Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Way too much stuff

I wish they would build a high quality digital camera like the K5 that does not have sooo many options and settings. After reading through the manual I am rethinking whether I want a new digital camera. I love my old ME Super and 6x7 but want to go digital. I would use the K5 with all my great old lenses and probably not buy any of the new ones. It seems to me overkill on all the capabilities these cameras have incorporated. Just like new cell phones (which I don't own). Maybe I'm just too set in my ways being 66 years old.

01-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well at least it's got enough buttons so you don't need to go into the menus to change basic settings

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well....just because they are there doesn't mean you have to use them all I don't really use any of the filters, HDR, or in camera RAW processing, but that by no means affects how the K5 performs as a camera. I usually just keep mine in manual or aperture priority and enjoy the high ISO performance.

I agree that new tech is adding way to many bells and whistles...but as long as my camera takes good photos and my phone makes phone calls, I am pretty happy.
01-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The new Fujifilm X-Pro1 will be for you. Don't forget to take medicine b4 asking the prices though.

01-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Manual Mode, AV mode, Green button on manual lenses, and bracket shots/timer/remote control are all I use.

Of course, this doesn't cover the amount of post processing I do afterwards but.. that's a difference story.
01-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I kind of felt and thought the same way. The amount of features is quite ridiculous and seems as if the K5 was designed for the gizmo brigade,
rather than photographers. Its worth bearing in mind though, that just because they are there, you dont have to use them.
I basicly forget that it has features such as video built in etc. Ive seriously not even tried it. Although when you start going through all the menu options
you start to feel its like a childs toy. They are at the end of the day optional though, and you cant take away the fact its a fantastic performer in its own right.
At the end of the day, you just use it as you wish as I do.
01-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Well...

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
I wish they would build a high quality digital camera like the K5 that does not have sooo many options and settings. After reading through the manual I am rethinking whether I want a new digital camera. I love my old ME Super and 6x7 but want to go digital. I would use the K5 with all my great old lenses and probably not buy any of the new ones. It seems to me overkill on all the capabilities these cameras have incorporated. Just like new cell phones (which I don't own). Maybe I'm just too set in my ways being 66 years old.
...Sure the K-5 has a lot of options, but you don't need to use them. You can pretty much shut everything down, shoot RAW, (and manual focus if you want) and take advantage of the K-5's low light and dynamic range capabilities. Then develop your shots using PP if you want to muck with the images.

The one thing that I found is that while many people want perfect jpgs out of the camera, it is easier to refine your techniques shooting RAW. You will undoubtedly get better jpgs out of the camera if you master correct RAW techniques. Also when developing RAW images you can look at your PP settings and see how you can get the camera to mimic them when shooting jpgs. It is just a different way of going about trial and error, but easier than trying to go trial and error with jpgs from the camera. At least this is what I have found.

I agree with you. There are a lot of features on the camera that will impact the jpg output and it is difficult to be scientific about how to use them. Shooting RAW gives me an easier way to go about it.

Last edited by lammie200; 01-10-2012 at 09:41 AM.
01-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well...

oops. double post

01-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One thing to keep in mind is that many of the settings are old variables from the film cameras. Things like HDR, filters and and different kinds of processing are simply a darkroom fitted into the camera. These aren't new things, they are what we got instead of the darkroom for people who don't do the processing in a computer (the other alternative to the darkroom).
01-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny, I was thinking about this very subject yesterday as I was looking over the specs and controls of the new Nikon D4. When is it too many too much?

Well, while I learned every bit of my K10d, K20d, and K100ds, I've been taking my time with the K5 exploring it step by step. That's after 9 months of ownership. I mean I got the basics of exposure controls all down but a lot of the menu bells and whistles that I don't use can wait. The basic point here is that with the K5 generally when you want to do something special or extra it's a short trip to the manual to find that oh, that's how you do that. For the OP here, just take your time with it and learn the controls for exposure and leave a lot of that other stuff for later.
01-09-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Maybe I *do* need a K5. My K20D just hasn't enough controls nor options.
01-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I stay with M and Av on my K5/K20.

Eh, too many modes... my head hurts.
01-09-2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Den
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks gang. I appreciate the feedback. I used to have a darkroom and did everything from B&W, Color negs, Slides and Cibachrom. Glad the digital stuff has come to fruition. So now I feel less overwhelmed about my future purchase of a K5. Geez, they're down to $949.00 at one place and $969.00 at a couple more. My wife is gonna kill me.
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #14

I hear ya. I recently shot film for the first time on my dad's old AE-1 Canon and I love how simple it is. Makes me think I'd really like a Leica....$$$$$
01-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
Geez, they're down to $949.00 at one place and $969.00 at a couple more. My wife is gonna kill me.
My Pentax career has been a real roller coaster as we have battled medical bills with my wife's uncertain health. I get some good stuff , then sell and retrench (usually with the excellent k200d!) until things seem to be better - then do it again . This time she said to grab a discounted deal while I can, and hold on to it; the K-5, 18-55wr and 35/2.4 arrived today.

My wife is a gem!
Hopefully yours is too, after an hour or so Take lots of images of her smiling, that might help..