Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #1

K-5 locked up: return or keep?

Purchased my K-5 on Cyber Monday and love the low light performance and overall feel. However, it locked up 3 times (during 3000 shots). According to some threads about k-5, it seems I am not the only one to have the frozen-up issue. Need some advices regarding return for replacement or refund, before it's too late. I am wonder if anybody has had a k-5 for long time with no occurences of lock-up? Thanks

12-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Never have a lock up or anyother problesms. Mine is an early production one
12-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Mine has done that occasionally as well: completely frozen until battery is briefly removed. It has not gotten in the way of anything as popping out the battery is fast, but of course it is annoying when it happens. A firmware bug, most likely, might be found and fixed still. (Currently I'm on 1.11 and this keeps happening.)
12-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I have used K-5 since over a year now. I had 4 different body's and currently own 2.
#1 had the stains, but was a perfect camera and I took about 9.000 pictures with it before I returned it.
#2 had a few freezes during the time I had it, but I didn't worry about it since it only where a few. I sold it to replace it with a newer body after about 55.000 pictures.
#3 is the K-5 Silver and has now little over 30.000 pictures on it. Still a perfect camera where I use DA15mm, DA40mm, DA*55, FA*85 and DA*300mm lenses on.
#4 is the newest black body, with this years cash back replacement and I made just over 20.000 pictures with it. I use DA21mm, DA*55mm and Sigma 70-200mm on it. Needs a little bit more correction on the lenses for BF/FF.

Question is, is this a real big problem, or just something that occurs on an occasion (like low battery or so).

12-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Never had a lock up. Maybe describe the lockup and what you were doing.
12-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Never nice to buy something and have issues out of the box....I offer my experience in the hope it may help you.

Bought a K5 and a DA* 50-135. I was told the 50-135 was an "open box", that is new, but had been in a demo situation in a store. Immediately had auto focus issues with the set up (slow & erratic) and eventually tracked it back to the lens which was returned for warranty repairs and now works fine.

Some time later I purchased two things on ebay:
1. Kingston 32gb sd cards. Had problems almost immediatley when down loading pictures (blank spots and error messages where photos should have been in about 10% of shots)....and eventually camera froze. Removed battery, replaced cards fixed that.
2. After market grip and two batteries. Grip can use either propietory or AA batteries. Used the grip for the first time on a trip last Sept, and mistakenly put Lithium 4X AA batteries in it (thought they were the standard 8X lithiums), on the second day of shooting things started going wrong, freezing up etc....and finally locked up altogether. Removed the grip, went back to using the propietory battery and all came good. No more issues on trip.
Have since used the grip with 8X lithiums with no problems.

Thats my story....hope you can find something in there that works for you.
Cheers
Grant
12-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
I have shot about 10,000 photos with my camera since getting it in March. It has locked up probably about twice on two separate occasions (total of four times) this summer, but not since then. If you do a search on this topic, you will find that people say this happens with a low battery charge. My very anecdotal impression is that it happened when I was putting a lot of strain on the camera, shooting flying swallows at short range with the 55-300mm telephoto, with the camera going from one end of the focal range to the other as I was swinging the camera this way and that. It only required removing the battery and reinserting it to get over the problem. The upshot is that in practice it will not be problem and otherwise, keep your batteries well charged and have a spare on hand. I think your experience is in the same ballpark. What were the circumstances of your lockups? How much time left do you have in your warranty?

I hope this is a useful response.

I am wondering about how you posed your question to the forum, meaning what kind of response you expect. You are asking for people who have never had a lock up, i.e., have even less experience than you on this matter, to provide you with advice on what to do. Furthermore, I am sure there are many such people out there, but you won't get a representative poll.
12-27-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter

The only lockups I've had with my K5 were on stop-down metering with a fully manual lens, and even then, only twice.

12-27-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter

5 freezes early on, but nothing in several months.
12-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for so many replies. My intention was to hear from people who had experience with K-5. I read about the lock-up issue that many people reported, but don't know if there are many people who have never had such an issue with K-5 for months. If so, then I would return my K-5 for a replacement to try on. If most people think frozen-up is a rare incident that caused by software bug, not by hard ware issue that is specific to mine, then I may just keep this one. BTW, two of frozen-ups happened when I shoot HI continuous (I use burst kind, 3-5 in a row), using DA* 50-135mm. I cannot remember the battery status at these time. The other happened when I use FA 50mm /1.4 len for single shoot, with pentax battery grip on, fully charged battery. I contacted Pentax who suggested to return to retailer. I have been using K10D for past two years and have never had a locked -up issue with it.
12-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hi Grant, what "propietory battery" you use in the battery grip?
12-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #12

If I recall correctly, Tony3d had this issue with his new camera, he exchanged it for another one and no freezeups. Do a quick forum check for his writeup on this issue. BTW, on my second one, and no lockups.
12-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
Forum Member

Hello,
keep it!
I own a K-5 from early series (manufacture date: 14.12.2010) and it locked up 3-4 times until now,actual shutter count: 9500
in my case it mostly happened in AF.C mode when shooting continuously following moving subjects (e.g. air show)
Congrats to the K-5, i love it despite some AF problems in low-light.

Greetings, Sascha
12-28-2011, 01:41 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gs18jlll Quote
Purchased my K-5 on Cyber Monday and love the low light performance and overall feel. However, it locked up 3 times (during 3000 shots). According to some threads about k-5, it seems I am not the only one to have the frozen-up issue. Need some advices regarding return for replacement or refund, before it's too late. I am wonder if anybody has had a k-5 for long time with no occurences of lock-up? Thanks
Let me be frank: There is NO QUESTION that you should return it. My K20D was having the exact same freeze-up issue, even using Pentax batteries, 3 years ago after I bought it. It happened a few times over the first couple of months, and there was no rhyme or reason for each freeze-up - they were completely random.

Upon coming back from repair, the invoice said that the motherboard had been replaced, and after that point it never had a single freeze-up in nearly 3 years. So it's highly probable that you have defective hardware and not just a software issue, and I don't think anybody else should take even one freeze-up too lightly. If it happens more than once, you'd frankly be foolish to not have it replaced/repaired before your warranty expires.

If someone wants me to link to the posts I wrote about this issue nearly 3 years ago, I will upon request. Otherwise, take my word that this can become a more serious issue if not dealt with promptly.