Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Camera plate for D-BG4

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all

Just got the D-BG4 grip to go with my new K5, and to say I'm chuffed would be an understatement.

The K5 body felt like a toy in my largish hands, and I seemed to have a finger or two flapping in the breeze, but the grip has transformed the way the camera feels. How does bloody brilliant sound?

Pentax , in their wisdom, have moved the tripod mounting point off-centre, so my camera plate no longer fits the contour of the base.

I've googled and googled and the only dedicated plate I've found is a Mestos, here, on fleabay : Mestos PD-K5H Plate Bracket Pentax K5,K7 Vertical Grip | eBay

Anyone familiar with it, or found another brand?

01-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/133142-anybody-intereste...e-dbg-4-a.html

I think this thread talks about the different alternatives.
01-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Thanks for the reply Derek.

I had searched the forum and found that thread.

Was just wondering if there were alternatives.

Cheers

Kevin
01-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+ 1 one for the Mestos, works a treat.

01-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for that Bruce.

Damn, I just noticed that I've lost my Junior Member status.

Didn't mind being a Junior in my declining years.
01-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the info.

I've hit the 'BUY' button for the Mestos.

Cheers

Kevin
01-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote
Thanks for the reply Derek.

I had searched the forum and found that thread.

Cheers

Kevin
They are the only ones who make a plate for the DBG-4. Kirk and RRS, etc only make the plate for the K-5/7 without the grip.

01-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NotaxPen Quote
They are the only ones who make a plate for the DBG-4. Kirk and RRS, etc only make the plate for the K-5/7 without the grip.

As I said above..
QuoteQuote:
.I've googled and googled and the only dedicated plate I've found is a Mestos, here, on fleabay : Mestos PD-K5H Plate Bracket Pentax K5,K7 Vertical Grip | eBay
But thanks anyway
01-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #9

As you said above,

QuoteOriginally posted by trublubiker Quote

Cheers

Kevin

That is why I answered.
No there are no alternatives.
01-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interesting. I would like to hear more of this once you get your copy!

I am currently using my K-5 without grip when mounting it onto a tripod or panorama head exactly because the grip's tripod screw hole is off center. Note that my regular tripod heads are all Manfrotto (ball head and three-way head for tripod, tilt head for monopod) equipped with their RC2 quick release system. The NodaNinja3 panorama head has its own plate.

Would this plate allow me to mount either a RC2 plate or the NodalNinja plate onto it? If so, I'll hit that buy button as well! However, I only see pictures of the side that attached to the camera. I would be interested in seeing the other side of the plate.

Tx! Wim
01-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

I am currently using my K-5 without grip when mounting it onto a tripod or panorama head exactly because the grip's tripod screw hole is off center. Note that my regular tripod heads are all Manfrotto (ball head and three-way head for tripod, tilt head for monopod) equipped with their RC2 quick release system. The NodaNinja3 panorama head has its own plate.

Would this plate allow me to mount either a RC2 plate or the NodalNinja plate onto it? If so, I'll hit that buy button as well! However, I only see pictures of the side that attached to the camera. I would be interested in seeing the other side of the plate.

Tx! Wim
This is a plate designed to fit a quick release clamp.

The Mestos grip plate is Arca Swiss compatible, so not compatible with your Manfrotto clamps

If you can fit an Arca Swiss type clamp to your Nodal Ninja it should work OK.

As far as attaching your existing plates to it I can't comment on that possibility till I have a look at it in about 3 weeks..

The other alternative may be to get an Arca Swiss clamp like this: PhotoClam PC-59N Quick Shoe Photo clam PC59N NEW | eBay

I started with Manfrotto, still use my 3 way pan tilt for panos, but switched to Markins with Arca Swiss compatibility and much better engineered.

Cheers

Kevin
01-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got...

Camdapter

I went the route above with the shoulder strap as well. Seems to work - no loosening. I don't use a tripod often so I can't comment on the attachment.
01-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #13

I've had my Mestos plate for several months now. Works great and stays attached as it doesn't interfere with holding the camera/grip vertically.

It's surprising RRS or Kirk don't have one...
02-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

Tx! Wim
Hi Wim

Here is a pic of the other side of the plate. The mounting screw does not protrude above the mounting surface when screwed in.

Cheers

Kevin
Attached Images

02-11-2012, 07:34 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Wimberley P5 fits anything, even though not specifically designed for any camera it will fit and stay in place - AND you can move the clamp to other devices if needed. It can be quite cumbersome if you forget a plate for your a telephoto lens and the clamp on the camera won't fit on the lens - bummer. The P5 also allow for off-center placmenet (second screw hole) so that the camera can be centered on a tripod with the battery pack mouinted.

Considering how many people in this forum are bitching about high prices for Pentax gear, I am not wondering that many companies do not offer special parts for the K5.

Last edited by zapp; 02-11-2012 at 01:26 PM.