Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 01:18 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My k5 frozen several times.
Took off batt, turn on, off, insert batt, turn on - work after that, but make you look stupid in front of the clients.

My worst moment is after shooting a wedding, fill up a card of 32G, took card out, and insert a new card.
During the break, I checked the previous card but cannot read anything - card error.
After 10 min, pushing the card in-out and retry, the cam recognized the card, and transfer went ok.
Still have nightmare from this moment.

01-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Interesting thread. I also had a similar thing happen when taking a group photo over the holidays. I wanted to be in the photo, so I used a remote that plugs into the socket. It worked fine until I turned to the setting for multiple frames per second. It took a couple of frames, then locked up until the battery was removed.
01-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks for the feedback everyone.
i do want to clarify about using the cable release remote, the first time the camera locked up happened to be while using the remote, after shooting a good 100+ long exposure pics earlier that evening with the remote and no issues at all.

The next dozen times it happened was yesterday without the remote installed and the 2-sec timer engaged.
fwiw, i dont believe the remote is involved at all in the issue but anything is possible.
01-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
thanks for the feedback everyone.
i do want to clarify about using the cable release remote, the first time the camera locked up happened to be while using the remote, after shooting a good 100+ long exposure pics earlier that evening with the remote and no issues at all.

The next dozen times it happened was yesterday without the remote installed and the 2-sec timer engaged.
fwiw, i dont believe the remote is involved at all in the issue but anything is possible.
Mike,
It was just a thought. Sorry about your troubles.
-Robert

01-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #20

I get my K-5 today via UPS, and if this happens to my cam, then some heads are going to roll.
01-07-2012, 06:10 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zane Quote
I get my K-5 today via UPS, and if this happens to my cam, then some heads are going to roll.
And how may I ask? It is an intermittent problem that has been reported and it does not happen to all of us with the K5.
01-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
And how may I ask? It is an intermittent problem that has been reported and it does not happen to all of us with the K5.
I was relatively early adopter who was counting his blessings for getting a stain-free trouble free K5 that operated perfectly for 10 months until about the 22K shutter count. Then intermittent lockups started happening which then became semi-regular with no discernable pattern. Sent in for repair but problems have since reappeared along with some new variations and has now been returned for a re-exam. I'm not a K5 doomsayer, I love the camera enough to have bought a second one which currently works without any issues. But I think anyone buying a K5 who doesn't opt for the inexpensive 3 year extended warranty is nuts. Definitely a case of better to have and not need than need and not have. As they say about stock funds, past performance does not guarantee future results.

03-31-2012, 05:46 AM   #23

K-5 Lockup and Pentax repair

My K-5 is at repair for the second time for similar reasons. Sometimes it locks up with a blank screen and other times, it reads "battery depleted" yet shows a full or almost full battery in the top view. It may work the next time I turn it on, or it may not. With my K20D, when this happens, I remove and replace the battery and it works, but it doesn't fix the problem with the K-5. The first time I sent my K-5 to repair, it came back and I clicked three times and it happened again. After a couple days, it worked again... same battery and I clicked hundreds of shots throughout the day before it did it again. I sent it for repair again and called after a couple weeks and they told me they would have it back to me ASAP. I called again after over another week and they say they are waiting for a response from Pentax Japan, because they do not know how to fix it. They still have it. Replacing the circuit board didn't work. It's very frustrating. While I love my Pentax cameras when they're working, I doubt that I will ever purchase another Pentax again, due to the frustration level and losing work while my camera is in repair.
03-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
hat's it...I had once experienced that when I handed it over to another person to take a photo for me using live view and she also zoomed in for focus... when the shutter lock-up; the LCD screen was still on - everything is locked until I remove the battery. Since I don't normally use live view to focus...so perhaps this is indeed a bug that needs to be fixed.
There was a bug in the firmware that caused lockups in LV, in LL situations, when you pressed the green button. This was fixed in firmware v1.12. Perhaps the user you handed the camera to pressed the green button by mistake.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/167780-using-m-lens-lv-k-5-a.html

Dan.
03-31-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
There was a bug in the firmware that caused lockups in LV, in LL situations, when you pressed the green button. This was fixed in firmware v1.12. Perhaps the user you handed the camera to pressed the green button by mistake.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/167780-using-m-lens-lv-k-5-a.html

Dan.
Sending a camera in for "repair" when 3-4 iterations of firmware have come and gone and not been upgraded to, seems wrong to me somehow... Just sayin'
04-01-2012, 12:14 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rjpinaz Quote
Mike,
I had the same exact thing happen with my K-5 a month after I purchased it. I was using it all day and had taken at least 150 shots. Near the end of the day I turned it on and had the same problem you described in the original post. Turning off the camera had no effect! I removed the battery and let it sit for about 1 minute. I then put the same battery back in, and it powered up normally and conituned to work fine after that.
Fortunately, this is the only issue I have had so far with the K-5. At the time I was using firmware v1.03 and it had a shutter count of 1050.
Good Luck.

Ray

edit: I should mention that I was NOT using Live View at the time of the lockup or at any time that day.
Hi,
Interesting, word for word this is exactly what happened to my K-5 in Jan. this year. I turned the cam off and put it on the desk and promptly forgot about it. After about six or seven hours I came back to it and the first thing I noticed, the camera was quite hot. Took out the batteries (am using Pentax Grip), let the cam cool down and put fresh batteries in. Everything works properly since. Took the camera to C R Kennedy but after some 2 weeks they could not find anything wrong. Camera works faultlessly ever since. I am buggered if I know what was the matter with it.

Greetings
07-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I bought a 3rd K-5 almost two weeks ago after selling my original 2. I've had numerous lock-ups whereas it only happened about 2x with the previous ones in a whole year. It seems to be related to Drive Mode. I'm not sure if just running the camera in Single Shot mode will make it happen either as I need to run it for awhile to find out. It does seem to be related to teh power level of the battery as well. This morning my grip batteries were pretty drained and the camera didn't switch over to the one in the body and just locked up. I updated my FW immediately I had a fully charged battery so that's not the issue. If it happens with the battery in teh body and without a grip attached then I may as well just use the one battery in the grip as it's easier to remove.