Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
$63 Battery Grip for K-5

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone have experience with the $63 Battery Grip selling on eBay for $62.98?
See BATTERY GRIP FOR PENTAX K-7 K7 K5 K-5 D-BG4 +2x D-Li90 | eBay

01-04-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's basically a non-weather-sealed copy of the OEM grip. Here are some reviews:
D-BG4 K7 Battery Grip (Generic) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
that looks like the one i bought and so far so good, no issues. mine said "weather sealed" on the box but i opened it up and found no sealing of any kind, buyer beware. All in all, a great value and mine has never left the camera.
01-04-2012, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I bought one of these about 1.5 years ago and have used it on many occasions. No problems to report or gripe about and it has always functioned as normal. I will repeat what I have said in the past, I have never made a point of standing in the rain or arctic circle with any of my gear, regardless that my body is weather sealed (none of my lenses are) , so if this grip isn't weather sealed, I couldn't care less...not to mention that a non-weather sealed grip would be the least of my worries even in a driving rain.

I recommend this grip and still think Pentax charges an obscene amount, considering what it is. If I was an outdoor only, adventure photographer, I may think otherwise, but I am not and I dont. 99% of those who shoot in real-life situations shouldn't be either.

Jason

01-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMO the Pentax battery grip is well built and complements the well built camera perfectly. The cheaper knockoff grip is less well built, uses inferior plastics in construction, and has mushy dials and buttons. Over time, the words faded off and the plastic finish wore down and became shiny.

It'll work fine on the K-5 and do its job, but I felt that it really cheapened the look and feel of the K-5. Also, the battery door release twist lever on mine broke after a few months and felt flimsy every single time I used it.

In the end, I went ahead and paid the $199 for the original grip, which is expensive for sure, but I couldn't be happier. It's kinda like the difference between the Limited lenses and a plasticky prime lens which almost does the job the same minus some performance and the physical feel in use.