Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #1

Highlight & Shadow Correction

Hi there,

First of all all the best in New Year!

I have a quick question regarding D-Range settings in K-5. Do you often enable Highlight and Shadow Correction? I was wondering in which situations those corrections can be useful and in which situations they can make a picture worst.

Cheers,
Tom

01-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I use them rarely and ONLY when shooting against the sun when I have one part of the picture that is in the sun and the other that is in shadow. I found that it helps me get better histogram in these situations, but also that in all other situations those guys are reducing my contrast, so i have them turned off.
When you have highlights correction on, you cannot use ISO 100 and 80, so I take it as a compromise - one has to to figure out in which cases they are better off using lower ISO than having your highlights corrected by the camera, and vice versa. I usually prefer having the ability to lower ISO and correct highlights in pp.

Cheers,

Mario
01-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a wider dynamic range for photos straight out of the camera, the highlight/shadow correction options will do that, at the expense of making the image seem a little flatter.

Because this setting slows down image processing, I tend to not use it and instead apply the shadow/highlight correction in photoshop. I also bracket when it's really bright outside if needed.

Here are a few examples of what the setting accomplishes:
Pentax K-5 Review - Sample Photos - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you shoot in RAW you can apply shadow correction afterwards so if you shoot in RAW there is nothing to gain there.
Highlight correction is still a bit of a mystery, looks like it takes a photo at lower ISO and then up the brightness of the photo without making the highlights brighter.
So it looks like you can do this in post processing as well if you shoot in RAW

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want a wider dynamic range for photos straight out of the camera, the highlight/shadow correction options will do that, at the expense of making the image seem a little flatter.
Actually it doesn't make the dynamic range wider but ti does the oppisite.
As you can see in your examples the sky is in the small range of what the JPG can show so the actual Dynamic range is smaller so that it fits.
It's a bit the same what you do with HDR, true HDR can not be displayed, that's why they get toned down so that they fit on the media.

IF you want to widest dynamic range shoot in RAW at ISO80, it's the widest their and it's the "RAW" data from the sensor so you can not get it any better then that so don't let the camera apply any tricks.