Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Continuous shooting with the remote

I came across something today that I hadn't noticed before - I had my K-5 set in continuous mode (shooting birds at a feeder) and was using the Pentax remote control. The shutter fired at the "Hi" rate, even though I had set it on "Lo". Both rates work as expected if I just use the shutter button, but if I use the remote it'll only fire at the "Hi" rate. The user's manual doesn't mention this one way or the other. Not sure it makes that much difference to me, but if this isn't normal I'd like to get it looked at while the camera's still under warranty. Anybody else seen this?

01-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe you are misunderstanding continuous mode. In continuous mode, the mirror is locked up and the shutter will fire "continuously", i.e., it will fire one frame after the other with as short a delay between frames as possible. The only control you have is how long of an exposure you want for each frame. When I do astrophotographic timelapse sequences, I set it up in continuous mode with 8 second exposures. After an 8 second frame, it is only a fraction of second before the next one starts. There is no control of the interval between frames in continuous mode.

Jack
01-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dshombert Quote
I came across something today that I hadn't noticed before - I had my K-5 set in continuous mode (shooting birds at a feeder) and was using the Pentax remote control. The shutter fired at the "Hi" rate, even though I had set it on "Lo". Both rates work as expected if I just use the shutter button, but if I use the remote it'll only fire at the "Hi" rate. The user's manual doesn't mention this one way or the other. Not sure it makes that much difference to me, but if this isn't normal I'd like to get it looked at while the camera's still under warranty. Anybody else seen this?
Well there is only one setting for continuous shooting with the remote control. You can set the function of the remote different in the menu. For wich you can read the manual.

I don't understand why anyone would even think about bringing in a camera about a function he is not even using in real life.
01-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
=

I don't understand why anyone would even think about bringing in a camera about a function he is not even using in real life.
Well, actually, I was using it in real life. Just because it's the first time I noticed this doesn't mean I'm never going to want to use it again. And I'm pretty sure that most people, if they knew their camera was malfunctioning in some way, would want to get it fixed under warranty.

Jack - I guess you're right, I misunderstood the continuous mode that one gets via the remote. I had assumed that it was the same as the "continuous shooting" mode that one selects via the four-way controller, as described on p. 151 of the user's manual. Partly, that confusion arose from the fact that, on p. 152, in the grey-box "memo" section, it states that one "can also use the remote control for continuous shooting". That made me think that I'd be using the remote control to operate whichever continuous shooting mode I'd selected with the controller. But your explanation makes sense, thanks for a helpful response.

Dave

Last edited by dshombert; 01-06-2012 at 08:59 PM.
01-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dshombert Quote
Anybody else seen this?
Not when using a wired remote, both Hi and Lo rates are functional in that mode. If you set up the camera for wireless continuous shooting then it seems to only do Hi. ( this is with Sony wireless remote so the operation is little wonky sometimes).

Cheers.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-07-2012 at 08:32 AM.
01-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the mode myself quite a bit in real life for taking some of my hummingbird shots.