Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #1

Battery Grip, how does power calculate?

I have a cheap $50 "professional" battery grip on my K5.

The shutter button, green & AF, wheel all works well, except I have a little question about the battery.

I put in 6 fully charged AA battery, and the top panel screen of the camera shows that I have 1/3 battery left.

I already went to the "select battery" option and chose "grip first".
Also in that option panel shows my camera has 1/3 battery, but grip has no battery.

What is the problem here?
Is the battery slot broken?

01-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More than likely it's the aftermarket grip. I had the same problem with a chinese grip for my k10. I could shoot all day with a "dead battery". I lucked out and found a cheap Pentax grip on Ebay, and never had any inaccuracy since.

Matt
Pentexan
01-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #3

Original Poster
so i guess it is basically a "you pay for what you get" issue.

just took out the original battery in the camera and use only the AA in the grip.
somehow it does power up, but won't last more than 2 minutes before battery alert pops up and shut off :/
01-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The battery meter on the top shows the power available in the active battery- you need to open up the menu if you want to see both batteries.

If the battery in my grip is almost flat, the top lcd will display 1/3 even if the internal batt is fully charged. Then, once there's absolutely no juice left in the grip, it should switch over to the main battery.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telly0050 Quote
won't last more than 2 minutes before battery alert pops up and shut off :/
You may actually have a different issue than I did, bc my camera wouldn't shut off; it would just display a "depleted battery" while I kept on shooting. Seems like your camera may not like the grip or the grip itself is draining the battery
01-08-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The battery meter on the top shows the power available in the active battery- you need to open up the menu if you want to see both batteries.

If the battery in my grip is almost flat, the top lcd will display 1/3 even if the internal batt is fully charged. Then, once there's absolutely no juice left in the grip, it should switch over to the main battery.
thanks for this info Adam...this had confused me when i first got the grip.
01-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #7

Original Poster
problem defined.

when i use the battery tray instead of AA tray on the grip, the battery display full on the camera even the camera itself doesn't has battery.
so looks like my AA tray is broken or something :/
01-14-2012, 01:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

problem defined.

when i use the battery tray instead of AA tray on the grip, the battery display full on the camera even the camera itself doesn't has battery.
so looks like my AA tray is broken or something :/
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you made certain that each AA battery is both completely seated and inserted in the correct direction?

01-14-2012, 03:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Have you made certain that each AA battery is both completely seated and inserted in the correct direction?
yes i did, i even try different sets of AA, still no help :/
im gonna get a cheap set of battery from ebay and juz stuck it in the grip
01-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

yes i did, i even try different sets of AA, still no help :/
im gonna get a cheap set of battery from ebay and juz stuck it in the grip
One last thought - have you cleaned the contacts both those to the batteries themselves and those from the tray to the grip?
01-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
One last thought - have you cleaned the contacts both those to the batteries themselves and those from the tray to the grip?
didn't try it.
but the AA power actually goes through the camera, it just shows battery dying..
01-18-2012, 03:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I assume that your grip will also accept the standard Pentax battery - what does the grip show when inserting this battery in the grip. Full charge? or 1/3 charge. First case: trouble is cause by AA batteries in the grip (could be caused by grip or batteries). Second case: it all about the grip.
01-18-2012, 03:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I believe the moral of the story is.... you get what you pay for.

I refuse to buy cheap Chinese knock-offs, regardless of the product. You will get no support from the "company" that made them and they are very likely not performing anywhere close to "the real thing".

Save your money and buy the real Pentax grip if that is what you want/need, and stay away from cheap Chinese crap. Note, I am not insinuating that everything made in China is crap, far from it. Legitimate, quality manufacturing can be done there. But knock-offs are NOT manufactured by quality-minded companies. It is mass produced junk.
01-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #14

Original Poster
actually the grip works perfectly fine except the AA problem.
standard battery works on the grip, i have the standard battery on the grip (camera battery slot is empty).
i guess buying a cheap standard battery will fit my need.