Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

K5 Underexposure problem with Aperture 3

Has anyone else experienced an underexposure problem with their K5 when uploading into Aperture 3? I never had issues with this before until recently (maybe last month). I always shoot raw. I have not downloaded the recent firmware update as I think it only involves GPS. I also use LR as well and when importing my pics into there the exposures are fine. In Aperture 3 I have to seriously increase the exposure as well as brightness to get anything out of them. In camera on the LCD they look fine. I think I narrowed it down to Aperture 3 and not the camera. Anyone having similar experiences? Thanks.

Jason

01-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I believe this is more appropriate in the Digital Processing, Software, and Printing section as for sure the K-5 is not at fault here.
See you need to change your setting in Aperture
01-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigkidneys Quote
Has anyone else experienced an underexposure problem with their K5 when uploading into Aperture 3? I never had issues with this before until recently (maybe last month). I always shoot raw. I have not downloaded the recent firmware update as I think it only involves GPS. I also use LR as well and when importing my pics into there the exposures are fine. In Aperture 3 I have to seriously increase the exposure as well as brightness to get anything out of them. In camera on the LCD they look fine. I think I narrowed it down to Aperture 3 and not the camera. Anyone having similar experiences? Thanks.

Jason
Probably the latest Apple Camera RAW updates messed up the settings for K-5 RAWs. I'm still stuck on Camera RAW Update 3.0 because it's the last version that reads my K-x RAWs correctly.

Here's a list of the versions, and which cameras each version supports. You might want to downgrade to the first version to provide K-5 support, to avoid later-introduced bugs:

Mac OS X v10.5: Supported digital camera RAW formats

You don't see this issue in LR because it uses it's own RAW converter. Apple RAW support is lacuster for other brands besides Nikon and Canon, apparently.
01-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for that. I have been running lion for months now and this just recently popped up. How exactly would I downgrade?

01-18-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigkidneys Quote

Jason
Aperture 3 working fine here with my K-5.
You probably should try re-installing it.

Cheers, Jack
01-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jackassp Quote
Aperture 3 working fine here with my K-5.
You probably should try re-installing it.

Cheers, Jack
Are you using PEF or DNG? And does it affect both?

Try trashing the prefs first.

Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Library/Preferences/com.apple.aperture.plist

You could also try deleting the cache files.

Delete all the files in the following folders

Hard Drive/Library/Caches
Hard Drive/System/Library/Caches
Hard Drive/Users/(Your user)/Library/Caches

Then restart your Mac.

In 10.7 the User/Library folder is hidden so you will have to use Go to Folder... in the Go menu or use the terminal.
01-19-2012, 03:02 AM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Another happy Aperture 3 user, but was having issues when I first updated to Lion it was so slow!
All good now though.
01-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Turn off highlight correction under d-range settings on your cam.

01-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Simico, you rock! That was exactly it. Thanks everyone for helping out on this.