Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 04:31 AM   #91
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noons Quote
Thanks for the reply Axl, much appreciated.

Glad to hear your thoughts, and that you're enjoying the sea change!
I might see if I can borrow a mates 7d to try out for a weekend - its either a 7d or a d700 (as FF is the intended destination).

I'd like to see what one of your new indoor shots look like, if you wouldn't mind posting an example.

How do you find the canon 50 f1.4 vs the DA* 55 ?
FF is my destination too. I nearly ended up getting used 5MkII but everyone I asked said 7D has better AF.

7D is way different in controls to Pentax and it took me few days to get used to it but now I find it good.

To be fair I miss somr things from Pentax. Mainly SR and TAv. But oh well.

EF50/1.4 vs DA*55?
EF - faster AF (much much so)
- bigger MF throw
- smaller
- lighter
- not as busy outlining wide open

DA*
- WR
- more contrast wide open
- warmer colours
- comes with hood and pouch (with Canon you have to purchase these as extras)
- rounded aperture blades

Sharpness is pretty much at toss of the coin
Build is very similar

So far, I don't miss the 55. Or the other way around, EF50 delivers all I need for nearly half the price.

Regards

01-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good luck, Peter. I'll be sad to miss photos you post here, but hopefully things work out with Canon...

I'm still pretty hopeful that the Pentax - Ricoh relationship is going to bring a new direction. For the moment, I am waiting (albeit somewhat impatiently).
01-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That seems to be my real issue. AF-C for Pentax is just miles behind AF-Tracking with the other brands. I too would give some serious thought to a D700. I'll give Pentax the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what they release. If its a FF with auto tracking I'm staying right where I'm at. If its not, I think I'm going to Nikon.
01-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #94
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Good luck, Peter. I'll be sad to miss photos you post here, but hopefully things work out with Canon...

I'm still pretty hopeful that the Pentax - Ricoh relationship is going to bring a new direction. For the moment, I am waiting (albeit somewhat impatiently).
Thanks!

I'll miss the comunity here too. But I have to say that so far the Canon experience outweight it... I'll pop in now and then and as long as I won't manage to convince my Mrs to sell 31ltd there still is a chance I'll be posting in FA ltd club although given my dislike of K-x I doubt it...

I hope Pentax-Ricoh partnership will flourish but for now I don't see it realistic that in foreseeable future their product range will be what I'd like it to be...If I'm wrong...oh well, it's always easier/cheaper to jump from Canon to Pentax than the other way around Never say never...

01-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #95
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
That seems to be my real issue. AF-C for Pentax is just miles behind AF-Tracking with the other brands. I too would give some serious thought to a D700. I'll give Pentax the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what they release. If its a FF with auto tracking I'm staying right where I'm at. If its not, I think I'm going to Nikon.
It would have to be HUGE improvement to match 700D's tracking AF. Sadly even used 700Ds are out of my price bracket hence my turn to Canon, who at the moment has better APSC high end product than Nikon. That might change with D400 but that one would be out of price range again...
01-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #96
Pentaxian

axl has just been through the exact same decision process that i am now entering. 7D, K5, D7000 etc. I have been shooting australian rules footy with a k10, so i have NO doubt that the K5 focussing will be a huge step up, even if it's not as good as the the two big brands. AF isn't everything anyway, understanding the sport and patterns of play are just as important. However, for me the issue revolves around glass quality, and this is where it gets murky in my mind. i'm thinking the high iso ability of the k5 will make up for the relative slowness of the big sigma zooms which are really the only options without spending huge money and optically they are usable but not brilliant. but the canikons have more fast-glass options in the next price bracket up from the sigma's and better IQ. complicating matters further in my mind is that i think the k10's skin-tones and color rendition are outstanding for general use and family shots/portraits, and may well be better than the k5 based on what i've seen. So no matter what i do, i Think i plan to keep the k10 and invest in some top-notch primes. At this point in time anyway. I just love the camera. but whether i use the k5 for the sports stuff (and the general features of the K5 seem outstanding- body IS, Tav modes etc- as does the high iso IQ etc etc) plus casual shooting, or switch over largely for the convenience of longer glass availability is something i cannot get my head around at the moment.

right now, i'm still leaning to k5 as an all-round camera and keeping brand consistency makes sense. and if i can get useful results from the 10, surely the 5 will at worst be better. and it appears to be an excellent camera for weddings etc. but a 7D would give me access to lens sharing with a mate running a 5dII, and lens hire options that simply do not exist in australia for Pentax users. for large field sports, that's enticing. I've even thought of picking up a second hand 40d purely for the football use, again solely because of the glass access i then have. but as a camera and for IQ, i think the k10 is better than the 40d. sigh, decisions decisions lol

Last edited by saladin; 01-14-2012 at 06:19 PM.
01-15-2012, 12:57 AM   #97
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
trust me I know exactly how do you feel!

Personally, the K10D was the best Pentax camera I have used. period.
40D seems to have quite some following but in low ISO IQ I think you are better off with K10D. Although AF should be faster on 40D. If you are keeping K10 no matter what, I think going with K-5 makes the most sense for you. CaNikons don't have many fast long options which you could get exactly cheap..

01-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hows the bokeh highlights on that 50mm f/1.4?

That was one of the lenses on my list I was thinking to get when I jump to FF.....

Last edited by TOUGEFC; 01-15-2012 at 03:11 AM.
01-15-2012, 01:38 AM   #99
Pentaxian

yeah, i think if i opt for the K5, i'll then likely be on the hunt for a Sigma 100-300 f/4. It's meant to be sharper than the 150-500 (hopefully allowing me to crop in a bit because 300 is still a bit shorter than what i'd like) and f/4 is pretty useful at 300mm. i've always covetted this lens and actually considered it for the k10, i think in good light it'd be excellent. but late afternoon in mid-winter melbourne seldom provides good light, and that's why the change in body is being contemplated.
01-15-2012, 03:09 AM   #100
Pentaxian

The K5 should be compared to Canon 7D and Nikon D300s - feature wise. Size of the K5 is considerably smaller, making it the go everywhere camera with small DA fixed focal length lenses. If you need it bigger, get the battery pack. The smaller Canon and Nikon bodies do not carry important features that the k5 can offer.
At the moment (still) only Pentax offers decent normal aperture fixed focal length lenses. Be aware though that Nikon just presented a ned 85 AF-S lens with moderate aperture - while useless on APS-C cameras - it shows that Canon and Nikon start redesigning their second line of lenses.
If you like a great camera with small footprint and fixed focal length lenses, the K5 is right for you. If you ware craving for large apeture lenses, long telephoto, large footprint, go for Nikon or Canon.
01-15-2012, 03:29 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Axl,
I own a K-7, along with 43, 55, and 77mm lenses. I've been with Pentax since 2008, but I've never fully converted (still using Nikon D80). Although I hate the thought of parting with those three lenses, I am constantly frustrated by the K-7's inferior autofocus. Love the camera, love the flexibility in-body SR allows, but Nikon makes a superior body. I wish Pentax would make the camera that would allow me to retire the D80.
01-15-2012, 05:11 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bushwhacker09 Quote
Axl,
I own a K-7, along with 43, 55, and 77mm lenses. I've been with Pentax since 2008, but I've never fully converted (still using Nikon D80). Although I hate the thought of parting with those three lenses, I am constantly frustrated by the K-7's inferior autofocus. Love the camera, love the flexibility in-body SR allows, but Nikon makes a superior body. I wish Pentax would make the camera that would allow me to retire the D80.
I used the K7 before buying a K5 (which is now 2 K5s) - there is a huge performance jump from the K7 to the K5 overall, including improved focusing, and the latest firmware 1.12 for the K5 that has just been released is supposed to improve the focusing even further. I really don't know why Peter didn't try out the K5 before switching to the 7D (which I've also used) but I'm pleased that he's now happy with what he's got.
01-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #103
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Hows the bokeh highlights on that 50mm f/1.4?

That was one of the lenses on my list I was thinking to get when I jump to FF.....

Simon,
I still have the K-7 and 55 at home so I might do some comparison shots. Will let you know once it's up.
01-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #104
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The K5 should be compared to Canon 7D and Nikon D300s - feature wise. Size of the K5 is considerably smaller, making it the go everywhere camera with small DA fixed focal length lenses. If you need it bigger, get the battery pack. The smaller Canon and Nikon bodies do not carry important features that the k5 can offer.
At the moment (still) only Pentax offers decent normal aperture fixed focal length lenses. Be aware though that Nikon just presented a ned 85 AF-S lens with moderate aperture - while useless on APS-C cameras - it shows that Canon and Nikon start redesigning their second line of lenses.
If you like a great camera with small footprint and fixed focal length lenses, the K5 is right for you. If you ware craving for large apeture lenses, long telephoto, large footprint, go for Nikon or Canon.
Size matters.
And judging size is very subjective. Yes, K-7/5 body is small, but for some (like me) it's too small. Yes, grip does improve it a lot but:
A) makes the camera bigger/heavier than 7D or 300s
B) even with grip I was often poking my eye with my right thumb when trying to get the rear dial.
I always preferred the body/size of K10D.
Why would 85/1.8 be useless on APSC cameras? Is 77/1.8?

Don't judge just because some have different tastes or priorities than you...
01-15-2012, 05:37 AM   #105
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
I really don't know why Peter didn't try out the K5 before switching to the 7D (which I've also used) but I'm pleased that he's now happy with what he's got.
I guess I was too tire of bad luck with K mount bodies.
If you read my earlier posts you'll find out that I was really less than lucky with my bodies and the rate I went throught them....
Another thing to keep in mind is resale value, I will be upgrading some day, and I'll get lot more for used 7D then I'd get for K-5. And yet another thing is FF. I'm a speed freak. I love shallow DOF and will eventualy go FF. With Canon I can buy my glass, use it on 7D and when time comes I just put it on FF body. With Pentax, I had my glass, I did use it on crop body...but when and if FF K mount body comes is a big question mark. With my current set up I make the choice when wthe time is right to go FF. With Pentax that wasn't in my hands. Lastly, the AF of K-5 is by all accounts better than any other Pentax before, but it still can't match 7D for customisation and traking AF based on all I have read.