Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #61
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 152
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My K-5 + FA43 with 1.12 became almost ideal in terms of AF.
Guys seriously though. Anyone tryed this firmware with that lens or a prime 40 2.8 in my case?

My AF in low light is really alot more swift then before now in low light.

it got some kind of steady 1, 2 and lock Algorithm. Where in 1 you push the af button the camera calibrates in 2 and locks. But very consistant and in less then a second. Instead of juming around alot (but fast) before locking like before.

I'm talking about low, indirect soft yellow room light here.

01-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #62
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^ Quote
Guys seriously though. Anyone tryed this firmware with that lens or a prime 40 2.8 in my case?

My AF in low light is really alot more swift then before now in low light.

it got some kind of steady 1, 2 and lock Algorithm. Where in 1 you push the af button the camera calibrates in 2 and locks. But very consistant and in less then a second. Instead of juming around alot (but fast) before locking like before.

I'm talking about low, indirect soft yellow room light here.
I installed the latest FW last evening. So far I can't find any difference between this and 1.11.

I agree that the AF is very fast. However I'm finding (both before and after the FW upgrade) that the accuracy and repeatability is really not so good. Once I finish with the testing I'm doing I'll probably start a new thread with the test scenarios and results.
01-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #63
Inactive Account




Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 152
QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
I installed the latest FW last evening. So far I can't find any difference between this and 1.11.

I agree that the AF is very fast. However I'm finding (both before and after the FW upgrade) that the accuracy and repeatability is really not so good. Once I finish with the testing I'm doing I'll probably start a new thread with the test scenarios and results.
Accuarcy is of course in most cases more important. I just did a small test. My target was a wine cork with almost the same color shade as the wall behind it given the light conditions in extremely low, yellow ambiant light. at 2.8.



This photo give's you an idea of how low the light condition is.



for me personally i have to say. I feel better about AF in general with this update. Or maybe im just imagining things...
01-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #64
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 529
QuoteOriginally posted by ZizZ^ Quote
Accuarcy is of course in most cases more important. I just did a small test. My target was a wine cork with almost the same color shade as the wall behind it given the light conditions in extremely low, yellow ambiant light. at 2.8.



This photo give's you an idea of how low the light condition is.



for me personally i have to say. I feel better about AF in general with this update. Or maybe im just imagining things...
I'm not sure how good it is to have focus accuracy without repeatability (in fact it's not possible to have accuracy without repeatability). If only 2 out of 10 shots are optimally sharp and the other 8 are either front or back focused focused to varying degrees, how is that desirable? I'd prefer repeatability and then I could dial in micro adjust to obtain accuracy. As long as it isn't repeatable it's almost impossible to adjust for accuracy.

Now, it's possible that the issue of repeatability is constrained to my copy of the K-5. I tested my K100D Super and it is less accurate (and no micro adjust) but more repeatable (less shot-to-shot variation).


Last edited by areidjr; 01-15-2012 at 02:27 PM.
01-15-2012, 02:25 PM   #65
Senior Member
Pontax's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bornholm
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 160
Fw update and Aperture.

After updating, I have noticed that my K5 works perfectly with Aperture. Before I had problems importing and deleting pictures from Aperture.

Oh, and you can now assing GPS to the RAW/FX button.

Last edited by Pontax; 01-15-2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: New discoveries
01-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #66
OK5
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 28
Seems that this firmware update could be just a placebo, works for some, not so much for others.
01-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #67
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 4,989
Computer programming is tricky. Could be that the fixes are real, but still don't work if X &Y setting are set in a certain way.
01-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #68
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,255
The ability to add the GPS function to the RAW/Fx button appeared with firmware v1.11

01-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #69
Brooke Meyer
Guest




Okay using new firmware on two K-5s

Updated both of my K-5s Wed. night, 15 minutes total. Shot dancer in a ballet studio the next day. She needed need photos for upcoming Summer classes NY. Used 2 Pentax 540's in manual on Cowboy Studio trigger through umbrellas to stop jump action at 1/160 shutter speed. Worked fine.

Shot this today of musician warming up before a performance. Dark parlor of a restored historic RR hotel. Couple of overhead can lights, a few windows and pink walls. Manual exposure. Tamron 28-75 at 75, Pentax 540 P-TTL at -1.0 with a piece of black foam around the flash, like a 3/4 snoot, bounced off the opposite wall. Worked fine, got the shot and a lot more.
Attached Images
 
01-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #70
Junior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 43
i think Ricoh should implement the same strategy regarding firmware like ricoh gxr...

GXR / Digital Cameras | Ricoh Global
01-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,960
I did the firmware upgrade and don't see a difference, for what its worth...
01-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #72
Forum Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Örnsköldsvik, Sweden
Posts: 60
Tilted flash still overexposures. Metz 58 AF-1. Never had an overexposured image with the same flash on my K100D Super.
How hard can it be PENTAX/RICOH???
I think I´ll look for another brand now. Sad moment for a pentax shooter since -81.
01-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #73
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 116
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Updated both of my K-5s Wed. night, 15 minutes total. Shot dancer in a ballet studio the next day. She needed need photos for upcoming Summer classes NY. Used 2 Pentax 540's in manual on Cowboy Studio trigger through umbrellas to stop jump action at 1/160 shutter speed. Worked fine.

Shot this today of musician warming up before a performance. Dark parlor of a restored historic RR hotel. Couple of overhead can lights, a few windows and pink walls. Manual exposure. Tamron 28-75 at 75, Pentax 540 P-TTL at -1.0 with a piece of black foam around the flash, like a 3/4 snoot, bounced off the opposite wall. Worked fine, got the shot and a lot more.

Brooke, thanks for posting the nice pic : ) I have to ask you about your Tamron 28-75 and I'll keep it on topic by referencing it to this firmware update : ) How has your Tamron and K5 been without flash? I have always had a love-hate relationship with mine straight through its K10D days, but it seems to have more focus issues this past two years, though I can't tell exactly as I've put it away in frustration rather than rigorously test it. I love its tone but am also frustrated by its sweet spot and how the bokeh transitions are. I've done portraits where two subjects are flat next to each other and one is in and the other out though they are only I0 inches apart and on the same plane. Or a subject's nose is fairly sharp but their eyes aren't, and this is all over the focal range and f stops. I need to step back way farther than is desired to lessen this into acceptability. This would be unrelated to focus performance but has tempered any drive on my part to solve it's focus issues. I find that in natural light it very consistently auto-misfocuses slightly, and also with tungsten lights it is just a sure bet to not autofocus properly. However, with flash, both the unit's and my 540FGZ, the Tamron does not do this. Have you ever experienced these issues? And are you detecting any difference with it and the K5 after the update?

While I don't do enough troubleshooting to get more certainty (it's always a case of switching lenses, seeing good results, being relieved and then not looking back,and then there are a billion pictures to prepare, so I always say I'll troubleshoot it and never get around to it under non-under-the-gun situations). I would love to use the 28-75 more than taking it out every few months and putting it back in the drawer again! But I've just not had good fortune with it. What are your thoughts, pre and post update? My impression is that everything is equal to how it was before, not better or worse. (?) I have a feeling that if you and others say their 28-75 is not different after the update but was and is still useful, mine is going off to Tamron.

Thanks!

David

Last edited by hut234; 01-16-2012 at 09:59 AM.
01-16-2012, 03:25 PM   #74
Site Supporter
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,203
Anybody try it with the Sigma 610 Super? Mine gets massive overexposure when using tilt flash. Going to update tonight, just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this flash.
01-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #75
Pentaxian




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Blunsdon,Wiltshire, UK
Posts: 898
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Anybody try it with the Sigma 610 Super? Mine gets massive overexposure when using tilt flash. Going to update tonight, just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this flash.
I have been using a Sigma EF-610 Super for a while mainly for bird pictures.
This Treecreeper picture was taken in a very dark wood ,so dark that the bird looked like a black object moving up a black tree.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, firmware, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New K-x firmware? shoebox Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 04-12-2010 08:45 PM
Firmware Pentastic Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 03-17-2010 07:49 PM
KX Firmware HELP! kparkypark Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 02-27-2010 01:37 PM
Firmware 1.03 K7er Pentax DSLR Discussion 44 02-25-2010 04:07 PM
K-7 firmware 1.03 Jadran Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 02-17-2010 10:19 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top