Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What is "P LINE" and "P SHIFT"

Hi
I may be missing something obvious here...but advice appreciated even if it is RTFM!

Looking at the "E-Dial Programming" with the Program Exposure mode it is possible to
1) customise the green button to either "P" or "P LINE": what is the difference between "P" and "P LINE"
2) set either the front dial or rear dial to "P SHIFT": what is "P SHIFT"

PS I have just updated to software 1.12. But nothing to report yet.

01-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Program line. Page 102 of manual. You can set how the camera adjusts the exposure. When you set the dial, it adjusts the exposure as you have set.
01-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't think I have P Line, so can't say anything about that - also didn't think my manual explains Program mode too well.

P Shift locks the relationship between the shutter speed and aperture so that the exposure remains the same.

Example: You've set shutter to 1/60 and aperture to f4.0.

Without P Shift: You change f4.0 to f2.8 - and then you also have to compensate shutter speed by changing that to 1/125, to maintain same exposure.

With P Shift: You change f4.0 to f2.8 - shutter speed is automatically compensated to match the exposure. It will be set to 1/125 to archive same exposure.

Advantages: It's quicker. I love this feature.
01-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Don't think I have P Line, so can't say anything about that - also didn't think my manual explains Program mode too well.

P Shift locks the relationship between the shutter speed and aperture so that the exposure remains the same.

Example: You've set shutter to 1/60 and aperture to f4.0.

Without P Shift: You change f4.0 to f2.8 - and then you also have to compensate shutter speed by changing that to 1/125, to maintain same exposure.

With P Shift: You change f4.0 to f2.8 - shutter speed is automatically compensated to match the exposure. It will be set to 1/125 to archive same exposure.

Advantages: It's quicker. I love this feature.
This has always puzzled me, how does that differ to aperture or shutter priority mode?

01-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It's only available in P and Sv modes. Yes it is similar to Tv and Av mode.
01-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-rrr Quote
This has always puzzled me, how does that differ to aperture or shutter priority mode?
Not much, really, but you are locking down an exposure and then shifting. If you don't use the P Shift at all then there's a greater chance you might get a different exposure than the one you were interested in.

Sometimes I might meter off the sky, lock the exposure and then realize my aperture wasn't how I wanted it. I could change to desired aperture, meter again and then lock the reading - or I could just dial/shift the aperture. It's simpler.

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
It's only available in P and Sv modes. Yes it is similar to Tv and Av mode.
"P Shift" doesn't show up on the screen, but the behavior seems to be very much the same when I'm in Manual.
01-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

P Line is the type of program the AE program will use...it can be normal, put emphasis on faster shutter speeds, or emphasis on shallow or deeper DOF. P Line is set in camera menu 3.
P is the program mode, selectable on the mode dial, which determines auto AE according to the preset P Line. P shift shifts the aperture and shutter together but maintains the same exposure.
In several modes you can use the green button to return to the P mode from hyper Program mode (you shifted the AE, but want to return to the initial A and S settings), or return from a manually shifted exposure to one determined by the AE program line.