Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #1

another potential K5 buyer

Hello all,

I'm still undecided about purchasing the K5. This camera meets many of my requirements for a DSLR: compactness, sturdy and weatherproof, full control of all different parameters for exposure, good ergonomy and easy use, good HDR. My only hesitation is on one issue: reliability. I understand some have had unfortunate experiences with this camera due to different malfunctionings. The last thing I want to do, is to spend so much on a camera and see it out of order after a couple of years. So I need opinion, feedback, experience (2 years...) with the the K5.
Thanks so much.

01-16-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't know if I've owned the K-5 two years yet(maybe close) but so far, both units that were purchased within weeks of one another have performed flawlessly. My wife's camera has seen alot more video than mine, though I do alot of live view on tripod work and it gets used almost daily and has seen approximately 15K actuations to date

Hope this helps.
01-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Bought mine first month they were available. No issues at all
01-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am the same as bobmaxja. Bought one immediately they arrived in this country. No problems, not a hitch, and I use almost every day. Buy with confidence I say.
Remember, no product of any type cameras, electronics, appliances etc etc come with a guarantee of absolute total 100%reliability. That is what warranties are for.

01-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #5

Bought mine early spring last year and it failed (mirror flops). That said, I would not trade it, even to get back my Canon 5DII that I sold to buy the Pentax. Get the $20 extended warranty if you worry about it and enjoy.
01-16-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The first one I got had the spots on the sensor. I didn't really interfere with my shooting but I exchanged it without problems for a new one without money changing hands. I am very satisfied with the K-5.
01-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Anything electronic has a failure rate. The K-5 had a few more issues early on than most of us would like but as far as long term reliability it is a solid camera. Get the $20 warranty as noted above. If mine died today I would buy another one. It is really a joy to use.
01-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
Den
Veteran Member

Bought IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The procrastination is over!! Just purchased a K5 from Henry's in Canada. In looking at the difference in standard warranties (USA vs Canadian) the Canadian is for TWO years! The wife has even come around some on this. Camera was $969.00 + $12.95 shipping!!!! Now, I sit and wait for the postman I can even hear all my old M glass singing a happy tune

01-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Anything electronic has a failure rate. The K-5 had a few more issues early on than most of us would like but as far as long term reliability it is a solid camera. Get the $20 warranty as noted above. If mine died today I would buy another one. It is really a joy to use.
Lens button falling off is not really an 'electronics' problem

But I agree, it is an absolute pleasure and I would buy another one as well if mine died.
01-16-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
Pentaxian

No issues yet with mine. I've beat the crap out of my K10D for the past 4 years and will treat the K5 the same. If you spend some time in forums around the internet, you will find issues with every camera made. I would guess that most of the issues have been ironed out with the K5. Buy the extended warranty. It was 20 bucks at Adorama when I bought my camera.
01-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
I bought mine November 2010. I've not only been satisfied by its reliability, I've been wowed by its performance. It operates like I think cameras were meant to. In past I bought two K-7s. I bought two K-20s. I only bought one K-5. I was that impressed with the reliability factor.