Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-5 LCD too bright?

Hi,

today I was taking picture of my TV (just for practice with lightning and testing the lens). On K-5 LCD I could clearly see reflection of myself in the middle of TV,as well as, whole picture looked well exposed, just what I wanted. Then I transferred picture to computer and opened it. The result was a bit different. The picture looks with more contrast (than on K-5 screen),also, i barely could see reflection of myself on TV and the whole picture looks less exposed than on K-5 screen. I opened the picture with Windows photo viewer, Office picture manager and Adobe photoshop. My monitor is not ideal however I printed lots of pictures and colors and contrast were 1:1 on paper and monitor, I never had a problem, I also checked if my monitor correctly shows Black and white levels, all are good. So I guess I should blame K-5 screen which shows more exposed picture than it really is. My old K200D with worse screen was accurate.
Any ideas?

01-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could try to decrease the brightness of the LCD if you want to punish yourself, but I guess the bottom line is if you can see the details on the LCD, they're there, and you can always strengthen or fade them via post processing. Sounds like you might need to calibrate your monitor, also.

Did you look at the histogram?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am not really good at reading histogram.

Update: Opened in Photoshop the picture looks more similar to what I see on K-5 screen, still a bit less exposed. Both other viewers renders more contrast but I knew it .already
01-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you shoot in RAW? If so, the camera processes a JPG to display on the camera LCD and that could explain the difference...

01-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no, it was Jpeg
02-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I noticed the same thing right away. My K5's screen tents to lift the shadows quite a bit compared to my computer. The difference is quite stark and you really have to keep that in mind when deciding if your exposure was ok or not.
02-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Now that I've been shooting off-camera flash in manual mode these past few weeks, I've also noticed that while shots look great on screen, they are often under-exposed according to the histogram and on-screen on my laptop.

02-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #8

Kent, you should get used to using histograms. I do not look at every shot, but the first one of a series I do. There are many websites that describe how to use them correctly, I would suggest studying them and forget trying to use the LCD to judge what your photos will look like.