Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #76
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi all,
thanks for all the reply but I have made my mind up and jumped....
At the moment I'm happy owner of Canon 7D and few lame lenses, but hey I started Pentax kit with 18-55... I'll get there with Canon too...
I went for Canon over Nikon because as good as 300s is, at really high ISO 7D beats it.
Further to that, like Simon, I see myself using FF in future as I love DOF control, and with buying the right lenses I know the option with Canon (or Nikon for that matter) is there, and I don't have to hope for one day maybe full frame...
It'll take me a while to get L glass or some sort of decent glass, but for now I'm fine...From first tests, the camera beats the pants off my K-7. Some of you might be right that K5 would deliver on the same level, but I simply wasn't willing to take the risk. The AF system of 7D seems to be whole galaxy ahead of what I'm used to. The speed, the customization etc... further the body is larger and as such simply fits better to my hands compared to K-7/5 of which I always thought they are bit cramped for my hands. I always preferred K10/20 body size. Yes, the lenses suck at the moment, but that's temporary. I don't think I'll have huge problems soon having kit resembling to my K mount set up....

as a last note, it's not the end though. I'm still keeping K-x and 31ltd for my wife, and that means the K mount will be still there, and when the situation will get bit better I might be buying the small Ltd lenses for her...and I might post here and there too...
Now I just need to find some Canon forums

Good luck to all of you and it was a blast....

01-05-2012, 02:57 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Hey, good luck, and congrats too ;-)
A camera is a camera right?

I got myself a nex5n w evf, a buch of adapters.
but still use K5/K20...
01-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Hi all,
thanks for all the reply but I have made my mind up and jumped....

Good luck to all of you and it was a blast....
I hope your new kit does what you want it to and good luck to you. It is a loss to lose you and your posts from this community.

Kevin
01-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #79
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well alright then Peter. All the best with the 7D - a fine camera indeed.
Go slow with the lens investments - good ones don't come cheap.
Indeed, we'll miss your contributions here.
Love your street work.

01-06-2012, 03:36 AM   #80
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys,
appreciate your comments.
I will be around, but maybe not posting pics as often as I'm keeping only K-x and 31ltd...But who know in the future. If Pentax will make FF I'll be very tempted to come back with it and Ltd lenses
01-06-2012, 04:20 AM   #81
Pentaxian

axl, after you have gathered some experience with the 7, please come back to tell about it. It would be interesting to hear from the perpective of a long time Pentax user. And congrats, it's most likely a great camera.
01-06-2012, 05:47 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
you need a Nikon D3s nothing less
You obviously missed yesterdays release of the D4........Man that thing looks nice.
01-06-2012, 02:31 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Now I just need to find some Canon forums
Try POTN. I'm on their lighting forum a bit because they're more into studio photography than most Pentaxians are.
Grab their inexpensive nifty 50.

And report back when you get faster lenses...curious what your keeper rate is. According to a post in that FM thread I pointed you at, Canon bodies focus faster but *less* accurately than Nikon bodies...

01-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its good to hear your happy mate, all the best with your new system
01-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Axl, sorry to lose your FA*24 shots - you always made me sad that I got rid of mine!

Enjoy the Canon, and please do check back in a few months and compare it to your K7 experiences.
01-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #86
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

You'll be back someday Peter - the Pentax FF will be out soon and give you good reason to get all the FA Limited and FA* lenses again...
01-12-2012, 05:49 AM   #87

Axl, if you're still reading the thread, I too am getting tired of the lowlight autofocus of the k5. Everything else about it is perfect.. Just wish I could stick the Nikon autofocus in it and I'd be the happiest shooter around!

How are you finding the 7D??
01-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Just got 2 lenses from a gent jumping from K10+K20 to m4/3 panasonic.
his da40 wont do AF not long ago, and his da50-135 just wont AF any more.
mine new ones are ok
01-14-2012, 01:51 AM   #89
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noons Quote
How are you finding the 7D??
Miles ahead of K-7 I had.
AF is fast. 7D +EF50/1.4 lock focus almost instantly in light where K-7 + DA*55 would hunt and adjust and adjust and adjust and the lock on god knows what.
In poor light the AF is not super accurate but better than K-7 for sure in both speed and accuracy. Outside it's just no contest. The 7D is locking focus in an instance. I was testing it a bit and (again with 50/1.4 wide open) the camera locked focus on moving cyclist and tracked her for 7 shots I squeezed out. Result? 5 shots were pin sharp, one was near miss and one was OOF. It's not 100% but it's still a result that my K-7 could only dream of.
The camera is bigger than K-7/5 but that's fine by me as I have large hands. Thanks to it's size I don't need girp to feel comfortable so overall the set up is smaller and lighter than my K-7 with similar lenses. Of course later on with L gass this will change
I'm still getting used to the Canon colours but other than that there is a lot to like about 7D's sensor.

My advice? If you are not happy move one. Life's too short to thread water
01-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #90

Thanks for the reply Axl, much appreciated.

Glad to hear your thoughts, and that you're enjoying the sea change!
I might see if I can borrow a mates 7d to try out for a weekend - its either a 7d or a d700 (as FF is the intended destination).

I'd like to see what one of your new indoor shots look like, if you wouldn't mind posting an example.

How do you find the canon 50 f1.4 vs the DA* 55 ?