Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5 to K10 comparison

Hello to all the forum - this is my first proper post so apologies if I screw things up a bit.
I am fairly new to DSLR and am currently shooting with a K10d and Sigma 120 -400 on a monopod for windsurf & kite surf shots. (See examples below)
My question is to do with the comparison of focus performance of the K5 relative to the K10d. (I realise there is many views regarding the focus system of the K5 itself but I really want to get a measure against the K10d)
My current keeper rate due to better focus has gone up with practice but I think it could improve with the purchase of a K5? Any input would be greatly appreciated –thanks in advance.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo     
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there are many things to consider, but if you want to consider just AF and focus, i think the differences will be pretty small, with respect to yoru apparent shooting conditions, which are just about ideal for any AF system. (bright sunlight and high contrast)

Where I think you will score better, is the following.

- Bumping the ISO on the K5 to get better DOF, which will increase your keeper rate as much as anything else,
- making use of the better dynamic range of the sensor, to protect highlights and boost shadow detail in post processing (if shooting RAW) or use Highlight protect and Shadow detail protect, (if shooting JPEG) the K5 sensor has much better dynamic range than the K10D which is prone to blown highlights, (based on my experience)
- boosting ISO for more shutter speed, to freeze images.

Overall, although AF performance will not greatly improve in bright sunlight, there are the above points that make the K5 a better body, and one that should produce more keepers
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It's better- they put in a new AF system in the K-5 that's more sensitive in low light and also more accurate. You can definitely tell that AF-C mode is less erratic. It's not up there with canikon, but it's better.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

I upgraded from the K10d to the K5 and the AF is definitely a big improvement. Catch-in-Focus in the K5, which the K10d did not have, also prevents most of my non keepers.

01-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
there are many things to consider, but if you want to consider just AF and focus, i think the differences will be pretty small, with respect to yoru apparent shooting conditions, which are just about ideal for any AF system. (bright sunlight and high contrast)

Where I think you will score better, is the following.

- Bumping the ISO on the K5 to get better DOF, which will increase your keeper rate as much as anything else,
- making use of the better dynamic range of the sensor, to protect highlights and boost shadow detail in post processing (if shooting RAW) or use Highlight protect and Shadow detail protect, (if shooting JPEG) the K5 sensor has much better dynamic range than the K10D which is prone to blown highlights, (based on my experience)
- boosting ISO for more shutter speed, to freeze images.

Overall, although AF performance will not greatly improve in bright sunlight, there are the above points that make the K5 a better body, and one that should produce more keepers
Thanks Lowell - yes I try for bright sunlight at the moment with the K10d because I have to push up the ISO too much otherwise to keep the lens in it's sweet spot (around f8 -f11). The dynamic range angle I hadn't thought about but thanks for bringing it up.
01-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's better- they put in a new AF system in the K-5 that's more sensitive in low light and also more accurate. You can definitely tell that AF-C mode is less erratic. It's not up there with canikon, but it's better.
Thanks Adam - If it's an improvement on the K-5 then it must help. Yes the"canikon" may be better but I also need advice and experience of people that are helpful such as on this forum. (No disrespect to the "other" camera BB's but I think this forum and camera combination is better)
01-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
I upgraded from the K10d to the K5 and the AF is definitely a big improvement. Catch-in-Focus in the K5, which the K10d did not have, also prevents most of my non keepers.
Thanks AOShep - Another point I had missed!

01-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Having the K10, K20, and K5 in my bag, I can certainly point out that for what you're doing, the K5 is a huge upgrade based on wide ISO range, Higher ISO IQ, faster shutter speed (1/8000 versus 1/4000), and 7 fps (more than double the K10's). There are other features though that you may enjoy too, such as the full HD video mode and if you're into it - in-camera photo processing (HDR and a handful of digital filters) just to mention a couple.

I for one know I can capture sequences with the K5 that were downright impossible before

01-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by George Lama Quote
Having the K10, K20, and K5 in my bag, I can certainly point out that for what you're doing, the K5 is a huge upgrade based on wide ISO range, Higher ISO IQ, faster shutter speed (1/8000 versus 1/4000), and 7 fps (more than double the K10's). There are other features though that you may enjoy too, such as the full HD video mode and if you're into it - in-camera photo processing (HDR and a handful of digital filters) just to mention a couple.

I for one know I can capture sequences with the K5 that were downright impossible before
Thanks George - Yes the faster shutter would be a bonus. Some of the speed kiters are doing over 50 knots now and getting the action when it the speed run goes "pear shaped" requires something fast. (Both shutter and iso)

Just out of interest, what sort of shutter speed did you use for the pitcher?
01-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'll be having a good comparison in a week when my daughter arrives for the Dew Tour a Killington. I shot her superpipe competition at the US Open 3 years ago with the K10D. She hasn't competed in the east since until now but I'll be there with both cameras next week. I've had the K5 for only a couple of months and most of my shots have been high ISO inside stuff. Results have been very good and I really can't wait to get some skiing shots.
01-10-2012, 11:55 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
'll be having a good comparison in a week when my daughter arrives for the Dew Tour a Killington. I shot her superpipe competition at the US Open 3 years ago with the K10D. She hasn't competed in the east since until now but I'll be there with both cameras next week. I've had the K5 for only a couple of months and most of my shots have been high ISO inside stuff. Results have been very good and I really can't wait to get some skiing shots.
Look forward to seeing those photos reeftool. If it is anything like those ice racing motorcycle shots they should be spectacular!
01-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
Catch-in-Focus in the K5, which the K10d did not have ...
The K10D does have c-i-f.
01-11-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are a number of practical improvements from the K10D to the K-5. Having owned both, I see a marked AF speed increase, high ISO performance boost (invaluable for sports photography) and interface tweaks, both physical and in software, that make the K-5 a real pleasure to use.
01-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
The K10D does have c-i-f.
Now that I haven't tried, Thanks baro-nite!

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There are a number of practical improvements from the K10D to the K-5. Having owned both, I see a marked AF speed increase, high ISO performance boost (invaluable for sports photography) and interface tweaks, both physical and in software, that make the K-5 a real pleasure to use.
Thanks for the info Ash - I will do a bit more reading since I think I have a case of ""what I didn't know I didn't know"
01-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
Look forward to seeing those photos reeftool. If it is anything like those ice racing motorcycle shots they should be spectacular!
I'm hoping. This has been a weird year for weather and my telephoto skills haven't been used much. One of my goals is to get some straight up shots of the slopestyle with both the DA 15 and DA 10-17 Fisheye but the ski patrol guys nervous sometimes and try to discourage skiers from jumping directly over people.