Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Did anyone say, send your camera for repair and ask the service center to explain what was wrong.

Before that you may want to check whether the focus screen is fixed in place - use the camera manual with focus screen replacement instructions. I really assume it is the screen ...

12-29-2011, 06:02 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you can live with the position, the question is whether that is anywhere near the actual focus point?
The red dot is simply an indicator of the focus area used. The Green Hexagon is the indicator that focus has been achieved.
Is the camera getting focus in the center of view? Or at the red light?

My K10 had a centered red light, but all focus points were actually down about 15-20% lower in the viewfinder than the focus screen or the where the red indicator lights would show it to be.

It was very frustrating until I figured out where the focus was truly being done.... finally got repairs and had to re-train myself where to focus. :-)

Just making a point that the focus point may not necessarily be in line with the light or the focus screen lines.
It is best to be aware of what your camera is doing, and not use those items only as guidelines.
12-29-2011, 03:06 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just got my K-5 today, and my central AF point is displaced by about the same amount, but to the other side (to the right).

Sucks, doesn't it!
01-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Convert Quote
I just got my K-5 today, and my central AF point is displaced by about the same amount, but to the other side (to the right).

Sucks, doesn't it!
OK, in case it is not the screen and this behavior pops it more than once... I would assume blind people run Pentax quality control. Being off a square to the right or a square to the left sounds like time warp from the RHPS.

amoringello: an illuminated red square MUST be more than a simple guideline. We can cope with problems, but simple misalignment is a design flaw or a qaulity control issue.

01-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As I said b4, Pentax QC suck, and it suck even b4 the digital era, but now is all time low. Will see what Ricoh can do in 2012.
01-05-2012, 12:48 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
As I said b4, Pentax QC suck, and it suck even b4 the digital era, but now is all time low. Will see what Ricoh can do in 2012.
The really, truly, totally, amazingly, astonishingly ridiculous thing about Pentax QC is that they should be so loose with something so obvious and disconcerting, yet so meaningless and misunderstood as the projected focus point indicator.
01-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I take issue with Pentax QC being bad before the digital era. I used to bring all my MX and LX cameras in to the Vancouver, BC Pentax shop run by Kaz in the 1970s and 1980s. They were handled perfectly and were always in top form when I got them back from service. As for lenses, I never had any focus isuues since they were all manual focus

Jack

01-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
OK, in case it is not the screen and this behavior pops it more than once... I would assume blind people run Pentax quality control. Being off a square to the right or a square to the left sounds like time warp from the RHPS.

amoringello: an illuminated red square MUST be more than a simple guideline. We can cope with problems, but simple misalignment is a design flaw or a qaulity control issue.
As a K-5 user, I find that my Focus Point (Center FP selected) sometimes drifts low and left of center, regardless of lens used. I simply auto-focus on something else (at a different distance than my intended subject), re-focus back on my subject, and that usually gets the AF point back to Center.
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I find using one of the focus points just to the left or right of the center one gets me a much more accurate focus, I think the focus sensors there are smaller were as the centre one is pretty large and can focus on something other than what you intend.