Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Read my review of Feisol Tournament tripod and Markins ballhead. The combination is lighweight and relatively compact.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/749050-post30.html
I've the same legs, but I use it with RRS BH-30 head. They are great, especially the new version with the anti-rotation feature. It's a very light combo and easy to take everywhere. For me that's the most important thing, since it means I will not leave it behind.
Like noted in the review, it's easily effected by strong winds, but that's an issue with all light tripods. Since I've ordered my tripod with long spikes, I can skewer it to a lot of surfaces like sand and grass and it helps a lot.

From my experience hanging my massaging bag from the hook made the vibrations worse, but maybe I shouldn't have extended the 4th leg section. I will try that in the future. So far it's a very pleasant to use and I highly recommend it.

01-05-2012, 09:31 PM   #17
Pentaxian

ramiot: did you get the center post with your Feisol? How is it for height?
01-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Well, I've definitely got some interesting new options to consider! Thanks everyone for your input - much appreciated.
01-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
ramiot: did you get the center post with your Feisol? How is it for height?
Hello, No I did not take the center post option as I feel that for birding it is better with no post.

derekkite ""How does the ball head work with a large lens? Is it floppy when you loosen the ball? I am considering either a solid ball head as you suggest or a gimbal.""

This what I liked about a strong PhotoClam Ball head, I added the Sidekick for when I use the 600mm or 300mm but use only the Ball head when doing landscape or macro... Thanks

Robert

01-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I would not call a Feisol head excellent what would you call a RRS or Arca head then - extraterrestrial?
I would say they might be somewhat better, or they might not be, but one is certainly well into the law of diminishing returns at that point. I compared the Feisol CB50-D head to a RRS head of similar size and weight rating (Sorry, I don't know the model, it was on a friends tripod, not in a store, probably the BH-30). The Feisol head didn't take a back seat to the RSS head.
The Feisol head locks solidly under my 60-250, there is no sagging, the tensioning on the head to keep it from creeping when the lock is released is excellent and the head movement is smooth and not notchy. I'm not sure what an RRS or Arca is going to offer over and above this, but at twice the price, it had better make Cappuccinos.
01-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ramiot Quote
Hello, No I did not take the center post option as I feel that for birding it is better with no post.

derekkite ""How does the ball head work with a large lens? Is it floppy when you loosen the ball? I am considering either a solid ball head as you suggest or a gimbal.""

This what I liked about a strong PhotoClam Ball head, I added the Sidekick for when I use the 600mm or 300mm but use only the Ball head when doing landscape or macro... Thanks

Robert
I also don't have the center post (I've got the same 3471 legs). I'm 5'11" - at full height with my small photoclam ballhead (pc-33ns) I have to raise my head slightly - it is manageable, but almost too tall! that is with the K-5, no grip. On my jobu jr gimbal it slightly taller than that, though using it pointed up for birds will make it a good fit.

If you got a larger head like Ramiot's 48ns (48mm ball vs my 33mm ball) I'm sure the sidekick would work well - with my smaller head I wouldn't have trusted it with the weight of my 300/2.8 tamron.

Edit: in general response to ballhead flop, the better heads from photoclam, rrs, markins (and the 2 feisol heads from what Wheatfield indicated) all have friction control, this allows you to 'mark' a minimum tension/tightness so that you can move the camera around with some force (not much, the strength of a light push from one hand, usually upto about a 30 degree pitch from level depending on the total weight and centeredness of the weight), but the camera will otherwise be held in place when not being moved...all without changing the tension setting. cheaper ball heads are either locked down or completely loose.
01-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:49 AM.
01-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had never heard of sirui until your post beholder3... they look decent and waaay cheaper...

I have a feisol 3402 legs and I did buy the center column... However, I don't really use it anymore. I have the grip for the k5, and mounted up on an L plate, the whole thing is probably an inch or two short of my eye. I'm 5'9"

01-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Thanks for this. I had pretty much settled on the Feisol legs. Sounds like they are satisfactory. As for a head, I really wasn't sure. The only ball heads I've handled are the cheaper ones in the local camera shop which would be pretty useless for my use. I was tending towards the Jobu Jr gimbal, but I see that a good ball head with the sidekick would be useful. I'm running out of storage space for all my bad ideas.
01-07-2012, 03:58 AM   #25
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:49 AM.