Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
me too i dont having different brands. probably the only nikon im buying is a full frame nikon --> d3s or d4 in the future. from what ive been seeing n reading the k-5 beats the d7000 and lower models. ive held the d7000 at a store and the mag alloy body just feels plasticky. i just cant trust it getting wet, dropped or an outdoor camera. not rugged enough.

01-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
Emperor and Senpai

I got my K5 yesterday and have been having fun comparing it to my Kx. I was going to do the same as you and wait for my tax refund or to see what new model would be announced, but then I went ahead and blew most of my 2 week paycheck to get one. I am glad I did.
01-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I don't much like D7000 either as it feels like junk. I was only mentioning it as a possible start into another system. One could use an alternate brand to fill lens gaps in the Pentax system that way. A used D700 or even a D90 is another way. But it's the wrong time to buy anything from a main stream manufacturer as they're about to release the new models.

Pentax has been strangely silent this week at CES so I'm not holding my breath anymore. .. should I exhale now?
01-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I don't much like D7000 either as it feels like junk. I was only mentioning it as a possible start into another system. One could use an alternate brand to fill lens gaps in the Pentax system that way. A used D700 or even a D90 is another way. But it's the wrong time to buy anything from a main stream manufacturer as they're about to release the new models.

Pentax has been strangely silent this week at CES so I'm not holding my breath anymore. .. should I exhale now?
I will point out CES is not about imaging despite PMA trying to reinvigorate themselves by joining up. It's at best about P/S and Video Cams. CP+ in February is where the 645D was announced and is a Big Imaging show, and the really important one is Photokina in September every other year (this year in September). these 2 shows are where the really nice stuff is generally announced
the most I expected from CES would have been the KR replacement. Maybe waiting for CP+ is smart since the Fuji is commandeering all the press right now (Fuji has always been a Big CES presence with P/S)

01-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #20

I am seriously considering upgrading to a k-5, but for some stupid reason, the DA 18-135 is ridiculously expensive here in Australia and that'll be my preferred kit lens. The K-5 is going for around $1159 here (body only) or $1379 with the 18-55 WR or $1809 with the 18-135.

Should I just buy the body here and the lens from B&H?
01-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Munki Quote
I think as a last resort only buy cameras and lenses overseas. It is dead easy to get warranties and services when cameras and lenses are purchased in Aus. So far I have a K5 and my 50-135 replaced and other kit fixed in the warranty period. I use B&H almost exclusively for everything else.

I would be more inclined to buy a screw focus lens from overseas as a large number of motorised lenses have problems (all brands)
01-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
ya B&H, amazon or ebay. whichever one is cheaper is where i'll go if its me.

I am seriously considering upgrading to a k-5, but for some stupid reason, the DA 18-135 is ridiculously expensive here in Australia and that'll be my preferred kit lens. The K-5 is going for around $1159 here (body only) or $1379 with the 18-55 WR or $1809 with the 18-135.

01-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I think as a last resort only buy cameras and lenses overseas. It is dead easy to get warranties and services when cameras and lenses are purchased in Aus. So far I have a K5 and my 50-135 replaced and other kit fixed in the warranty period. I use B&H almost exclusively for everything else.

I would be more inclined to buy a screw focus lens from overseas as a large number of motorised lenses have problems (all brands)
Are you saying that your K-5 and 50-135 lens were replaced under warranty?

If so, what were the specifics? My K-5 is at CRK in Melbourne right now for repairs and I 'think' the zoom ring on my 50-135 is becoming loose.

Cheers

01-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #24

I have no qualms with buying locally, especially as it's much more convenient for warranty purposes, but the DA 18-135 is almost double the price of what it's going for on B&H...I simply can't justify that (although factoring shipping, it'll still be over $300 more expensive here)

I've bought the DA 15 from B&H mid last year, and it has been working fantastically. I just hope, if I go this route, that the DA 18-135 will also work fine.
01-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
Pentaxian

T
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
If so, what were the specifics?
My K5 had sensor stains and they did a swap. It was the first one they saw - day 2 of distribution but had to wait a couple of months for them to have stock. (only had one stain and took about 20,000 photos in Africa)
The motor on the focus of the 50-135 stopped working after a couple of days. They had a look and after a week they replaced it with a new lens.
Once was not happy with a repair for a flash (I think it was probably a second problem) so they sold me a new flash for a third or quarter of the normal price. I was happy with the outcome.
01-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I've bought the DA 15 from B&H mid last year, and it has been working fantastically. I just hope, if I go this route, that the DA 18-135 will also work fine.
I also got my DA15mm from B&H as I figured I wouldn't pay the price being asked in Aus. At half price it is worth buying the DA 18-135 from OS. I have found I can get things shipped faster from B&H than from some camera suppliers in Aus.
01-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #27
Pentaxian

T

My K5 had sensor stains and they did a swap. It was the first one they saw - day 2 of distribution but had to wait a couple of months for them to have stock. (only had one stain and took about 20,000 photos in Africa)
The motor on the focus of the 50-135 stopped working after a couple of days. They had a look and after a week they replaced it with a new lens.
Once was not happy with a repair for a flash (I think it was probably a second problem) so they sold me a new flash for a third or quarter of the normal price. I was happy with the outcome.
Thanks for the reply.
01-11-2012, 05:40 PM   #28

I also got my DA15mm from B&H as I figured I wouldn't pay the price being asked in Aus. At half price it is worth buying the DA 18-135 from OS. I have found I can get things shipped faster from B&H than from some camera suppliers in Aus.
Yeah, I might have a chat with the guys at Digital Camera Warehouse and see if they can give a better deal. $700 for the 18-135 is ridiculous.