterly disappointed when about
30 out of several hundred photos were WAY out of focus
Reply from my query to Fujifilm NZ =

"They are currently investigating the issue as it has been raised by several
users globally, and identified by a number of media reviewers.

As you may be able to appreciate resolving a software bug is not an simple
thing and requires significant post update testing to ensure the fix works, and
doesn’t affect other features."

As I didn't pay a lot of money to be a Fujifilm beta tester I'm
currently in the process of trying to return the camera for a full refund
12-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep...ugly:
NikonCafe.com

The Canon 5D and 5DmkII also have huge low-light AF issues unless you use the center AF point...most Canon fanboys will even acknowledge this.
All I'll say is "if it doesn't work for you, switch to a different system". Life's too short to just keep the same thing and be frustrated with it...
12-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
All I'll say is "if it doesn't work for you, switch to a different system". Life's too short to just keep the same thing and be frustrated with it...
Life will, at least, seem much longer if you jump from system to system, being frustrated by some built in flaw in each one.
12-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for this information!!!

I took a lot of photos over Xmas and was wondering why the ones of the Christmas tree at QVB were not focused - yes the camera seems to get confused by blinking lights.

Another focusing "flaw" I discovered on the NEX-5N is that it does not focus very well on mirrored objects (yes, I am vain enough to take photos of myself in a mirror).

And having used the Canon 1D Mk III and 1D Mk IV, and some experience fondling and cuddling a 1Ds Mk III, I agree that Canon isn't perfect either. Yes, it's better than the K-5, but I have had my share of OOF shots.

I am going to try and take my K-5 with the DA* 50-135 to the zoo today with AF fine adjustment disabled and see if I get better shots than a few weeks ago.
12-27-2011, 07:14 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christine Tham Quote
Thanks for this information!!!
I was only making a semi-serious point about the NEX5N issue, just to highlight some anecdotal evidence currently online about user's reporting issues with it over Xmas.

In a little while I expect that the 'NEX5N low-light AF problem' will probably enter into conventional online wisdom about the NEX 5N, users will demand a firmware fix, threaten to change to another brand etc. All on the basis of probably just a handful of user reports. It must be tough to be a camera maker nowadays.
12-27-2011, 10:29 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was only making a semi-serious point about the NEX5N issue, just to highlight some anecdotal evidence currently online about user's reporting issues with it over Xmas.

In a little while I expect that the 'NEX5N low-light AF problem' will probably enter into conventional online wisdom about the NEX 5N, users will demand a firmware fix, threaten to change to another brand etc. All on the basis of probably just a handful of user reports. It must be tough to be a camera maker nowadays.
There's already 83 posts in this thread about the issue:
UPDATE: AF misfocuses under lowlight [Page 1]: Sony NEX Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I don't understand why DMF won't work though, because that's a manual override, so if it still misfocuses then it has to be user error.
12-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: The K-5 is definitely not focusing correctly with the DA* 50-135mm with AF fine adjustment disabled. I used TAv mode with f=2.8 and t=1/350 sec to eliminate any possibility of motion blur or hand shake. And I shot relatively static subjects, combination of centre AF, selected point AF and multi AF. And I picked relatively good focus targets.

The focusing is not 100% accurate, with a tendency towards back focus, but I also get instances of front focus. What's really annoying is that in a batch of photos taken in continuous mode, the focus seems to change from shot to shot even when the subject is not moving. And occasionally the focus will be correct.

Given that I am using an SDM lens, I'm hopefully eliminating the possibility of AF motor malfunction or wear and tear. It's possible that the DA*50-135mm is not calibrated well with respect to the K-5 with AF fine adjustment turned off, but I have lots of perfectly focused photos from when the camera and the lens were new so it seems the focus accuracy or calibration has deteriorated.
12-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
You're welcome. Just for your info, Pentax Japan replaced a new sensor and they made adjustment to the AF module. Even on my non-SDM/HSM lenses, the focus accuracy for my adjusted K-5 has been spot on, as can be seen by this shot taken with the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 wide open under fluorescent lighting.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/6559641397_c57873849e_o.jpg
Any image - I didn't even bother to look - will only proof that the camera-lens combo works fine in combination. What does this tell about camera or lens indidiually... nothing.