Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I guess I was too tire of bad luck with K mount bodies.
If you read my earlier posts you'll find out that I was really less than lucky with my bodies and the rate I went throught them....
Another thing to keep in mind is resale value, I will be upgrading some day, and I'll get lot more for used 7D then I'd get for K-5. And yet another thing is FF. I'm a speed freak. I love shallow DOF and will eventualy go FF. With Canon I can buy my glass, use it on 7D and when time comes I just put it on FF body. With Pentax, I had my glass, I did use it on crop body...but when and if FF K mount body comes is a big question mark. With my current set up I make the choice when wthe time is right to go FF. With Pentax that wasn't in my hands. Lastly, the AF of K-5 is by all accounts better than any other Pentax before, but it still can't match 7D for customisation and traking AF based on all I have read.
I've had one issue with one of my K5s when the CPU conked out (repaired and back in my hands within 5 days) but otherwise, with lenses and bodies both, I've not had any problems at all so have a very positive opinion of Pentax gear.

Having a number of f1.4 and two f1.2 lenses you can tell I'm also a low DoF freak .... and so a FF in the form of the D700 (or maybe the 5D Mk II) is on the horizon, but the K5 and most of my K-mount lenses won't be going anywhere. I prefer the D700 by far ... however the ability to use all my K-mount lenses with an adapter on the 5D Mk II is still pulling at me.

I've used the 7D in paid events (belongs to the Pro I was backing up) but can't say there was anything at all between the K5 and 7D at low light dances ... however I didn't use it at the sports events I backed him up at so can't comment on the tracking (though I expect the Nikon D700 and 300s to have a big edge and the Canon 7D & 5D mk II to still be somewhat ahead), at those events I used only my K5 without any issues at all.

01-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #107
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'm happy you have had good bodies. Sadly I didn't.
I never had issues with lenses and have always loved the SMC Pentax labeled glass. I can't talk of comparisons as I have yet to try similar Canon lenses to what I had on K mount. The only direct comparison I can make is DA*55 and EF50. Or more apropriately FA50/1.4 and EF50.
From what I've read 5D MkII isn't all that great in AF compared to 7D and Nikons (D300 & 700) have edge over 7D. For me 7D is nice middle ground. I do think I could have jumped to 5D (which ever Mk) right away but everyone I asked said 7D beats them in AF by margin. Having said that I had a go at it with 5D (classic one) on the street after dark, only few few street lights and shop lights, and with EF35/2 it was locking focus in an instance. I was trying K10D + 31ltd and K-7+43ltd in very similar situations and while K-7 would eventually lock, it was rarely on target, and K10D just gave up after few hunts with flashing hexagon...

Bottom line, to each his own...
01-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm happy you have had good bodies. Sadly I didn't.
I never had issues with lenses and have always loved the SMC Pentax labeled glass. I can't talk of comparisons as I have yet to try similar Canon lenses to what I had on K mount.
Man, speaking of lenses - one reason to enjoy Canon for me would be their EF 85/1.8 - no such thing in Pentax land - I had to go for manual K85/1.8 (which would be almost perfect if camera supports it to the full extent like it does with A lenses)...
Pentax lenses are great, but Canon's L glass are not slouch either, only more costly
On the other hand Canon is probably doing better job with zoom lenses than Pentax...
01-15-2012, 03:11 PM   #109
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Man, speaking of lenses - one reason to enjoy Canon for me would be their EF 85/1.8 - no such thing in Pentax land - I had to go for manual K85/1.8 (which would be almost perfect if camera supports it to the full extent like it does with A lenses)...
Pentax lenses are great, but Canon's L glass are not slouch either, only more costly
On the other hand Canon is probably doing better job with zoom lenses than Pentax...
I hear you..

but for now I went for EF100/2. No such thing in Pentax land either
I'm have my eye on 24/1.4L but need to see if I can gather funds. And at some point I would love 35/1.4 too...

01-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #110
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
for those who want to see:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/171842-da-55-v...ml#post1780972
01-15-2012, 03:34 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Simon,
I still have the K-7 and 55 at home so I might do some comparison shots. Will let you know once it's up.
That would be interesting to see, thanks mate

EDIT: Just saw your post with the link.

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 01-15-2012 at 03:41 PM.
01-15-2012, 04:18 PM   #112
Veteran Member

axl why on earth did you stay so long with Pentax? It appears Canon is your magic brand. Good luck.

Personally I have used different brands and find autofocus overrated. They all perform similarly i.e. hunting etc. It all depends on the conditions and what you are trying to accomplish. Pentax has quickshift which in the end is the most accurate way to focus on what you want to be in focus. Especially for shallow depth of field wide aperture shooting which is one of the hardest things to do to get what you want in focus. Autofocus will not miraculously change that.

As for Pentax and Canon prime lenses they are two different things. Pentax lenses are compact to compliment their compact bodies. Like the DA LTD's. Even the FA LTD's. Canon has no such lenses. The FA 77 is a much better lens choice for Pentax users than the huge Canon EF85's. With the FA77 you get Canon L glass quality at a third of the price. I have an SMC A 100 f2.8 lens. Canon has nothing like it for it's compact size and focal length.

The only advantage I see Canon giving you is larger sized equipment which in your case is what you want. To switch brands in the hope of taking better photographs is like chasing ghosts. Camera systems don't take bad photographs people do.

As a caveat to that your K-7 may suffer from the shutter blur phenomenon that Falk detailed in his extensive testing. The blur occurred between 1/60 to 1/125 shutter speeds. This is a real issue with the K-7. I experienced it myself. The K-5 does not suffer from this. The K-5 in every way is a better camera due to the sensor alone. The ergonomics are exactly the same with the K-5/K-7 which in your case is the real reason you should have switched to Canon as you prefer a larger sized body. I have access to B&H so I can handle any camera brand. For my personal use I have found Pentax has the best ergonomics than any other brand. In second I would say Sony. Sony's full frame camera fits the hand much better than either Nikon or Canon. The Nikon's ergonomically are better than Canon in my personal experience. Which may vary from person to person.

You should get your wife the K-5. You have some really nice Pentax glass for it. It would be a shame to let it go.

01-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #113
Veteran Member

I hear you..

but for now I went for EF100/2. No such thing in Pentax land either
I'm have my eye on 24/1.4L but need to see if I can gather funds. And at some point I would love 35/1.4 too...
100/2 is sweet lens, so I have heard. I wish you good luck in getting that 35L glass soon.....It would be nice to hear your comments on its performance against 31 Limited. I haven't shot any Canon glass yet (I'm a Nikon convert), but in a lens tests Canon seems to have their lenses better corrected for distortion and vigneting in comparison to Pentax. So or so, I really like the photos from Pentax lenses...
01-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #114
Veteran Member

So far i've used the EF 50/1.8 of Canon, well, it's very close of the F50/1.7 , and i feel both are good, but somehow different.

The 70-200/2.8 is just awe-some. a bit expensive, but if you can find some from second hand, you will be very please with it. I can guaranty it without any risk.
01-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Pentax has quickshift which in the end is the most accurate way to focus on what you want to be in focus.
Even the FA LTD's. Canon has no such lenses.
But the Canons all come with "Quick Shift." Irony...

The FA 77 is a much better lens choice for Pentax users than the huge Canon EF85's. With the FA77 you get Canon L glass quality at a third of the price. I have an SMC A 100 f2.8 lens. Canon has nothing like it for it's compact size and focal length.
Comparing price or speed? Cause the 85/1.8 is like half the price of an FA77, while the 85/1.2L is like double the FA's price and is almost two stops faster.

Since Canon can accept a bunch of alternate lens mounts, there surely is a 100/2.8 alternative...just not with auto aperture

The Quick Shift issue is the biggest gripe I have with Pentax, so I don't mean to make this post "personal." That and the FA Ltds are always the "be-all, end-all" in brand discussions but they're still screw drive...which means flicking the focus switch on the camera or refocusing by moving the camera. Ugh. FA Ltds with Quick Shift would be a dream come true.
01-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
FA77, while the 85/1.2L is like double the FA's price and is almost two stops faster.
"Almost two stops faster"?!?!

Its only one stop mate

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 01-17-2012 at 03:49 PM.
01-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Pentax SMC FA* 85mm F1.4 works rather well, and of course there are other of other 85mm options to look at as well beyond the K85/2.8.
01-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #118
Veteran Member

I know the OP has already made up his mind, but for future users of the search button, the D90 was my camera before I switched brands to Pentax.
The D90 is a 2 generation old camera, but in my opinion it still had better AF than my K-5. Ergonomics, low light shooting, IQ and DR all favor the K-5, but Pentax still lags behind an aging Nikon when it comes to AF.
01-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I know the OP has already made up his mind, but for future users of the search button, the D90 was my camera before I switched brands to Pentax.
The D90 is a 2 generation old camera, but in my opinion it still had better AF than my K-5. Ergonomics, low light shooting, IQ and DR all favor the K-5, but Pentax still lags behind an aging Nikon when it comes to AF.
I think the D90 is an awesome little camera. Not only with AF - it's sensor is still rated very highly on DxO, it still is very useful in low light situations both for it's great AF lock and it's low-light noise performance.
01-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #120
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Pentax SMC FA* 85mm F1.4 works rather well,
True, but compared to the Canon 85/1.8, we're talking about a cost of about 4-5x more