Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,345
K-5 Debug Mode now accessible

Hello,

I just wanted to mention one thing which is public but not widely recognized:

On older models you could enter the camera's debug mode with the help of some text files on the sd card - if you knew the right filename and some other commands as well.

The activation sequence and filename for the K-5 up until today was never found out as far as I know.

Nevertheless a very nice guy who programmed a tethering software now added a button "Camera debug mode on" to his software and it does work on the K-5!

You can find the software here: PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
It works only with the newest Version 0.6.

Naturally doing this is for the not risk averse people (might do all sort of damaging things to your camera) as it's not meant to be done by users, but...

01-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member
Philoslothical's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,723
Nice. I've been wondering if PKTether would be able to access the long elusive K-r debug mode as well, but haven't had time to try it yet. Will have to test soon, this could be big news for people having tungsten issues.
01-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #3
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paradise, NL
Photos: Albums
Posts: 106
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
... this could be big news for people having tungsten issues.
I was thinking the same thing....you may be able to adjust further than the 10....

I'm going to try this when I get home tonight...

AB
01-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,345
Original Poster
On a K-5 the adjustment goes from -120 to +120 micrometers. That is four more steps than in the normal -10 to +10 menu.

01-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
Senior Member
xfloggingkylex's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Frederick, MD USA
Posts: 111
Oh wow, very cool software. Thanks for pointing it out.
01-06-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
How does it work? I am interested because I am suffering of front focus and I don't have enough with -10.
Thank you
01-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
Dionisis_K's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Athens - Greece
Photos: Albums
Posts: 249
Does the debug mode includes a setting to adjust the level???
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
Once you click on the debug mode on, what's next? I don't want to mess up my camera more than it is without knowing the steps.
Thank you

01-06-2012, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
I look forward to playing with this....as soon as a couple members post that nothing burst into flames.
01-06-2012, 03:01 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,345
Original Poster
Once turned on via the PC software you find a "Test mode" tab (only this) between the "screwdriver" tab and the "C" tab in the menu (it is there when you go there, it's not actually visible as a small tab while you're still on another tab). Obviously you need to press the "menu" button first to see anything.

As far as I can see the only useful item there is is the AF adjustment, nothing to tune the level.
See the descirptions for older cameras for an idea: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment

For the AF adjustement I guess it's smart to write down all the adjustements one has done, since they seem to be relative and the camera doesnt show the absolute result. So if you play around and adjust -50 now and -120 tomorrow the camera is at -170 but the next time you turn it on it starts at "0". So if you ever decide to go back to where you started you want to know how much much you fiddled around with it in total.

Last edited by beholder3; 01-06-2012 at 03:10 PM.
01-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Once turned on via the PC software you find a "Test mode" tab (only this) between the "screwdriver" tab and the "C" tab in the menu (it is there when you go there, it's not actually visible as a small tab while you're still on another tab). Obviously you need to press the "menu" button first to see anything.

As far as I can see the only useful item there is is the AF adjustment, nothing to tune the level.
See the descirptions for older cameras for an idea: RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K-x Debug Mode Tutorial - AF Adjustment

For the AF adjustement I guess it's smart to write down all the adjustements one has done, since they seem to be relative and the camera doesnt show the absolute result. So if you play around and adjust -50 now and -120 tomorrow the camera is at -170 but the next time you turn it on it starts at "0". So if you ever decide to go back to where you started you want to know how much much you fiddled around with it in total.
Beholder thank you for your answer and one question, how is related the number you modify there with the number of the fine tunning, I mean how much is every step of the fine tunning? I ask this because I think I would need near a -12 or something like that and I don't know how much I should put in the Debug mode.
Thank you

Last edited by simo3o; 01-07-2012 at 02:41 AM.
01-07-2012, 04:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,345
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simo3o Quote
Beholder thank you for your answer and one question, how is related the number you modify there with the number of the fine tunning, I mean how much is every step of the fine tunning? I ask this because I think I would need near a -12 or something like that and I don't know how much I should put in the Debug mode.
Thank you
Neither do I. I only own a single lens which needs a -10 adjustment in the normal user menu and that is enough then, so I don't actually have to use that. That could best be ansered by someone who has done it either on a K-5 or another model where this was possible for a longer time.
I guess it boils down to testing it out with a focus test chart.
01-07-2012, 04:11 AM   #13
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Neither do I. I only own a single lens which needs a -10 adjustment in the normal user menu and that is enough then, so I don't actually have to use that. That could best be ansered by someone who has done it either on a K-5 or another model where this was possible for a longer time.
I guess it boils down to testing it out with a focus test chart.
Thank you for your reply, I'll try to find an answer and fix my camera, I'll put the resolution here.
01-07-2012, 04:54 AM   #14
Senior Member
Dionisis_K's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Athens - Greece
Photos: Albums
Posts: 249
I tryed it too,and i can confirm it is safe.. But i was very disapponted that there is no level readjustment..
01-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 205
no confirmation that this works on the K-r yet? If i still had my K-r, I would immediately try this.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, debug, dslr, filename, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, mode, pentax k-5, software
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
k-7 debug mode - how to enter Nass Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 01-17-2015 04:56 PM
Pentax k-5 Debug mode eigelb Pentax K-5 38 06-09-2014 01:58 AM
K 10 stuck on debug mode graveyardeyes Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 08-15-2011 12:09 PM
Debug Mode a johnson Pentax DSLR Discussion 7 08-15-2011 07:17 AM
K-x debug mode w/pics please mlatour Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 01-26-2011 11:26 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:49 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top