Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
new K5 but photo count starts on no1274

Hello folks,

2 weeks ago I swapped in my K7 for a new K5.
But after uploading the first picturers I have taken the number of the first photo I took is no1274.
That doesn't sound logical to me/
Could the shop have sold me a second hand one?

12-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Did you already have some photos on your SD card? It'll pick up where the previous camera left off.

If you're in doubt, you can check your camera's shutter count here: Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you use something like Photome to look at the actual shutter count or just going off the image name/file number?
12-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
txs for the fast answers.

manufacturing date shows 2011:03:18 and shutter count 1230

That doesn't look good.
Off to the shop tomorrow.

12-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cor G. Quote
txs for the fast answers.

manufacturing date shows 2011:03:18 and shutter count 1230

That doesn't look good.
Off to the shop tomorrow.

Its normal for cameras to have several hundred shutter actuations on it when new. Was the 1230 figure after you had take some pictures or before? Pentax runs the cameras through several hundred test firings at the factory, before shipping. Its important that you are looking at the shutter count in the EXIF data, and not the filename (ie, IMGP1230.JPG).

The manufacture date is not definitive, either. It could just mean that it took eight months to get from the factory to the US distributor in Denver, to a regional jobber, to the camera store, to you. That seems a little long, but I don't think you can take it as proof that the camera was purchased and returned.

This subject comes up somewhat frequently. I don't think anyone has ever reported less than 200-300 shutter actuations on their new camera. 1230 is a little high, but not unprecedented.
12-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I had zero shutter actuations on my k5 when I got it.
12-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I had zero shutter actuations on my k5 when I got it.
Are you judging by the EXIF data or by the image file name? It is normal for the image FILENAME to begin at zero. If you are getting the actual shutter count from the EXIF, yours will be the first I've heard of that was zero.

BTW, the filename number can be reset, either up or down. The shutter count in the EXIF can not. That's why it is the definitive number.

12-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
And I had 0 actuations on ALL my new cameras as well. Different than 0 is in my mind USED, period.
12-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trapezoid645 Quote
And I had 0 actuations on ALL my new cameras as well. Different than 0 is in my mind USED, period.
It maybe the other way around. I think it's usual for the cameras to come from the factory with a couple of hundred actuations.

Perhaps a service centre reset the actuations count either intentionally or as part of a servicing operation. I think this is what happened after a member had their mirror-flopping camera's motherboard replaced.

Dan.
12-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Trapezoid645 Quote
Depends on the camera. ALL cameras have shutter actuations on them when they are tested at the factory before being shipped out. Starting with the K-5/K-r Pentax started feasting the count back to zero before shipping them out. Previous Pentax bodies generally shipped out with counts in the 200-300 range. I don't know what Canon/Nikon do, but I suspect if previous bodies you've owned had a shutter count of zero, it was because they were reset at the factory.

That said, it sounds like the OP did in fact get a used body since new K-5 bodies should have a shutter count of zero.

Edit: looks like another Dan beat me to a reply by a matter of seconds
12-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The shutter count in the EXIF can not
They started shipping K5`s with low shutter actuation numbers (checked with Photo-me), unlike my K100D and K7 that had several hundred actuation's. So 1000+ on K5 is alarming.

Edit: I would never make it in jeopardy.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-26-2011 at 05:18 PM.
12-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Are you judging by the EXIF data or by the image file name? It is normal for the image FILENAME to begin at zero. If you are getting the actual shutter count from the EXIF, yours will be the first I've heard of that was zero.

BTW, the filename number can be reset, either up or down. The shutter count in the EXIF can not. That's why it is the definitive number.
Zero count on mine also and yes that is from the EXIF data
12-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
yours will be the first I've heard of that was zero
Then mine will be the second one you will hear about with a zero shutter count when purchased.

I returned my camera after some 2000 shutter actuations with the infamous mirror flops. Was repaired by installing a new main board with a new manufacturing date and the shutter count was at six which was the result of checking the cam at the repair shop. Most K-5s when new were supplied with either low count (like 2-6) or zero from all the reports I am getting.

Greetings
12-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

yours will be the first I've heard of that was zero.
Own a brand new K-5 and your shutter count straight out of the box will be zero or close to it.
12-26-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same here My bought on 21 Dec also had 0