Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
should I or wait?

hello everyone. should i use my tax return on a k-5 or wait for the next big thing from this upcoming announcement from pentax? i had made up my mind last year that ill be getting a k-5 in 2012 but then this rumors came up and the k-5 being discontinued so now i dont know. a part of me is saying get the k-5 coz its such a great camera the other part is saying hold off coz the upgrade might have k-5 ISO qualities and more..... but damn i want a new camera in my hands in a month.

01-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by varyabol Quote
hello everyone. should i use my tax return on a k-5 or wait for the next big thing from this upcoming announcement from pentax? i had made up my mind last year that ill be getting a k-5 in 2012 but then this rumors came up and the k-5 being discontinued so now i dont know. a part of me is saying get the k-5 coz its such a great camera the other part is saying hold off coz the upgrade might have k-5 ISO qualities and more..... but damn i want a new camera in my hands in a month.
even when it's discontinued it will be a great camera that doesn't change. what will change is the new model equivalent will cost more at first. buying at life end get's the best price on any tech
i doubt the iso needle will move much the rumour is the 24mp sensor (which on sony actually lowered iso performance but they are hopeless at getting the best from their sensors)
01-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm a dedicated non-first responder. The advantage of the K5 is its been sorted by a number of first responders and the kinks have largely been sorted out. I waited for 2 models before replacing my K20 with the K5 and it was worth it.

I'd say go for it due to current pricing. I bought it in Feb 2011 and i learned a lot about photography in the 11 months i've owned it. There's no way to go back and recreate the photos i would have missed by not having it.
01-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My only addition to the comments already made would be to wait a week or two and see what the CES show brings this week. If they announce a follow on camera it may impact current model pricing.

01-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I went on your profile and noticed you have a K7 and K-x on your equipment list, if you still have at least one of them you should hold off on a new camera. You dont want to be kicking yourself in the you know what in a couple months, I know I'd be and that is why I'm waiting. Enjoy what you have now.
01-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My only addition to the comments already made would be to wait a week or two and see what the CES show brings this week. If they announce a follow on camera it may impact current model pricing.
that's true. US pricing right now seems to have lagged behind the Canadian pricing as we have seen prices as low as 949 CDN. and <999 is common
US pricing seems to have held at well above that
01-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'd go for it- it's a great camera as you really can't ask for more in terms of IQ for its price

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What happens if the K5 is not replaced? shock horror and more shock. I have 3 k5s so I doubt I will need the new model.
01-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
3 k-5's??

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
What happens if the K5 is not replaced? shock horror and more shock. I have 3 k5s so I doubt I will need the new model.
01-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by varyabol Quote
3 k-5's??
hahaha

sounds a bit ocd doesn't it

I can see it though, if you shoot professionally a 2 body setup is the norm and having a backup for those would not even be unusual

edit

and have a look at his profile wonder how many of those are multiples

Spotmatic ES and II
Pentax MZ-5N
Pentax K10,20, 7 and 5
01-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

yep - 3K5s
1. One spends most of the time on the 500mm
2. the other is connected to the lens I am most likely to use
3. The third has been damaged with sugar and has a few major issues. It sill works OK for landscapes.
So all 3 are ready to go when I am travelling, stop the car and fire away.
01-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I had the K7 and now have two K5s. It is a MAJOR upgrade on the K7 and on that point alone I'd say go for it. However when you also consider the K5 is now below US$1,000 (and I doubt it can go much lower), and that a replacement for the K5 from Pentax wouldn't hit the streets until at least 6 months from now, plus it'll be over US$2,000, and nearer to US$3,000 if FF, then it becomes a no-brainer.
01-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went and did it. I have the K7 and wanted to wait for K5 replacement but the price in Singapore has gone down to SGD$1220 from $1500 and no news about a replacemet so I got it. Not so much that my K7 has 34K Shutter counts now
01-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I just went for it, and am glad I did (so far, hey it's only been 24 hours!). Secrets are hard to keep in the imaging business, and I have heard nothing imminent that would change the game for me. The K-5 is the best aps-c camera out there, with few close competitors. If you seek full frame or something smaller, or if on-camera controls or WR are not big for you, then perhaps upcoming announcements are worth the wait. Maybe the k-r successor will have a pivot screen, for example.. that's the only item I'd find interesting, but not worth losing WR for.
01-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I can definitely see a purpose for 3 bodies. I have two K-5's with one being at the Australian distributor repair shop for the last two weeks. I'm going insane with 'just' the one body as I like to carry two with a combination of lenses I think I'll be needing on the day. But with all the trouble I have been having locating certain lenses to fill out my final array I was wondering if I shouldn't just get a Nikon D7000, as a 3rd body, or a K-5 replacement selling one K-5 and a couple of lenses, as there seems to be very few non-starters in the 3rd party lens stakes with them. I'm really getting teed off with the lack of availability of certain lenses for Pentax. But I will consider selling off ALL my Pentax gear for a Nikon FF if Pentax don't make some kind of announcement soon.