Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best manual lens screen?

I use mostly manual lenses and have been saving up to switch over to a k-5.

Before I make the jump though, I wanted to know what is the best replacement screen when using my old A-lenses.

12-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Read this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/142241-best-screen-ever-...anon-ee-s.html
12-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #3

Other than the stock the only one I have tried is this one:
Pentax K-5 & K-7 KatzEye Focusing Screen
I have been quite happy with it – I got the optional treatment, and and ‘cross-hair’ lines on it. I’ve never noticed a significant effect with metering, though there are some notices on the site about certain conditions.
12-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dj_saunter Quote
I use mostly manual lenses and have been saving up to switch over to a k-5.

Before I make the jump though, I wanted to know what is the best replacement screen when using my old A-lenses.
Just ordered the Katzeye screen as it has become the most wanted third party screen on several forums. There is a set of shims available from Pentax for fine adjustment of the focusing screen. You should consider this set as well - 50 bucks in Switzerland.

At the same time I am wondering lately what the real size of the focussing spot in the K5 is. I tended to assume that the square is the spot for the focus, but I had to realize that +/- 1 square around the spot area is the active focus area. This is really bad if you want to apply AF for portrait photography or want to pin point focus though a well defined narrow gap - only manual focussing will allow correct focus in these cases. I will look into this phenomenon, maybe the projection of the AF spot on my screen is off.

12-30-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
At the same time I am wondering lately what the real size of the focussing spot in the K5 is. I tended to assume that the square is the spot for the focus, but I had to realize that +/- 1 square around the spot area is the active focus area. This is really bad if you want to apply AF for portrait photography or want to pin point focus though a well defined narrow gap - only manual focussing will allow correct focus in these cases. I will look into this phenomenon, maybe the projection of the AF spot on my screen is off.
Switch to centre-point focus, put a cube on a stand with nothing in the near background behind it, and pan across it in AF.C. This should show you the extent of the centre focus point.

LV with Info button zooming is great for MF checking of static subjects.

Dan.