Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGold Quote
Just got the Pentax 16-45 f4. Took more then 100 test shoots with no issue at all! Good lens. I'm going o return the Tamron 17-50. I guess Pentax is working better with Pentax...
Good move..... Im sick of mine too. I will swap it for the 17-70 or even 70mm or poss the 40mm
I took mine for a test run yesterday. Some amazing pics but still a few missed through not focussed correctly.

01-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #122
Veteran Member

01-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #123
Veteran Member

I took these two yesterday with K5 and Tamron 17-50
01-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #124

Yes, when it focuses correctly it's great. But I can't count on it.

01-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGold Quote
Yes, when it focuses correctly it's great. But I can't count on it.
Its the same here. I realy wanted use it for weddings, but at the moment I simply wouldnt dare. I shall be hanging on to my Nikon gear
until its gained complete trust. It has a long way to go lol. My problem are identical to Christines it seems.
I shot two pics of a model yesterday, at identical settings from the same position. First pic... pin sharp, spot on. The second pic....
All i did was turn the camera vertical.... Front focussed enough to blurr my model ?
Is it the camera or is it the lens ? Whichever its pretty shite !
01-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Just wanted to see if Pentax service had been able to resolve the issue. Probably don't have it back yet.
01-25-2012, 09:40 PM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
All i did was turn the camera vertical.... Front focussed enough to blurr my model ?
Was it definitely FF or could it be camera shake blur as well?
When moving/rotating the camera, you need to give the SR system a bit of time to recalibrate.
Pretty sure it wasn't that but worth excluding as a potential source.

01-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Was it definitely FF or could it be camera shake blur as well?
When moving/rotating the camera, you need to give the SR system a bit of time to recalibrate.
Pretty sure it wasn't that but worth excluding as a potential source.
Class A is right about any movement of the camera causing the SR hand in the viewfinder to disappear before it reappears. If folks are relying on SR, it does not appear to be any more reliable than that article reported on Nikon's VR. It takes them awhile to re-stabilize. Just put your eye to the VF, while watching the SR hand and move the camera to the left or right - gone!!!
01-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #129
Veteran Member

I doubt it was that since the shutter speed would have been rather high ?
Yup ! just checked... F2.8 at 1000 of a sec at 200 ISO.
Unfortunately, I deleted the bad pics, but Im pretty sure it was front focus as objects
nearer the lens looked a tad sharper. Neither was it a case of it being not biting sharp,
it was well out and totaly unusable. I only ever use the centre module when doing pics
of people and focus on the eyes. Can the SR ruin pics even when high shutter speeds are used ? That could Poss be worth further investigation if that was the case !
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #130
Veteran Member

Can the SR ruin pics even when high shutter speeds are used ? That could Poss be worth further investigation if that was the case !
Yes, i've always thought that SR can ruin pictures when starting up. I shoot a lot of pictures at play rehearsals for the last 3 years. My acceptance rate went way up once i turned off SR and relied on shutter speed (that first happened with the K20) Hey, its a mechanical system, and any mechanical system has a period of transistion.

That could explain the randomness that you and others have reported.
01-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Yes, i've always thought that SR can ruin pictures when starting up. I shoot a lot of pictures at play rehearsals for the last 3 years. My acceptance rate went way up once i turned off SR and relied on shutter speed (that first happened with the K20) Hey, its a mechanical system, and any mechanical system has a period of transistion.

Hopefully we will see Pentax improve the function of the SR in the next model. It helps, but it can also be frustrating waiting for it to get ready. It is slower than the AF.
01-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Intresting ...... but...... it wasnt on start up, since it was the second picture on this ocasion for sure
01-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #133
Veteran Member

I've never had a Pentax DSLR that's been focusing correctly. I've had k10, k20, k-7 and now k-5.

My k-7 is the best, still inconsequent, feels a bit random + - focus, even tho it's been adjusted on warranty. My pentax DSLRs gets beaten on the balls by anything. EOS 350D and Nikon D5000 that I've tested got far better accurracy. EOS 350d is very nice, too bad Pentax lags behind a 100 year old low end camera.

Sorry for my rage.

My k-5 focuses randomly. Works pretty good in very short distances, thats good, right?
01-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #134
Veteran Member

Intresting ...... but...... it wasnt on start up, since it was the second picture on this ocasion for sure
If you look at the SR hand thru your VF, then move the camera axis to left or right, you'll find that the hand icon goes out and comes back with slight movement of the camera.

Give your K5 a trial period with the SR off, and faster shutters like 1/1.5FL, and i think you'll be very happy with it. I am.
01-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #135
Veteran Member

If you look at the SR hand thru your VF, then move the camera axis to left or right, you'll find that the hand icon goes out and comes back with slight movement of the camera.
Hmm... I don't get that with my K-5. If I focus on something in the room, and then move the camera by panning or even rotating, the hand symbol in the VF stays on. Even if I shake the camera quite a lot, it stays on as long as I keep the shutter button half pressed. It does take a small amount of time to stabilize before it lights after pressing the shutter button halfway, I'd guess from a few hundred milliseconds up to a second depending on available light. But once it comes on it stays on until I release the shutter button or take a shot.

Edit: I have the latest 1.12 firmware.