Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Naming Convention

Can someone explain to me why the K-5 uses the bizarre convention of chopping off a digit depending on the colour space (isn't it embedded in EXIF anyhow)?
Is there a workaround?

If I use sRGB I'm entitled to XXXX####.jpg, where # is determined by the camera and X by me;
if I use adobe RGB I get _XXX####.jpg, I am forced to get the first digit a '_'.

I intend to use adobe and don't like the annoying _12K####.jpg (12 being the year).

I would be happy to either reverse the two formats so I get the full characters on adobe RGB, or settle for a work around that chops off the lead '_'.

There seems to be nothing in firmware or other threads that doesn't involve using a batch renamer.
I'm looking for an in-camera solution I'm missing.

Thanks in advance.

01-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No, there is no in-camera fix, not without hacking the firmware, and good luck with that. I use a script to rename and move image files from all my various digicams to the appropriate disc folders. Thus the factory-imposed naming conventions don't bother me. But if you're looking for a simple solution, you are out of luck. Write to Pentax. Complain. And good luck with that too.
01-06-2012, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree that this can be annoying!

During the last long trip I did (4 weeks Argentina in November) I actually found that the prefixes alternated! It's possible that I accidentally changed the color space in the menu, though I doubt it? Even so, it's strange since the prefix returned to the expected one after one series of shots... Though on second though this may be because this setting is not saved and switching off/on returns to the default? Or perhaps one of my user modes is set up incompletely. Should check this...

Anyway, this wouldn't worry me normally, but it's annoying that I cannot conveniently sort these images on file name now. Sorting on date could be a solution, but that throws the panoramas and HDR images I made to the end of the series. Annoying, since I normally work around this by using the name of the first original image used to generate the pano/HDR as a prefix for the pano/HDR file... and as such using file name as an ordering criterium to keep my files organized.

So... yes, I would also prefer not to have different prefixes for different color space. If only to get around this bug or user error (still not sure what actually happened to make the prefix change).

Wim
01-06-2012, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just live with it. on my K10D I renamed all the files because they did not allow for custom names and I need to identify the files as i was using multiple bodies.

I import form each camera, into its own directory and use batch rename to rename with the prefix i want for each camera.

starting with the K7 and now K5, I just live with it and use batch rename only to deal with the 4 digit counter rollover