Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not thrilled with my K5

I just upgraded from my K2000 (Km) to a K5 and I realize I have a lot to learn, but I've been using my DA 55-300 on it and it is definitely focusing slightly behind where I think I'm focusing. Do I have to adjust this in the camera for every lens I own? I haven't tried it yet.

And once it is adjusted, how do I let the camera know that it needs to remember that adjustment?

I *try* to read the manual but it causes brain freeze almost immediately. I'm starting to panic because next month, I'm going on a trip of a lifetime for an African safari and I don't want to be hunting down the focus the entire time. Way too stressful.

I really need a mentor.

01-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
According to thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/166463-adjusting-back-focus-k5.html

Menu - Custom - 4 - Item 26, and page 126 in the manual.
01-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you shoot RAW or JPG?

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I really need a mentor.
Do you shoot RAW or JPG?

Last edited by lammie200; 06-29-2012 at 11:26 AM.
01-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Do you shoot RAW or JPG?

Damn, double post again. Sorry.

01-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've found it in the manual already but don't know how it will "remember" the adjustment for that one lens in the future.

I mostly do not shoot RAW, but I do sometimes. Can that help with the focusing problem?
01-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

It will remember the lens.There is an option to 'apply all' or 'apply one', which will show up if you have a lens installed that has an ID. Your lens will have that.

Play with the AF points to get the feel for what it is seeing. I use a single point in the center.
01-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It will remember the lens.There is an option to 'apply all' or 'apply one', which will show up if you have a lens installed that has an ID. Your lens will have that.

Play with the AF points to get the feel for what it is seeing. I use a single point in the center.
Okay. Thanks that helps.
01-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
I mostly do not shoot RAW, but I do sometimes. Can that help with the focusing problem?
The focusing issues are best handled by the techniques in the link that JinDesu posted. I thought that you might have other issues besides the focusing issues. RAW won't really help with focusing, although there is probably more that you can do with clarity or sharpening in post production versus working with a JPG.

It might be worth your while to shoot RAW with as few camera effects as possible. That way if you can get the focusing right and the lighting slightly underexposed, you can correct any other issues in post production.

I shoot RAW with the camera set to black & white. It is easier for me to gauge the focus and exposure in black & white. Basically I shoot and get a black & white preview and a histogram on the camera LCD. Adjust and shoot again if the image or histogram look wonky. Pop the files into Photoshop and I can see the color.

I am a nut about simplifying how I use the damn thing. Don't want to be running in circles.

Last edited by lammie200; 06-29-2012 at 11:26 AM.
01-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Nice thing about the K5 is that the sensor is so good, you can quickly pick up all the other problems that may have not been as obvious in the past.
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Not sure that this came through in the previous posts but the K5 can recognize modern lenses like your 55-300 individually because of the electronics embedded in the lens that communicate with the camera. This means that you can have a dozen or more individually tailored lens adjustments for modern lenses and your camera will remember each of them separately and adjust to each of them as you change them.

Manual lenses and older non-electronics age lenses are a different story, but I didn't see you list any of those except possibly your "macros".
06-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hmm that seemed a little harsh since the other thread was a 6 months later update - but whatever, Mods rule.

Sealonsf, looking at your flickr it seems there might be a slight back focus still on your 55-300, or perhaps your k2000 was set to center focus and your K-5 is set to something else?

The dik dik looks like it is focused on the ear vs they eye, so maybe a slight back focus, but bokeh and shot is awesome!

06-29-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

You'd be a fool to shoot in JPEG on your safari. If space is your problem, buy more cards, they're cheap. Especially if you consider the price of a safari.

What's a couple more 8GB cards to accommodate RAWs or RAWs+ if it means you can save a once in a lifetime shot you had to catch quickly but didn't expose correctly?
06-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FrancisK7, I've been back from the safari for awhile now. This old thread was resurfaced because the moderator felt that I was saying the same thing in two threads. I'll go somewhere else to get help. Thanks. Feel free to close this thread too. BTW, I shot RAW.
06-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Lucky bastard