Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Live view comes on when not wanted

The live view comes on when not wanted on my K-5. It is ironic as many of the complaints against the K20 where that the live view didn't have a dedicated button. Perhaps it is the shape of my nose that bumps the LV button but I can't say for certain that my face is against it - looking through the view finder - when the LV comes on. Does this happen to anybody else. Do I need a nose job or a warranty repair? Personally I'd be happy if the button could be reprogrammed for something else as I don't use LV very often. Is this problem similar to the mirror flap issue?

01-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you shoot left eye or right? I shoot with my left, and occasionally turn on LV with my nose. I have a rather large nose though.

If it only happens when the camera is raised to your eye, I think you can safely rule out a hardware issue. Lots of people inadvertently hit a button or two with their nose.
01-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
Forum Member

Yup, I have had a few nose press issues myself, usually in the heat of the moment too
01-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow so it's a nose job or my K5? Tough choice. If only I could disable that button I could then keep both my nose and the K5. I'm pretty sure I shoot with my left eye so I think you hit the problem right on the nose.

01-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Do you use LV at all? Or much? If not, I'm sure you could rig something to go over the button, like a little plastic disc or something, just held on with tape. Even if that made it protrude a bit, it could help you realize when it happens, and help you adjust your positioning accordingly.

I agree, it'd be really nice if there were at least a software lock for some of the buttons like that. I hardly ever do it anymore, but when I first got my K-r, it happened enough to be annoying. A week or so of making a conscious effort to avoid it helped a lot.
01-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
Wow so it's a nose job or my K5? Tough choice. If only I could disable that button I could then keep both my nose and the K5. I'm pretty sure I shoot with my left eye so I think you hit the problem right on the nose.
Well, just trying to be helpful, make sure you send us a before and after photo