Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash for K5

Just wondering what a good flash for the K5 would be? I heard earlier about problems with flashes overexposing.

01-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
JVi

Here it is.
01-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Out of curiosity, where did you hear that flashes overexpose on the k-5?
01-05-2012, 05:02 AM   #4

Here is a very good website for Pentax compatible flashes: The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

01-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Out of curiosity, where did you hear that flashes overexpose on the k-5?
I have had my Metz 58 AF-2 for about 5 weeks and learned right away that I have to drop it down -2/3 EV for just about all the lenses I have. Strange, it doesn't bother me, I guess it's the thought of the flash being "too powerful."
01-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Frankly, now that I have had the K5 for a few months, P-TTL may be a reason to keep the K20d in service. With the K20d, wireless P-TTL triggered by the on board flash worked without worry. It was actually more accurate than with the flash on the shoe, not to mention the advantages of light from two angles. However, as I posted in another part of the forum, I find the K5 to have the least reliable wireless flash of any Pentax camera I've used, including film models with wireless TTL. For no apparent reason, the AF540FGZ will stop firing in response to the onboard flash of the K5 no matter how fresh the batteries or what the angle. I've had this happen now on three shoots. The accuracy is also erratic--perfect on one shot and way under or over on another. I love the K5 for work without a flash, or with studio flash, but the K20d blows it away for wireless P-TTL.
01-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For my 2 cents, I just received my Metz 50 and have started getting comfortable with what it can do. Generally, I love it! It may not be as powerful or fully featured as its bigger brother, but for $200 it was by far the best overall for my needs. I am adding a Rogue small Flashbender to soften things further and allow a bit more creativity and will do a review of this when I have had enough time with the combination. But having used other bounce cards before, I expect that the combination of the Metz 50 and Rogue at ~$235 total will be a great combination that allows a lot more flexibility and still costs less than going to the Metz 58 without a quality bounce card. For my needs and budget, this is a better route than spending more on a few more features that I will rarely use, if at all.

M