Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Perhaps not as custom a fit, I'll take the trade-off for a more universal mount. As such, I use a Markins P65L with my Markins ball-head.

Markins.com

Works great on the K-5 alone, BG-4 Grip and DA*300.

Cheers... M

02-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input.

The Mestos PD-K5H Grip Plate has arrived and fits perfectly.

It is well finished with acceptable tolerances.
02-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #18
Site Supporter

SIRUI Ball Mounts/Plates

I have a beautiful Sirui tripod, two ball mounts and four grip plates. In fact I have four Sirius TY-50 grip plates. Two grip plates are large and two are small. I have the two large grip plates on my Bigma 50-500mm and my Tamron 70-200mm. The two smaler grip plates fit perfect on my K5 &K10 on the grips or on just the camera body. The Ball Mount is exceptional. Instant adjustment with one lever. I have one mounted on the tripod and one mounted on my Manfrotto mono pod.Used to run all Manfrotto gear but switched over. This Sirius stuff is just great. Super high quality and as a plus, it is affordable. Plates run from $25.00 for the small one and $32.00 for the larger. You can get an exceptional ball mount for around $170.00.
03-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Wimberley P5 fits anything, even though not specifically designed for any camera it will fit and stay in place - AND you can move the clamp to other devices if needed. It can be quite cumbersome if you forget a plate for your a telephoto lens and the clamp on the camera won't fit on the lens - bummer. The P5 also allow for off-center placmenet (second screw hole) so that the camera can be centered on a tripod with the battery pack mouinted.

Considering how many people in this forum are bitching about high prices for Pentax gear, I am not wondering that many companies do not offer special parts for the K5.

It may stay in place with the camera+grip just sitting on top like on a tripod, but I guarantee it's impossible for it to stay in place attached to a flash bracket with a top-heavy flash torquing on it when you go for a vertical shot. There is a reason some need the anti-twist feature of the Mestos plate, and for those individuals the Wimberley is absolutely useless.