Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 and no lens

Dang, was ready to pull the trigger on the DA* 55mm (I am a prime guy who wants WR) but now spooked by the Auto-focus issues. What now? Or is the AF issue on this lens exaggerated?

12-30-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Newbie WR question: If my lens is not a WR model, would that not make a "water opening" at the lens mount, thereby negating the WR aspect of the K-5 body itself?
12-30-2011, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
Newbie WR question: If my lens is not a WR model, would that not make a "water opening" at the lens mount, thereby negating the WR aspect of the K-5 body itself?
Yes. You can pick up the 18-55 WR for very cheap and the quality is good stepped down. However, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 55mm for the water resistance. Buy new and return it if you have trouble with it.
12-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you just need the weather sealing I'd get the kit lens, as the screwdrive AF is faster, lol (IQ is worse, though)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-30-2011, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well speaking as a recent DA* 55mm f/1.4 owner, I was puzzled why my initial pictures were generally ok but weren't really tack sharp even with AF adjustment in the custom menu. Where I am, once you buy the lens and walk out of the camera shop, there is no such thing as returns. Having seen how sharp this lens can be, I decided to send my lens and K-5 for calibration to Pentax Japan. Pentax Japan replaced the sensor and adjusted the AF calibration. According to the job sheet they didn't do anything to the lens. Suffice to say the DA* 55mm and my other lenses now don't suffer from focus issues both indoors and outdoors. My DA* 55mm lens delivers consistently sharp images even at f/1.4.

So in a nutshell I'd still recommend the DA* 55mm because it is a stellar lens. I like it because I seem to find it easy to visualize the FOV even before picking up the camera and looking into the viewfinder. I've owned the FA 50 f/1.4 three times (love/hate relationship), the A 50mm f/1.4 twice and the Voigtlander 58mm Nokton f/1.4 SL II and I feel the DA* 55mm beats them all. I think many who may encounter sharp focus issues with this lens perhaps need to get their camera's AF module adjusted. It worked for me because my camera currently has no lens requiring any AF adjustment.

Last edited by creampuff; 12-30-2011 at 08:34 AM.