Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The K-5 just can't write that fast. As for other equipment, sorry but replication and reliability of findings is something that is essential to eliminate random issues and errors of findings. Basic methodology here is important. While the report referred to is a nice anecdote it is not particularly meaningful. Analysis that looks at multiple cards across multiple devices with objective measures are more useful and are the ones that I will rely on in making my decisions. They indicate that the bottom line is that the only possible benefit from a Pro card at 45MB/s is on the removing the data from the card IF you have a USB 3.0 reader (which I do have) but NOT on the in the camera side of the equation with the K5, K-r, or K-x.
Nobody said the K5 could write that fast as far as i can see...
But i disagree there is no gain in using a faster card, you just say a benefit in your comment as well.

I agree with you though about the test but it does serve the purpose to show the expected write and read speed but nothing absolute though.

01-04-2012, 05:17 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use the Sandisk Ultra II and t is rated at 20m/s, which is fast enough for the K5.
01-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You can probably go slower without losing much depending on your shooting style.

The speed at which photos are displayed is slower but the feel of the camera for the rest would be the same.
01-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You can probably go slower without losing much depending on your shooting style.

The speed at which photos are displayed is slower but the feel of the camera for the rest would be the same.
Well, the speed is about there as I don't get the hour glass when I view the photos on the LCD. I don't shoot videos on the K5 though.

01-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I have some sundsik ducati sd cards rated 40MB/s and recently upgraded to the lastest super duper sandisk cards rated 95MB/s. The camera feels no faster and the transfer speed to my PC is limited to 23 MB/s anyways. Yes, no advantage other than being prepared for USB 3 transfer speeds (need new PC) and faster cameras.
01-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #21
Banned

Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/sec card in the K-5 test

QuoteQuote:
Our first comparisons will be with the SanDisk Extreme SD cards and the SanDisk Image Mate All in One USB 3.0 card reader. The Cards chosen in this comparison were the SanDisk Extreme Pro 16 GB, which has a speed rating of 95 MB/s, the SanDisk Extreme III 16 GB (30 MB/s version), the SanDisk Extreme III 8 GB (20 MB/s version) and a representative of an affordable card a SanDisk Ultra II 1 GB (10 MB/s).

The tests were carried out with a Pentax K5 camera, a SanDisk All in One USB 3.0 card reader and a SanDisk Extreme USB 2.0 card reader. With writing to the cards the test was conducted to take a series of image with the camera until the shot buffer was filled. Then once the buffer was filled a further ten images were taken. The timer was started when the shutter was first started and then stopped when the SD card writing light on the camera stopped flashing. To test the download times the card was put into a card reader to download them to the hard drive of the computer. Using a Windows 7 computer the process was timed for the beginning of the copy till it was finished with the burst speed being the highest indicated speed in the copy dialog box. The average was calculated from the time taken and the amount of data copied.

The SanDisk Extreme Pro cards are currently amongst the fastest SD cards on the market, but they are quite pricey, at the moment they are approximately twice the price of the Extreme HD video cards which are rated at approximately 1/3rd the speed. In general usage the camera with the fast card is perceptibly faster in write times and when looking through the images on the back of the camera they are once again slightly quicker. The difference though could quite easily be lost if you haven’t had your morning coffee.

The Pro card has the same level of build quality as all high end SD cards, and is said to be water, dust and shock proof. I don’t disagree with these claims as one of the Extreme III cards was left in a jean pocket and went through 2 full wash and dryer cycles before it was noticed. The card was fine and is still working 3 years later none the wiser for its adventure. Another card which fell out of my pocket spent the better part of two weeks on the ground in a carport and was run over at least twice a day and once again apart from a couple of scratches was fine. So there is no reason to doubt the durability of these cards.

The Pro card really does show its advantages though when it comes to downloading from the card to a computer. With the All in One card reader running on a standard USB 2.0 port the Pro card was able to copy the files over in about 60% of the time of the next fastest card. With the older card reader the performances for the two cards were identical, which suggests that both cards were able to exceed the performance of the Extreme reader. When the All in One reader was plugged into a USB 3.0 port the difference was staggering with the Pro card copying over the data nearly 2.5 times faster.

Finally the Pro cards have a nice little touch. On the front of the label there is a patch that can be written on. This is a very handy feature that is helpful for sorting cards and or tracking them in the event of loss or theft. Most other SD cards have a glossy label that even permanent markers will not stay on for long.

In the end, the Pro cards are much faster than any of the other cards in the test and by a large margin, both in camera as well as downloading the images to the computer. The down side with the Pro cards, and it is a big one, is the cost performance ratio. At the moment most cameras will not be able to match the performance of the cards. Also when downloading to a computer you will need a very high speed card reader to fully utilise the speed. On balance I think that these cards are worth the extra cost.
Cideway Imagery | Commercial and Fine Art Photography
01-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Hello,

we had the same discussion a short while ago on a German forum. I do attach the non-scientific results. It's not translated but I bet you can read it anyway.

Tests were rough and easy:
  1. Target a normal, brightly lit area with some realistic features (not white wall or with lens cap on).
  2. Set camera to Hi speed series. Set it to manual for maintaining high shutter speed.
  3. Set to 16M/DNG/****
  4. Fire until the buffer is full (this is alway 20-25 pictures).
  5. Note the time between the last (fast) shot and the end of the card writing red light going off (should be around 30-45 seconds)
  6. Check total file size on card via PC. Divide.
  7. Rinse and repeat 3 times to average out the results.
As the whole thing was meant to be easy there are many ways to discuss sense and approach. For me that is enough, I don't need more information or precision. That's why we ended up with three categories slow ("langsam"), medium ("mittel"), fast ("schnell"). Who cares, If a card writes at 14.1 or 16.7?

I personally want a card in category "fast", with 16+ GB storage space and the lowest price. Nothing else or more complicated. And I don't care about computer use speed or future uses. By then there'll be much faster cards with more space for half the price anyway.

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 06:54 AM.
01-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those rankings look very much like tests that were done in 2009 that have been cited here many times. Tom's has a new (March 2011) review of the UHS cards. The random read rates favor the Kingston cards by a LOT, however when you get into numbers related to sustained reading and, most importantly, writing the SanDisk's consistently exceed the performance of all the other cards. Oddly the Kingston cards that are so blazingly fast on the random read tests are incredibly slow by comparison on the write side of the equation. This illustrates why knowing specific performance is important, because on first blush the Kingston cards look amazing but closer inspection says that they will actually slow down your work process in taking pictures with the K5 over many other less expensive cards.

Benchmark Results: Random Read/Write : 10 SDXC/SDHC Memory Cards, Rounded Up And Benchmarked

Writing to the disk is the main measure for SD cards in the camera, its the bottle neck for getting pictures from the sensor to the memory. Since the K5 can write at about 18mb/s cards that are able to meet that standard will maximize the K5's performance without costing you an excessive amount. Among the current cards that still means the SanDisk Extreme III Class 10 cards. The UHS cards are way faster but your camera can't take advantage of that and the cards cost considerably more.

On the reading side - yes, faster cards will allow you to download from your SD card to your computer faster but really only if you have a USB 3.0 reader. If your computer is newer it can probably accept a USB 3.0 card as an add on to the computer. I've added them to both the newer desktops we have and they are working flawlessly. The download speeds are roughly 2x as fast from my experience with my SD cards downloading RAW files.
03-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #24
Veteran Member

So, If I am not wrong, the only reliable test with K5 (because only here lies my interests) was done in german forum and says that real K5 writting capabalities are around 20 MB/s - correct?
03-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #25
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Belcik Quote
So, If I am not wrong, the only reliable test with K5 (because only here lies my interests) was done in german forum and says that real K5 writting capabalities are around 20 MB/s - correct?
Well I think it is under 20 MB/s and there is also some testingresults here on the forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
So today my card came in and it is the same speed as my classe 10 PQ1 card and maxes out at some 18 MB/s.

Did a test with RAW files (iso5000 and 1/400th):
- in 15 seconds it took 32 RAW and the light went out after 30 seconds. -> about 18 MB/s
- in 60 seconds it took 67 RAW and the light went out after 31 seconds. -> same speed.
- The difference in file size has to be written away in the 45 seconds time diffenrence since both sessions ending with a full buffer (with some margin) -> 35 files of a litle over 24MB each giving a writespeed of 18,7 MB/s

Also did a RAW+ test and that gave out some 18 MB/s.

So maybe that is the max speed for the system in total.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 03-09-2012 at 12:51 PM.
03-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Got very similiar feeling from other resources. So possibly there is no point in buying +45MB/s (taking into account operations with computer).
03-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Well, the speed is about there as I don't get the hour glass when I view the photos on the LCD. I don't shoot videos on the K5 though.
But that's about viewing the photos and i was talking about the frame rate and the amount of photos you can take before the buffer is slow, so the actually speed during shooting.
03-10-2012, 06:43 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well I think it is under 20 MB/s and there is also some testingresults here on the forum.
But the camera isn't constantly writing, it writes per photo.
And the times you're quating also including shutter actuations and processing times of the processor.
So the speed is most likely a bit more then 20Mb/s
03-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
But the camera isn't constantly writing, it writes per photo.
And the times you're quating also including shutter actuations and processing times of the processor.
So the speed is most likely a bit more then 20Mb/s
There is some pieking in writespeed, but overal we are stuck with a lower average writespeed that slows down the whole process and ending up with a full buffer and a slow framerate after full buffer.
03-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The next pentax camera will support UHS1 no doubt so i am only adding those to my collection from now on. But there is no point currently.